Author Topic: Dunlop SP2030 tyres - excessive wear on inside edge and cracking between treads  (Read 143990 times)

guest1723

had the tyre problem with a previous new car , after 8000 miles both front tyres were worn same as you described . took it back to dealer and they fixed the tracking and halved me for the price of 2 new tyres .

eljuero

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 Comfort
INSIDE EDGE FRONT TYRES: The inside edge/shoulder - just the first inch - of the original fit Dunlops  is wearing at about double the rate of the rest of the tread.

Yep, the same. After 30k km  there is more than 1 mm difference.
100+1 HP

Garyman

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 ES
Its funny how despite posting the above, i have never physically checked my own front tyre until recently and found that both my front tyres, the outside edge is wearing faster than the rest  :o

Pretty sure my tracking is fine but will take it to my local garage tomorrow and check it out.

eljuero

• Approved Member
Its funny how despite posting the above, i have never physically checked my own front tyre until recently and found that both my front tyres, the outside edge is wearing faster than the rest  :o

Pretty sure my tracking is fine but will take it to my local garage tomorrow and check it out.

Hey Gary, and I'm pretty sure what they will told you  ;D
100+1 HP

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
Had the first service today at 6100miles and have been told that the front tyres are worn out and should be replaced.

They are Dunlop SP 185/55R16 83H and are worn down to the legal limit on the outside edges. The middle of the tread shows 4mm remaining, with 3mm on the inner edges.
I am assured that there is no fault with the tracking.

Even the rear tyre seem to have worn heavily since both edges are worn to 4mm, with 6mm in the middle.

Would there be any merit in complaining to Dunlop, or must I regard this life as normal? certainly in fifty odd years of motoring, I've not experienced this before.

Alternatively, can members offer any advice regarding alternative makes of tyre, as quite obviously I shall not be replacing them with Dunlop.

Regards.

guest1521

Complain to Dunlop? Might be worthwhile as 6100 miles is unduly short life. At 12500 miles (first A-service) my Dunlops 175/65R15 were measured as... fronts 4/5/4mm across the tread, rears 5/6/6mm.

I'd say, despite what Honda assert, your fronts might suggest a tracking issue... too much toe-in. By 12500 miles, both my front Dunlops had excess wear on the very inside edge... not noted by the technician's measurements. Too much toe-out. Honda technician asserted 'tracking OK' but, as said, he hadn't noted the markedly excess wear of just one inch width round the very inside edge of both tyres. I had the tracking checked and then adjusted by an independent tyre fitter while I watched and tyres 'rotated'. £26... Honda quoted £45 for the tracking alone; it's not a warranty item - understandably. Though I'd swear my GE Jazz had never been kerbed or hit an unduly large pothole to knock tracking out of whack. I don't normally rotate my tyres because, for safety, I prefer best tread always on the rear but I want to see what happens to my now reasonably evenly worn fronts before renewing them. And we are moving - hopefully - into drier weather/drier roads.

Your rear tyres? The wear on both outside edges you have described sounds like the classic symptom of a tad underinflation.

New tyres? I have seen Culzean recommend Michelin Energy Savers on this forum because they are 'quiet'. I've had them on my cars previously and like them for that, good ride, pretty good all weather grip... and for slow wear.

In my Honda dealer the other day, I noticed a new Jazz in the showroom was Michelin Energy Saver shod. Michelins can be had from Costco at a very good price... Mytyres online worth considering, too.

eljuero

• Approved Member
I have more than 47k km on my counter and still first set of summer (Michelin energy saver)and winter (some Dunlop) tyres. Will see when I swap between sets if winter set is still ok. As I can see it should be.
100+1 HP

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
After 19000 miles in a 1.4 ES manual, my Dunlop 175/65's were measured as 5mm front and 6mm rear on the full width.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
6K is too short a life , so ask the dealer to recheck alignment.
Certainly go to Dunlop customer care and seek thier views.

Are you amember of motoring org ? if so ask for their input.

Finally do you drive over a lot of road humps as these saftey measure cause premature wear.

As regards replacemtns try Blackcirlces.com - now via Tesco or mytyres.co.uk

I replaced the Bridgestones with Michelin - improved ride etc etc but at 25-28k.

Let's know how you get on

Garyman

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 ES
I recently had my ES 2nd service at just over 12k miles and my front tyres were 2/3/2mm and was recommended that they need to be changed at £75 a corner.  The rear were 5/6/5 mm.

I had noticed that the front outer edger were pretty worned but I had a laser wheel alignment check and all was well and good but I do know that the GE has some toe (not sure in or out) to help with cornering (its actually on one of the videos posted on the forum.

I can only imagine this was the reason for mine.

As for you, I would definitely get the wheel alignement checked out as they should wear down that quickly at 6,100 miles!

Gary

guest1060

Really does sound like serious underinflation on all 4 and tracking problems with front.

You should get a minimum of 25000 miles.

On my CR-V I experienced outer edge wear on the fronts.  Had them laser checked at Kwik-fit who said it was all OK.  Very good of them not to charge me!  When I asked them what could be the alternative explanation they simply said "you get this sometimes with heavier cars caused by cornering"

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
I replaced the original Dunlops with Continentals at 18 months old (about 16,000 miles). The fronts I'd kerbed (slid sideways on packed snow), but the rears were getting low too. The Continentals seem to be wearing much less.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
Hi Lads

Many thanks for the replies so far and this is an update on the current situation.
I took the car this morning to a well known local independent tyre company to have the Tracking checked.
The equipment they use is a brand new laser system which checks all 4 wheels and gives a printout of the results and I specifically asked them to check but not adjust.
The Honda handbook states that the Toe-in should be 0.0 +/- 3.0mm.
The Laser system quotes the specification in degrees and specifies 0.0° +/-3.24°.
The results obtained indicate that the front wheels are Toeing in -3.41°, which I think matches the wear pattern on the tyres. All other dimensions were within specification. It cost me £18

I then returned to my Honda dealer and discussed the results. They have now booked the car in for further investigation in a couple of weeks time, to check and adjust as necessary. Discussions will then follow on what to do about the existing tyres!

One or two of the members seem to suggest low inflation as part of the cause, but I can only say that the pressures are to specification. Whether there would be any benefit in slightly over-inflating, I'm not sure.

In the meantime I would welcome any further information that members can offer regarding the sort of tyre life that they get.

Best regards

guest1060

Thanks for feeding back.

Noddy point really but are you confident about your pressure gauge?  Eg, I wouldn't trust one of those gauges attached to foot pumps.

guest907

I normally run the front 3 - 4 psi higher than recommended. Usually had around 30K for a set of fronts and not had to replace rears yet before car goes. Have noticed however reading tyre wear issues that low mileage cars seem to suffer wear at low mileages?, I'm covering about 25000 miles per year.

Tags:

anything