Author Topic: Jazz Mk4 European Press Release 12/02/2020 Priced from 22000 Euros in Germany  (Read 6733 times)

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
I'm slightly disappointed by the mpg numbers though. A 3 cyl 1.2 or 1.3 liter engine would have shaved off a little bit more. But I understand that development costs are high.
Honda has the 3 cylinder 1 litre engine (in the Civic but with a turbo) which, I suspect, isn't potent enough without the turbo to move the Jazz when in direct drive. I would also assume that the engine will be run as full Atkinson cycle in order to get a bit more efficiency and suspect it will be around 1.5 litres given that the CR-V has a 2 litre engine. Atkinson cycle to provide efficient power combined with a motor to provide extra torque when needed seems to be the standard hybrid recipe.

I hope that Honda has spent a bit of money on measures to get the engine up to optimum operating temperature as quickly as possible as cold engines guzzle a lot of extra fuel. The battery will probably be used to get the car off the driveway but the engine then needs to warm up quickly. Previous info suggests that the battery is only 1kWh, which isn't a lot. I have to wonder if doubling the capacity (not a lot of extra cost) would make a further improvement to the mpg.
Considering that an engine used for electricity generation has to reach different tasks from an engine used in a standard car, I think that an atkinson naturally aspirated is much better than a 1.0 turbo in NVH, emission and efficiency.
Concerning the warm-up, modern engines are considered "warmed" when they reach about 50°C  (about 120°F), when the ecu abandons warming strategies (enrichment, ignition timing) because the catalitic converter reach the working temperature.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 09:02:22 AM by jazzaro »

Tags: