Author Topic: How do we stop burning fossil fuels?  (Read 9988 times)

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
Re: How do we stop burning fossil fuels?
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2020, 04:30:27 PM »

Mind you, when I was a bus driver I loved driving the buses. It was stopping to pick up passengers that spoilt the job!
Like  :D

culzean

• Approved Member
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2020, 08:18:47 PM »
But what is the cost of not trying?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2020, 09:02:27 PM »

The cost will be more climate change scientist ships stuck in sea ice that is not supposed
to be there,  the sea ice obviously has never heard of global warming - oops !

https://www.thenewamerican.com/tech/environment/item/17277-global-warming-alarmists-stuck-in-antarctic-sea-ice
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2020, 10:11:18 PM »

The cost will be more climate change scientist ships stuck in sea ice that is not supposed

https://www.thenewamerican.com/tech/environment/item/17277-global-warming-alarmists-stuck-in-antarctic-sea-ice

I've just finished reading Michael Palin's book Erebus about Arctic and Antarctic exploration. It gives a good perspective on the changes over the last 150 years and not just an isolated incident.

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2020, 10:32:40 PM »

Mind you, when I was a bus driver I loved driving the buses. It was stopping to pick up passengers that spoilt the job!
Like  :D

Don't tell me you were one of those bus drivers who would accelerate or brake at just the right moment to keep the passengers without seats on their toes.... :)

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2020, 08:58:47 AM »
Don't tell me you were one of those bus drivers who would accelerate or brake at just the right moment to keep the passengers without seats on their toes.... :)
I never got that good. Didn't stick it out long enough.

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2020, 01:14:17 PM »
I never got that good. Didn't stick it out long enough.
I remember travelling as a passenger on buses with pre-selector gearboxes. It didn't seem to take much skill to shoogle the passengers about on these.

Last edit changed pre-selected to pre selector. (might as well get the terminology right)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 03:55:15 PM by JimSh »

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2020, 01:31:30 PM »
Ours were all push-button automatic. And the only time you were allowed to use reverse was in the depot, with a banksman.

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2020, 08:33:21 PM »

THE OTHER SIDE OF THE STORY.

The ship was not there for scientific purposes but to recreate a historical voyage.
Although there were some scientists on board there were also tourists and journalists.

"The trip on the Akademik Shokalskiy was aimed at emulating a 1911-1914 expedition by the Australian explorer, Sir Douglas Mawson.
"This kind of commemorative expedition has no interest from a scientific point of view," said Frenot."
https://phys.org/news/2014-01-french-polar-chief-derides-antarctic.html

The ship became trapped due to freak weather conditions due to a change in the direction of wind.
As with most accidents an accumulation of minor incidents combined to exacerbate the situation.

Here is a fuller account (the highlighting is not mine but appeared on the article as retrieved from the internet)
The first part of the article is more technical. The second part more readable.

https://northwestpassage2014.blogspot.com/2014/01/why-did-antarctic-expedition-ship-get.html

Latest edit. Added link to French report.
Latest edit reformatted with minor additions.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 09:18:48 AM by JimSh »

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2020, 08:22:49 PM »
For the naysayers.
World ‘way off track’ on climate targets, UN experts warn after five hottest years on record.

https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/climate-change-crisis-global-warming-un-targets-world-meteorological-organisation-a9390781.html

culzean

• Approved Member

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2020, 07:11:20 PM »
The planet is spinning at 1000mph, traveling round the sun at 67,000 mph and our little cluster of planets is traveling around the galaxy at approaching 2,000,000 mph - what could possibly go wrong ? I am only surprised that our climate is as stable as it is, we may just be going through a 'warm patch' in space, also it only needs a small change to the tilt of Earths axis to make a big difference to the climate,  and that tilt changes by 'progression' over time and also wobbles like a spinning top does when it slows down or gets disturbed...

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #73 on: March 12, 2020, 12:32:10 AM »
and that tilt changes by 'progression' over time
precession

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2020, 08:15:17 AM »
The planet is spinning at 1000mph, traveling round the sun at 67,000 mph and our little cluster of planets is traveling around the galaxy at approaching 2,000,000 mph - what could possibly go wrong ? I am only surprised that our climate is as stable as it is, we may just be going through a 'warm patch' in space, also it only needs a small change to the tilt of Earths axis to make a big difference to the climate,  and that tilt changes by 'progression' over time and also wobbles like a spinning top does when it slows down or gets disturbed...
A few other inaccuracies in your post:-
I suppose the solar system must be moving at about 2000000mph relative to something but the accepted figure for moving round the galaxy is more like 500,000mph.

There are no "warm patches " in space the Earth could move through unless it moved very close to another star (and I think we would have noticed).
The temperature in space is about 3degrees above absolute zero ie about -270degrees C. The Earth is warmed by the Sun only.

A change in the tilt in the Earth's axis would affect the Northern and Southern hemispheres differently. One would get warmer and one would get cooler. Both hemisheres are warming.

Last edit Punctuation
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 08:42:24 AM by JimSh »

Tags:

anything