Author Topic: Indicator stalk symbol visibility on 2023/4 Jazz hybrid  (Read 10270 times)

IrisCx

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid Elegance
Indicator stalk symbol visibility on 2023/4 Jazz hybrid
« on: December 21, 2023, 08:01:21 AM »
Hi folks, Am new to the forum and just got a new Jazz hybrid Elegance this month. I was really surprised to find that the symbols on the indicator stalks (for all the different light and wiper settings) are not visible/illuminated in the dark, which makes them really difficult to use! They were illuminated in my old car (not a Honda and a very basic car) so I wondered if this is a fault on mine or if it's standard/anyone else has the same? Thank you.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Indicator stalk symbol visibility on 2023/4 Jazz hybrid
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2023, 08:23:07 AM »
Never noticed, I suppose they need to be learnt. At least it's fingertip control

I did have the same, years ago. We had a D reg basic Metro and all the controls were illuminated. When we got our G reg Maestro, nothing. No problem though as we knew what each stalk did
Let's be careful out there !

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2023, 08:26:20 AM »
...They don't light up. I've never had a car where they do AFAICR.
Just leaving the lights on Auto negates any need to 'see' the stalk.
The wipers are just on auto for me too.
I wouldn't want small illuminations in the area of the stalks really.

...And welcome  :)

IrisCx

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2023, 08:37:30 AM »
Thank you  :)- all the tech/screen-oriented and "auto" features really overwhelm me! I guess i'll have to get used to a different way of driving....

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2023, 10:56:28 AM »
It may be intentional. If they make them too easy to read  drivers will tend to take their eyes off the road to read them each time.   It may take longer but its better to learn to use controls  instinctively without needing to look.

I too use the auto functions most of the time. But because  I dont often do it manually  its taken me longer to learn do it instinctively. A bit of trial and error sometimes to reach the setting I wanted  :-[ 

BTW this section forum is more suited for the early Jazz hybrid  which is quite a lot different to the present  mk4.  Better to post in the Mk4  2020-present  section. 
« Last Edit: December 21, 2023, 11:09:28 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

plasma

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 mark 4
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2023, 08:53:52 AM »
Thank you  :)- all the tech/screen-oriented and "auto" features really overwhelm me! I guess i'll have to get used to a different way of driving....

Yes I find the same thing, it takes a bit of learning.

Plasma

Lincolnshire Rambler

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz mk4
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2023, 10:38:53 AM »
At night I turn down the brightness of the info and speed screen as I don’t like the brightness in front . My wifes Toyota can turn off the infotainment screen as a black display option -am sure I can get the jazz to do that ?

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2023, 11:06:30 AM »
turn off the infotainment screen as a black display option -am sure I can get the jazz to do that ?

You can by selecting the Display Mode and selecting Display OFF in the pop-up.

CB72

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2023, 01:21:14 PM »
My last car works exactly the same as the Jazz, so no need to look at the stalks, I use the auto lights function too.
Although the auto wipers seem to have a mind of their own, unrelated to the how wet the windscreen is.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2023, 02:09:35 PM »
In the early days of cars having multiple function stalk controls  I  once had a car that completely  transposed the functions left to right compared to my previous car.  :o  For a while I was wiping when I meant to indicate and vice versa.  ;D   Fortunately I was young enough to adapt quickly.

I can remember when some cars had a knob switch on the dashboard  which you switched  left or right.Then back again after the manoeuvre.  Some had a switch as part of the wheel centre boss. 
 A popular accessory was a stalk activated switch replacement  which was easier to reach .  It clamped to the bare steering column .
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2023, 02:37:24 PM »
Yep, my 1968 Mini just had an indicator stalk, on the right, with a green flashing light on the end

Wipers, light switch, keyhole, choke on the dash, below the central speedo

Dipped/main beam was a floor switch
Let's be careful out there !

IrisCx

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2024, 07:11:15 PM »
My last car works exactly the same as the Jazz, so no need to look at the stalks, I use the auto lights function too.
Although the auto wipers seem to have a mind of their own, unrelated to the how wet the windscreen is.

Sorry I just saw this post and I totally agree about the auto wipers (although I'm not sure if you're referring to the jazz or your last car)! Maybe I will start a new post about this but today for some reason while driving with "auto lights" on, suddenly the blue full beam symbol appeared on the dashboard - in the daytime! I must have been blinding the other cars!

coldstart

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Advance MY24
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2024, 07:22:33 PM »
... today for some reason while driving with "auto lights" on, suddenly the blue full beam symbol appeared on the dashboard - in the daytime!
That is indeed rather unusual!

Do you remember if the green lights on indicator was lit as well?
What where the weather conditions? Was it raining? (because by default this will switch on the lights)
Have you disabled the auto high beam assistant? (it is on by default)

IrisCx

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2024, 08:00:59 PM »
Many thanks @coldstart, yes I think the green light indicator was on as well.
I set off just after sunrise as the light levels were increasing and, yes, it was raining. I can't remember when I noticed the full beam symbol but I'm pretty sure it wasn't there when I set off (ie the darkest point of my journey!)
Also the car made an intermittent warning noise after powering off and upon opening the doors - still no idea why, but I had to turn the lights off altogether to make the noise stop.
Ah no I have not disabled auto high beam assistant - thanks. Manual is not very clear; it explains how to activate this function in great detail but says just pull the lever towards you to deactivate auto high beam - do I have to do this every time I start the car?

Nicksey

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 70 mpg
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX Style
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2024, 08:34:54 PM »
Never had a car with illuminated stalks, and mostly top of range models too. Fortunately, Honda's same set up as previous cars.

Tags:

anything