Author Topic: I like the MK 3 Jazz because .....  (Read 19293 times)

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
Re: I like the MK 3 Jazz because .....
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2016, 10:56:14 AM »
ongoing maintenance costs
That puzzles me. I've owned a CVT version of the Jazz since the Mk1 'sport' model back in '05 or thereabouts. I've had no additional maintenance costs that I'm aware of. The cars all had the usual 12-month service and that was that. I didn't even need to take the car to a Honda dealer. Any garage can do the servicing.

I love being able to swap cogs when I want to, not when the ECU thinks its a good idea
Meh :)

I'm sure there were some drivers who hated automatic chokes and enjoyed controlling fuel enrichment and idle tick-over rate themselves. There may even have been drivers who enjoyed matching engine revs with the air/fuel mixture and rued the day that carburetors appeared.

Personally I consider that my brain should not be wasted on tasks that a machine can perform especially if the machine can do the job better. I do still keep an eye on the rev counter but by and large I consider selecting gear ratios to be a menial task that is beneath me :D
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 10:57:52 AM by andruec »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2016, 11:41:38 AM »
An oil change every 75K on a manual box,  doesn't get any cheaper than that - no flushing and judder to worry about.

I struggle to think what else your mind is involved with when you are driving that you can't spare a few brain cells to change gear - messing with a smart phone, dabbling with dash screen display and all the other 'important' stuff.    I know some people take a test in an automatic because they can't synchronise their hands and feet and will never master a manual box.

For some a car is just transport, and no doubt they will be the first to buy an autonomous car, but some people still actually enjoy driving.

I have had auto's before (in countries where a manual box was a special order), I have nothing against auto's - just not for me yet (maybe when I move house into central London or when my legs can no longer press the clutch I may re-consider).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

edam

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 1.3 SE CVT
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2016, 12:57:04 PM »
I have had Autos in the past, but the extra initial cost, complication and ongoing maintenance costs mean I would not have an auto again unless I spent most of my time in city traffic or needed auto for mobility reasons,  I love being able to swap cogs when I want to, not when the ECU thinks its a good idea - the most useful dial on the car for me is the rev counter (same on my motorbike).

I am interested to know how/whether the switch between Otto and Atkinson cycles is apparent with a manual gearbox?

Do you notice any transition?

I noticed that on the manual it seemed to be comfortable at 2500 rpm at about 56mph.

On the CVT in S mode it seems to keep the revs at 2500 rpm.

Coincidence??

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2016, 01:52:05 PM »
An oil change every 75K on a manual box,  doesn't get any cheaper than that - no flushing and judder to worry about.
I've never noticed any judder in 11 years of driving a Honda CVT. Oil changes were part of the service. There's lots of things need doing to most cars at various intervals. It's part of car ownership and the CVT has probably cost me an extra £20 a year in servicing. It's well worth it to avoid demeaning myself with such a menial task. I struggle to understand what someone's life can be like if they actually gain significant pleasure from pressing a pedal and pulling a stick ;).
I struggle to think what else your mind is involved with when you are driving that you can't spare a few brain cells to change gear.
It's called driving. The more brain cells people can devote to it the better.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 01:57:15 PM by andruec »

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2016, 02:28:04 PM »
I have not noticed the transition between Atkinson and Otto modes, it seems to be gradual transition and I suspect it happens at different engine revs and loads depending on your right foot, engine load, and the engine ECU programme. I can feel the VTEC come in but it is also a gentle transition (usually when accelerating to match motorway speeds on a slip road). I find the engine smooth throughout the rev range and it is easy to drive for economy or power. I think Honda have done a good job of disguising the mode transitions.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 03:08:22 PM by Deeps »

guest5589

« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2016, 03:55:17 PM »
/rant

OH MY GOD!

The amount of complaints and negativity on ClubJazz with regards to 3rd Gen Jazz is unbelievable! Maybe Honda should lower the reliability a bit so owners get busy worrying about actual issues instead of complaining endlessly about trivial things.

/rantover!

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2016, 06:38:51 PM »
Totally agree legend-ary.
I have said it before that people seem to be fixating on silly little things instead of enjoying their cars, after all you can't please all the people all of the time.
No car is going to be perfect, so ENJOY YOUR CAR'S.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2016, 06:50:09 PM »
This forum would be a very dull place if we all sat around saying how perfect everything is.

It's the problems..... solving, discussing and comparing which makes it interesting.

Sometimes these spill over into negativity but mostly not around here.

guest5589

« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2016, 06:59:36 PM »
Of course we are not fanboys so discussions about issues are expected but when people start being dismissive the conversations end up being nothing but negative

guest4871

« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2016, 07:40:09 PM »
This forum would be a very dull place if we all sat around saying how perfect everything is.

It's the problems..... solving, discussing and comparing which makes it interesting.

I completely agree with these sentiments.

AND perhaps there is good reason for the amount of complaints and negativity on ClubJazz with regards to 3rd Gen Jazz.

The comments do come from current users and do deserve some consideration and respect.

mikebore

• Approved Member
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2016, 08:15:07 PM »

AND perhaps there is good reason for the amount of complaints and negativity on ClubJazz with regards to 3rd Gen Jazz.

The comments do come from current users and do deserve some consideration and respect.

The discussions of problems amongst owners of Mk3 cars shouldn't be construed by non Mk3 owners as overall dis-satisfaction.

I would be surprised if any Mk3 owners regret buying the car....I certainly don't.

guest5589

« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2016, 09:19:26 PM »

The discussions of problems amongst owners of Mk3 cars shouldn't be construed by non Mk3 owners as overall dis-satisfaction.

I would be surprised if any Mk3 owners regret buying the car....I certainly don't.

Discussions about problems are fine but coming up with imaginary and trivial issues is the point of contention here.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2016, 09:24:16 PM »
Yes, it's a matter of little things which so easily could have been better such a providing user control over the auto headlights.

Another feature I do like about the Mk 3 and that's the linear fuel gauge on which one segment roughly represents 2 litres (with a couple still in the tank when the gauge shows empty).
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

guest4871

« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2016, 10:50:57 PM »

Discussions about problems are fine but coming up with imaginary and trivial issues is the point of contention here.

To better understand your point, could you please give some examples of the "imaginary and trivial issues" which disturb you?

mikebore

• Approved Member
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2016, 11:22:22 AM »

The trouble is that one man's molehill is another man's mountain.

Tags:

anything