Author Topic: Spare wheel questions  (Read 1742 times)

BlueMonday

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2019 1.3 i-VTEC CVT
Spare wheel questions
« on: June 23, 2022, 03:30:27 PM »
Hello all,

My 2019 Jazz came without a spare wheel.
I decided to buy one, I have just checked that it fits, it does.
Could you please answer the following 3 questions.

1) What torque setting should the wheel nuts be? It does not seem to be in the owners manual, specifications.
2) What pressure should the spare wheel tyre be? I know it should be on a sticker on the door jam but it is missing.
3) On page 544 of the owners manual it shows the spare wheel in the boot and the black formed tool case on top. I am guessing that models that come with a spare wheel have a different more slimline tool case than those that come without a spare wheel as I am unable to close the luggage floor lid with the wheel in position.
2019 Honda Jazz 1.3 i-VTEC CVT

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
Re: Spare wheel questions
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2022, 04:42:04 PM »
I’ve no knowledge of torque settings, but the recommended tyre pressures are 33psi front and 32 rear, rising to 38 rear if towing a caravan or trailer.  If your spare wheel is full size, you will have to improvise a system for supporting the boot floor, and fit the tools around the wheel. There are a number of ideas elsewhere in this forum. There is a special polystyrene tool storage unit for use only with a spacesaver wheel.

pebbles

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 sport
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2022, 07:27:52 PM »
torque setting is in the owners manual in the changing a wheel section - 108 N-m , 80 lb-ft

if it's a space saver the pressure should be 60 psi

there is a different polystyrene tray to accommodate the space saver but it's pricey from the dealer , about £130 !

BlueMonday

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2019 1.3 i-VTEC CVT
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2022, 07:50:01 PM »
Thank-you both very much for the help.

It is a spacesaving spare.

I had difficulty undoing the wheel nuts, I could not do it with the wheel brace alone and had to use a long hollow bar for leverage. The bar would be far too long to keep in the car so I am hoping if I tighten them to the correct settings I will be able to loosen them with the brace alone.

I will have a search for other posts regarding secure storage for the wheel and tools. I did wonder if I could cut down the depth of the tool case I have so that it can sit on top of the spare wheel and still be able to close the luggage floor lid.
2019 Honda Jazz 1.3 i-VTEC CVT

Beaver

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2022, 08:53:33 PM »
I had a space saver wheel in my 2012 model.   With the wheel secured by the bolt, a shaped polystyrene tray fitted inside the wheel centre.   The normal floor fitted should be replaced by a different floor altogether, designed to be used with the polystyrene insert, then the floor lies flat.

SuperCNJ

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2022, 01:27:58 PM »

there is a different polystyrene tray to accommodate the space saver but it's pricey from the dealer , about £130 !

Is that the black polystyrene block that supports the boot floor? I have one that I took out of the car to put a full size in as it was in the way. Can't remember what it was for but I think it had pockets for tools.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2022, 10:37:01 AM »
My yaris,with   space saver, had a polystyrene cone to support the boot floor.      Full sized spare was slightly too tall. I had to raise the whole floor by about 25 mm  (1" in Rees-Mogg speak)   

If a full sized spare fits for height, but you cant find a Honda insert tray  try looking for something from a more common car.
 .   I saw one on fleabay a while ago  from a Renault clio . Tray, special compact Jack and tools  for less than £20 inc postage.  From a scrapped car but appeared unused.    Less than the cost of  a new budget quality universal jack that would have been too long. 
Lots of other cars have  jacks and trays that will fit within a full sized spare. I just searched at random for a few common small cars and soon found something that would suit the jazz,as long as you are not too precious about originality.   i didnt buy one in the end as I found I already had a suitable jack amongs the junk in my garage. 
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Glosrich

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Jazz S iVtec
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2022, 11:24:25 AM »
Thank-you both very much for the help.

It is a spacesaving spare.

I had difficulty undoing the wheel nuts, I could not do it with the wheel brace alone and had to use a long hollow bar for leverage. The bar would be far too long to keep in the car so I am hoping if I tighten them to the correct settings I will be able to loosen them with the brace alone.

I will have a search for other posts regarding secure storage for the wheel and tools. I did wonder if I could cut down the depth of the tool case I have so that it can sit on top of the spare wheel and still be able to close the luggage floor lid.

Speak to a Honda parts dept, like Cox motor parts
https://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/honda-shop/genuine-honda-jazz-spark-plug-set-2016-onwards/

There is a special moulding that fits on top of the space saver for the tools.

Re the wheel nuts, get one of those extending bar wrenches, they are compact enough for the boot, but give enough leverage.
You could always call your breakdown service if you get stuck.

pebbles

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 sport
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2022, 06:45:58 PM »

Is that the black polystyrene block that supports the boot floor? I have one that I took out of the car to put a full size in as it was in the way. Can't remember what it was for but I think it had pockets for tools.

sounds like it , here's  a couple of photos of the tray for a space saver.  Got mine cheap because of slight damage , repaired with a little fibreglass.

Tags:

anything