Author Topic: 2017 Honda Civic on sale in March priced from £18,235  (Read 8743 times)

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
2017 Honda Civic on sale in March priced from £18,235
« on: January 18, 2017, 12:00:41 PM »

2017 Honda Civic on sale in March priced from £18,235
18 January 2017, 11:58 am

Pricing and specifications for the 10th-generation Civic range have been revealed; the model has two new turbo petrol units and a hybrid is likely too The 2017 Honda Civic will go on sale in Britain this March priced from £18,235.

At launch it comes with a choice of two new turbocharged petrol engines: a 1.0-litre three-cylinder with 127bhp and a 1.5-litre four-cylinder unit with 180bhp. Both are available with a six-speed manual gearbox or a CVT auto, and the smaller unit produces as little as 106g/km of CO2.

The entry version of the 10th-generation Civic is the S. It comes with the 1.0-litre and is mated to the manual gearbox. The most expensive model, the Prestige, comes with the 1.5-litre and, when using the optional CVT 'box, is priced from £27,480.

Between these two trims are five more levels - SE, SR, EX, Sport and Sport Plus. Metallic paint is offered as an option on all specs, priced at £525.

Click here to read our review of the 2017 Honda Civic 1.5 VTEC Turbo Sport

The 10th-generation Civic has been created to “fight back”, according to Civic project boss Mitsuru Kiraya, who said at the Civic’s launch last year that the outgoing car is “too conservative for younger buyers”. He added: “Markets have changed since this generation, while rivals have improved their offerings.”

The next Honda Civic Type R has been previewed in a concept. Click here for more

The five-door hatchback will be followed by a new Civic Tourer estate and Type R hot hatch. However, the saloon and three-door variants, built primarily for the US market, won’t be offered in the UK. The current estate accounts for 20% of Civic sales and the Type R, a halo product for the brand, makes up 4%.

Civic built in Britain

Like its predecessor, the new Civic will be built at Honda’s Swindon plant. The factory is the new global production hub for the Civic, with Honda confirming a £200 million investment in new production technologies and processes.

Previously, Swindon exported the hatch to Europe only. Now it will produce 40% of its Civic output for North America, 40% for Europe and 20% for the UK market.

These new processes include what Honda describes as a “high-efficiency joining technique”, where the entire inner frame is assembled first, followed by the outer frame and then the joints. This defies the conventional method of starting with body frame assembly.

Honda says the method contributes to the overall stiffness of the body. It claims the new Civic has 52% greater torsional stiffness than its predecessor while being 16kg lighter.

This is achieved with the new ‘unibody’ platform that uses front and rear bulkhead rings, which encircle the interior cabin space, as well as cross braces in front of the engine bay and between the bases of the A and B-pillars to create further platform rigidity.

The hatchback is 4497mm long, 1800mm wide and 1421mm tall, with a wheelbase of 2700mm. This makes it 130mm longer, 30mm wider and 20mm lower than the previous generation, with a 30mm longer wheelbase.

Engines for the new Civic

Alongside the two aforementioned petrol units, the old Civic's 118bhp 1.6-litre diesel option, which currently makes up 50% of UK sales, will be carried over but tuned to improve its power output and CO2 emissions.

A hybrid is also likely to arrive during the car's lifecycle with Kiraya confirming to Autocar that the new platform can accommodate such a powertrain. However, an all-electric Civic is not possible with this platform. "The platform was designed to have the possibility to incorporate electrification for hybrid," he said. "Full electric is not considered for this platform, just hybrid."

Honda has aimed for a simple and sleek cabin design, which incorporates a 7.0in touchscreen display on which you can access its second-generation Connect infotainment and connectivity systems, which integrate with both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. There is also optional Garmin satellite navigation with free map updates for five years and different audio options, including a four-speaker, 160W system, an eight-speaker, 180W unit and a premium system with 11 speakers.

Interior space has improved, thanks to the longer wheelbase. Rear leg room has increased by a claimed 95mm and there’s more shoulder room in the front and rear. Boot space remains the same as before, at 478 litres, which is considerably more than the 360 litres of its Volkswagen Golf rival. Honda has ditched its socalled Magic Seats and instead reverted to a more traditional 60/40 rear seat split.

The Civic will have a host of safety systems fitted to all four trim levels. These include a Collision Mitigation Braking System, Forward Collision Warning, Lane Keeping Assist System, adaptive cruise control, traffic sign recognition and blindspot information.

Source: Autocar RSS Feed

« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 02:53:31 PM by RichardA »

guest1372

Re: 2017 Honda Civic on sale in March priced from £18,235
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 01:41:42 PM »
Telegraph PR day review - 4/5 stars

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/honda/2017-honda-civic-review-drive-new-british-built-family-hatchback/

They tried but just couldn't resist putting CVT & rubber band in the same sentance.

"The gearchange, with its reworked strategy is much improved on the outgoing car. Perhaps best of all, however, is the CVT option, which seems better suited to the torque of this little engine without the rubber-band effect of its forebears. I preferred the power and torque output of the 1.5, though."
--
TG

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 07:48:39 AM »
We await the 1l engine in the Jazz at a competative price......

RichardA

• Topic Starter
  • Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 08:14:29 PM »
A good review of the new Civic:

! No longer available

Choice of two turbo petrols - 1.0-litre three cylinder 129bhp or 1.5-litre four cylinder 180bhp, with the Type R and diesel to follow soon. 1.0-litre in SR trim looks like the sweet spot with 17" alloy wheels, dual zone climate control, Apple Carplay and Android Auto.

MaxFrames

• Approved Member
  • Jazzman since 2004
  • My Honda: Mk I (2004) Honda Jazz 1.2 i-DSi S - manual transmission - Ice Blue Metallic
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 09:58:04 PM »
That is the car I am getting (the 1.0 litre CVT). I'd like to also keep my Jazz GD, but it has been acting up lately and I'm afraid it may be end of the line :(
At stake.

Tags: news civic 

anything