Author Topic: Jazz 2020 Rattling noise  (Read 10453 times)

ndavey1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SR 2020
Jazz 2020 Rattling noise
« on: March 19, 2024, 04:58:51 PM »
Hi. Just started to hear an intense rattling noise seeming to come from the engine when accelerating and normally hear it on motorway.  Had the car from new Oct 2020, and it’s only just started happening. It’s a very tinny sound when accelerating.  All good other than that.  Any ideas?

Marco1979

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Crosstar 2021 Crystal Red
Re: Jazz 2020 Rattling noise
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2024, 05:05:21 PM »
Is the sound present when in direct drive (gentle acceleration) or in hybrid mode (firmer acceleration)?
That might point to an engine/clutch thing or an engine/generator thing.

ndavey1

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2024, 05:39:31 PM »
I’ll have to check on that one tomorrow and observe the graphic when it occurs.

ndavey1

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2024, 07:28:23 AM »
So I needed petrol and filled up with 97 ron instead of the usual 95. I haven’t heard the noise since. Must be some kind of pinking although wouldn’t have thought that would occur on a well serviced 3 and a half year old engine.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2024, 09:13:09 AM »
Maybe your previous fill of 95 was a dodgy batch.    There have been reports in the past that some supermarket petrol is not always the finest quality. And some other petrol retailers may get their supplies from the same source.   I think I heard that even the big well known brands sometimes share the same supply depot.
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2024, 09:37:15 AM »
So I needed petrol and filled up with 97 ron instead of the usual 95. I haven’t heard the noise since. Must be some kind of pinking although wouldn’t have thought that would occur on a well serviced 3 and a half year old engine.

This comment brings to mind a situation, I had some 20 odd years ago whilst running a new Landrover Freelander.
I had similar noises, which I reported to my dealer. He asked what fuel was I using?  To which I replied Supermarket fuel.
His advice was to try a tankfull of branded fuel ie Shell, Esso or whatever.
The noise went away and I have never used Supermarket fuel since.
Fuel consumption was also improved, which negated the  slight increase in cost.

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2024, 04:46:44 PM »
I believe there not many independant refineries now and in many areas all the petrol comes from one source (particularly Scotland) regardless of what name is on the forecourt.

The difference is in what additives are put in the tanker dependant on who is getting what and likely some just get all the same and even the forecourt won't know, particularly supermarkets.

Personally never had a problem related to to fuel like this. In all my 15 Honda cars and some others.

I do remember many years ago Vauxhall cars had a severe problem with I think Shell petrol having a 'new improved' fuel.

chicksee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2020 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2024, 07:10:30 PM »
Having worked for Shell for a number of years, I can say we used to work to a 95.4/95.5 octane whereas the supermarkets used bang on 95  but these days without refineries your quite right in saying petrol is pretty much the same wherever you buy it.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2024, 04:54:38 AM »
Rattle diagnosis
Let's be careful out there !

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2024, 10:10:49 AM »
Possibly the E5 vs E10  adds an extra dimension. I think i read somewhere that the proportion of ethanol added can be a bit variable even between E5 and E10.  I dont think I am confusing this with the fact that very High Ethanol percentage fuel sold in some countries (E90 etc)  sometimes  has a lower proportion of ethanol than claimed when sold in winter.

Maybe a combination of marginal octane rating, skimping on additives and an unfavourable E content might sometimes cause some cars to run less smoothly and silently than usual.   But the car should be Ok on decent quality E10.     
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

ndavey1

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2024, 11:30:38 AM »
Yeah I just can’t understand it. I only use Costco fuel as it’s at least 10p cheaper than everywhere else and it’s meant to be good quality. But I’ve been driving a couple of days with the 97ron e5 premium and haven’t heard the tinny rattle noise at all, but heard every m25 journey for last few months. Strange!

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2024, 01:26:38 PM »
Why not send an email to Costco I've found they do care about UK customers. Been using their fuei for many years in Honda & old Subaru's.

Whiteshark

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk 4 jazz Hybrid EX Chrystal Red
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2024, 05:17:35 PM »
I also only use Costco fuel, which is supposed to be not only high quality, but also contains additives. I have never had a problem, but I am sure they would be interested if you raised it. The base product for their fuel incidentally is Esso, from Fawley. This is sold at the Chester site, which is only 5  miles or so from Stanlow refinery, owned by Essar. The fuel is pumped by pipeline from Southampton to a distribution depot at Manchester and then delivered to site by tanker from there. They usually have 8 tanker deliveries per day. Just in case anybody wanted to know ;D

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2024, 03:41:53 AM »
Pipeline from Southampton to Manchester  :o
Let's be careful out there !

Bristol_Crosstar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance Sport