Author Topic: Spark plugs  (Read 745 times)

Maurice

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX i-shift
Spark plugs
« on: June 21, 2022, 06:18:38 PM »
My 2009 Jazz has reached 75,000 miles (and it's been brilliantly reliable so far with nothing but routine servicing costs incurred) but it now needs replacement sparkplugs.

I've just bought 4 x NGK DIFR6D13 plugs from Cox Motorparts. The NGK part number is not quite the same as the one quoted in my handbook but I'm assured by Cox that it's the current equivalent.

Does anyone have experience of these plugs?

Also, Cox were unable to tell me the recommended gap. Does anyone know what it is?

SuperCNJ

• Approved Member
Re: Spark plugs
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2022, 07:20:19 PM »
NGK plugs are usually supplied pre-gapped. However they do recommend that you check it as they could be dropped/knocked during transportation.

The last two digits of the code (DIFR6D13) "13" is the code for the gap that it was supplied with. So 13 corresponds to 1.3mm.

Sometimes some car manufacturers will change this gap slightly from the standard gap, so you may need to check this with Honda. I personally have just stuck with the standard gap which hasn't caused me any issues so far.

Hope that helps.

Maurice

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX i-shift
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2022, 09:02:30 AM »
Many thanks for that, Super.

How many degrees did you turn your plugs after finger tightening?

MiniNinjaRob

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2008 Jazz EX 1.4
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2022, 04:12:10 PM »
The pic shows the actual plugs you need for your Jazz. It’s from the Honda service manual.
They aren’t cheap as they are iridium spark plugs. You should not try and adjust the gap on iridium plugs only standard plugs because of the material the electrodes are made from.
I do up hand tight then snug up with a breaker bar. Not “tight” as such but I never use a torque wrench just go by feel.

SuperCNJ

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2022, 04:58:35 PM »
Many thanks for that, Super.

How many degrees did you turn your plugs after finger tightening?

It depends on the type of plug - I think most Jazz's use a gasket/washer type plug and the advice is usually to use a torque wrench but if you don't have one, I would fingertight then 1/2 turn.

If yours is actually a tapered plug, then it needs to be a lot less. Something like 1/8 of a turn.

If you want torque settings, best to contact NGK as each plug/car can be different.

Tags:

anything