Author Topic: Ground clearance  (Read 10902 times)

edam

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 1.3 SE CVT
Re: Ground clearance
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2016, 12:19:17 PM »
I have read that the maximum height a speed hump can be is 100mm which is pretty close to the Jazz,s clearance.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2016, 01:11:20 PM »
I don't see the link, this is a Mk3, a totally different car.
You've posted that comment before and I still think you're the one not making any sense.

If someone owned a Jazz Mk2 and decided to get something newer a Jazz Mk3 is the logical and obvious choice. It's exactly what Honda would hope for. There is nothing remotely 'odd' about someone comparing and contrasting the two of them. It is in fact a very sensible thing to do as the Jazz now on sale replaces the previous model. The fact it might have been redesigned from scratch is irrelevant. It is still the car that Honda are offering to that segment of the automotive market. It is therefore intended to perform the same duties.

There have been several iterations of the 'Jazz' (called the Fit outside of Europe). The Mk3 is simply the latest iteration.

You are of course right to say that anyone with specific requirements should check them before purchase but to dismiss comments like 'There was more clearance on the Mk2' as irrelevant is incorrect. It is a totally valid and reasonable observation to make.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 01:16:49 PM by andruec »

edam

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2016, 02:48:01 PM »
The Mk1 and the MK2 were quite similar but then they brought out the MK3 which was completely different.
What car am I talking about ????
Ford Cortina
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 04:36:25 PM by edam »

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2016, 02:59:16 PM »
Sorry I can't understand someone comparing two different cars, knowing that a complete redesign is involved and assuming they will be the same or even similar.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 03:06:23 PM by Deeps »

edam

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2016, 03:12:13 PM »
So why call it a Jazz?

guest5589

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2016, 03:52:29 PM »
Have you ever seen a 1st Gen Civic parked next to a Civic X? Cars are growing all the time.. . incase you haven't noticed.
The new Civic X is only 22cm shorter than a 7th Gen Accord Tourer! Each new model is designed with many different factors such as customer demand, market trends and rules & regulations in mind.

Its a strange thing when you expect Honda to make the same car 5 years on. GE (2008-2015) was a brand new car and had absolutely no relation to GD (2002-2008) and same goes for GE. Just cause the name is the same

Ps. the 1st Gen is actually the 2nd Gen so the 3rd Gen is actually 4th.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2016, 04:21:39 PM »
So why call it a Jazz?

Probably the same reason the Mk1 and Mk2 Focus are both called a Focus, but are totally different cars due to a redesign.

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2016, 06:34:58 PM »
Sorry I can't understand someone comparing two different cars, knowing that a complete redesign is involved and assuming they will be the same or even similar.

"Compete redesign" is marketing speak. Of course there are a huge number of changes, but also a lot of similarities. The essential character of the car is intentionally similar to its predecessors, and the Mark 3 is closer to the Mark 1 and 2 than any other car.

guest5589

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2016, 06:47:58 PM »

"Compete redesign" is marketing speak. Of course there are a huge number of changes, but also a lot of similarities. The essential character of the car is intentionally similar to its predecessors, and the Mark 3 is closer to the Mark 1 and 2 than any other car.
Each generation is built in a new platform so they are complete redesigns even if the features are similar.

mikebore

• Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2016, 07:01:41 PM »

Each generation is built in a new platform so they are complete redesigns even if the features are similar.

I didn't mean to imply different, but the term "complete redesign" is bit overused.

IMO the Mk2 to Mk1 change was as big as the Mk3 to Mk2, and it is quite legitimate to compare all three.

guest4871

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2016, 07:26:30 PM »

The essential character of the car is intentionally similar to its predecessors, and the Mark 3 is closer to the Mark 1 and 2 than any other car.

+1

I had the choice of a Mk2 or waiting for a Mk3. I am glad I bought the Mk2 for better ground clearance, bigger windows, more boot which is what I was looking for. Plus I do not have the distractions of all the cheapo electronic auto gadgets which I don't need (thanks), nor the extra rear leg room (a waste of space), nor the touch screen (which for me would be a bore), nor the one year wait, nor the longer car nor a higher car (more difficult to clean). I am very glad I did not wait. I probably wouldn't have bought the Mk3 once I had seen it. The Mk 3 is the same concept as the Mk2 but, for me, less well executed. At least I now will have a car for another 10 years which fits my needs.

Newer is not always better.

Most newer models from all manufacturers now have lower ground clearance. No doubt a styling "trend". Even the HRV is only the standard 185mm compared with what used to be the standard 200mm for that type of vehicle.

The ground clearance on a MK3 Jazz is the same as a Porsche.

Different design cars for the same market sector will retain the model name because of the brand value/ investment held by the manufacturer in the name. The Civic is a good example. The current Civic model bears no resemblance to the previous Civic model which actually is very much more like the current Mk 3 Jazz.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2016, 10:33:25 PM »
"Compete redesign" is marketing speak. Of course there are a huge number of changes, but also a lot of similarities.

The only similarity is the "Magic seats", different body shell with different length, width, and wheelbase, different engine and gearbox or CVT. Different electronic features, idle stop, city active braking, the driver assist safety pack, different steering, suspension, ride and handling.

In fact to quote the Honda website, "From front to back it is an all new Jazz".

mikebore

• Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2016, 11:31:54 PM »
"Compete redesign" is marketing speak. Of course there are a huge number of changes, but also a lot of similarities.

The only similarity is the "Magic seats", different body shell with different length, width, and wheelbase, different engine and gearbox or CVT. Different electronic features, idle stop, city active braking, the driver assist safety pack, different steering, suspension, ride and handling.

In fact to quote the Honda website, "From front to back it is an all new Jazz".

I could make a much longer list of similarities than just the magic seats, starting with the whole concept, design objectives and layout of the car. It is a complete redesign, it is not a completely new design. It is still a Jazz.

If someone tried to compare the Jazz with a Porsche I would say that was unreasonable, but to compare with similar cars, especially previous Jazzes, is natural.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2016, 09:18:48 AM »
OK I give up, I am outnumbered by the Jazz fan club!  ;D

But I do like my Jazz, I have a sneaking suspicion that I should have bought one years ago.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 09:22:36 AM by Deeps »

mikebore

• Approved Member
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2016, 09:51:55 AM »
OK I give up, I am outnumbered by the Jazz fan club!  ;D

But I do like my Jazz, I have a sneaking suspicion that I should have bought one years ago.

I think you are already a fully fledged member of the Jazz fan club!

I wish I had discovered the Jazz earlier as well.

We bought our first Jazz Mk 1 four years ago to replace my wife's Micra. After a few months we realised that the Jazz's unique small outside/big inside character suited us really well, so I sold my Focus Estate and bought a used Mk2 for myself.

My Mk2 was great for three years until the CVT box failed and was going to cost £5,000 to replace. (First one ever in UK according to my Honda agent). Honda offered us a way out with a new Mk 3 which nearly eliminated the cost of the failure, but of course I am paying for a brand new car which I wouldn't have been doing if the Mk2 hadn't failed.

So I didn't exactly chose to buy a Mk3! Full sorry story here. You might want to jump to last post on page 2 for the summary if interested.

Tags:

anything