Author Topic: Autostop inversion  (Read 6092 times)

Graham Dicker

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 CVT 2016
Autostop inversion
« on: September 25, 2016, 07:27:04 PM »
I am finding more and more that Autostop works best for me in 'inverted mode'. I mean by inverted mode that I turn it off most of the time and only turn it on when about to stop in circumstances where I can be pretty sure of a stop of at least15 seconds. Otherwise it stops the engine at very inconvenient places like T junctions where the lag between pressing the gas pedal and starting to move causes anxiety. After I have used it to save some fuel, I immediately disable it again until the next long stop. Has anyone else tried using it that way?

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
Re: Autostop inversion
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 07:40:23 PM »
I do a similar thing in that I turn it off I can see that there will be a short stop or several short stops in succession. My mechanical sympathy is triggered every time the engine restarts.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 07:44:12 PM by Deeps »

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 09:51:19 PM »
I think the idle stop is fine as it is. It's something that I think Honda have done very well. I sometimes choose to creep on the brake to avoid idle stop triggering but mostly I'm happy to let it do it's thing. Very occasionally I will press on the accelerator just as idle stop is switching the engine off but it's a rare event. It only happens if I misjudge traffic conditions typically when some numpty leaves a roundabout by my road without indicating and from the wrong lane.

All it takes in my experience is a little forward planning. Start lifting off when the lights go to amber or when you see an approaching gap if waiting at a t-junction. By the time you can move the engine will be running and ready.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 10:12:17 PM »
In general the stop start system works well, but if I can see it will be activating several times in a short period of time I switch it off.

guest6316

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 07:34:28 AM »
I also think the idle stop works absolutely fine as it is, certainly does on my Jazz anyway.
Its really just a matter of planning on approach and setting off, brake pedal control works fine as well.
Much better to use idle stop, it saves us sitting there in queues pumping out pollutants all over school kids and other pedestrians.

I've seen idle stop employed on other cars and I think Honda have got this just right, here's one happy bunny anyway. ;)   

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 08:11:14 AM »
I'm another person who uses the moderate pressure on the brake pedal facility to prevent the autostop from activating (a brake pedal symbol shows in the multi-function display). It's particularly useful when first in the queue at a busy roundabout when quick response is needed to get into a gap.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 10:09:23 AM »
Another trick I use sometimes is just to briefly release then reapply the brake pedal to cancel idle stop. But yeah along with the auto main-beam feature I'd say it's one of the new toys that I think is well implemented.

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 11:35:56 AM »
I think autostop works completely differently on CVT and manual cars.

I have CVT and very happy with it. Engine starts on lifting from brake, not after pressing accelerator. Engine is running by the time I have moved foot from brake to accelerator. It can be prevented completely by less brake pressure once the car has stopped. I was nervous of the autostop before I got the car, and thought I might turn it off a lot...in practictice I haven't turned it off once.

I suspect the happy ones in this thread have CVT and the less happy ones have manual.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 11:55:50 AM by mikebore »

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 12:04:37 PM »
I think autostop works completely differently on CVT and manual cars.

I have CVT and very happy with it. Engine starts on lifting from brake, not after pressing accelerator.
I'm not sure that's how the manual version restarts. I thought it restarted when you depressed the clutch pedal.

Actually thinking about it another thing I do is to try and maintain a steady pace in traffic queues by maintaining a gap rather than hanging off the bumper of the vehicle in front. It makes for a smoother drive, saves fuel and brake wear and means fewer opportunities for idle stop to kick in.

It might change come winter though as traffic becomes heavier and leaving gaps in traffic queues is less well tolerated by my fellow travellers  :(

https://www.quora.com/Do-drivers-who-keep-extremely-huge-gaps-between-their-car-and-the-car-in-front-of-them-in-heavy-very-slow-stop-and-go-traffic-cause-the-congested-traffic-to-be-worse
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 12:14:44 PM by andruec »

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 12:41:48 PM »
I suspect the happy ones in this thread have CVT and the less happy ones have manual.
Well, mine's a manual and I'm very happy with the Idle-Stop, I haven't even thought about turning it off and I can't think of circumstances when I would.
I'm not sure that's how the manual version restarts. I thought it restarted when you depressed the clutch pedal.
Correct. The engine stops when the car's stationary, you put the gear lever in neutral, and you lift the clutch (personally I always have the handbrake on then, but I don't know whether that's essential for the Idle-Stop to work). It restarts when you depress the clutch before engaging gear and moving off. So if you can see you're only going to be stopped briefly (eg T-junction or roundabout), you've either anticipated the traffic conditions correctly and can keep moving at low speed, or you're stopped with the brake on and you just keep your foot on the clutch so the engine doesn't stop and you're ready to move off smartly when the traffic allows. To me it's very natural, it really isn't a big deal, and there's no need to turn the system off.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2016, 04:45:00 PM »

I too have a manual and am very happy with the autostop.  You have to be stationary, no need for handbrake just have to have foot off the clutch.  And I am pleased to say that you do not need your foot on the brake, unlike you poor CVT drivers who consistently blind the guy behind you.  I cannot believe that being in park with the handbrake on is not sufficient to keep the engine in autostop.  Come on Honda!

To make the engine start again on the manual version, either depress the clutch, let the car start to move (rolling start on a hill) or move the steering wheel.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 04:47:59 PM by ColinS »

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2016, 04:59:09 PM »
I cannot believe that being in park with the handbrake on is not sufficient to keep the engine in autostop.  Come on Honda!
For what it's worth it's not just Honda. It seems to be standard on all automatics with idle stop. Weird.

edam

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 1.3 SE CVT
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2016, 06:56:34 PM »
I do most of my driving, round town,  in S so the auto stop does not function. Its only if I think I'm going to be held up for a  while that I will put it into D before I stop

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2016, 07:04:10 PM »
I do most of my driving, round town,  in S so the auto stop does not function. Its only if I think I'm going to be held up for a  while that I will put it into D before I stop

What happens if you select neutral?

Vic.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2016, 10:18:49 PM »
What happens if you select neutral?

Vic.
As long as you keep your foot on the brake, the engine doesn't restart.

Tags:

anything