Author Topic: Satnav bracket / holder for new Jazz  (Read 2054 times)

Winfield

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2022 Jazz SE
Satnav bracket / holder for new Jazz
« on: April 17, 2022, 10:39:39 PM »
Hello everyone - new member (and long time Honda fan) to the forum here 8)

The wife and I are due to get our new Jazz SE next month, and as it's the base model, we're aware of it not having the fancy infotainment / in-built satnav features, so we've been looking at getting one of our own (still undecided between TomTom and Garmin though).

Regardless of which satnav we go for, does anyone have theirs attached to (for example) the air vents of the new Jazz model? Or is there an even better location of where to fit one? If so, which mount did you choose?

I used to have one of those "beanbag" style mounts which sat on the dashboard of my old Civic, but want to avoid those as I don't want the thing flying around the cabin in the event of having a bump, etc.

Any suggestions would be very welcome - cheers in advance! :D

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Satnav bracket / holder for new Jazz
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2022, 02:36:41 AM »
I've put a SatNav 'disc' onto the dash just behind the air vent.

The wire then runs along the join between dash and the trim by the front quarterlight.

The power comes from the option connector so no fuse piggybacking used. The wire comes from near the bonnet release, up the gap behind the door rubber strip and resurfaces at dash level.

The position is here :

Wiring here :

Mounted :

No wire visible lower down :

I can't get a photo of the option connector with the panel in place but this was one I took during wiring up both my dashcam and Garmin :

« Last Edit: April 18, 2022, 06:05:57 AM by Kremmen »
Let's be careful out there !

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2022, 07:12:40 AM »
I’m using the TomTom app on my phone - it’s only £13 a year and you get weekly map updates and traffic.

I use CarPlay but the phone is mounted on the air vent in case I need the screen as a backup, and for better signal.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Avolare-Universal-360%C2%B0Rotation-Adjustable-Driving/dp/B01JS327PU

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2022, 07:28:58 AM »
The only reason I use the standalone Garmin is the whole route traffic display.

Google Maps are OK but it's not easy to view whole route issues and plan early.

Plus, I suppose, the Garmin is in my line of site whilst the road is still in my peripheral view.

Update:

Just out of interest I've just tested TomTom Go via Android Auto and I found it very laggy. Even typing in an address was hit and miss with some letters needing 2 or 3 presses to get it to register.

I wonder if TT is causing your mapping lag issues ?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2022, 07:58:03 AM by Kremmen »

sportse

• Approved Member
Satnav bracket / holder for new Jazz
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2022, 08:08:32 AM »
TomTom is fine on the phone itself. I’m using an iPhone and also have maps downloaded.

The map lag is on several different apps - it could be CarPlay uses too much data and the chip in the jazz can’t cope.

There is less lag when using wired CarPlay.

I know polo has a low spec chip that can’t cope with showing the sat nav on the drivers display as well as the infotainment screen, but the chip in the golf can. Maybe Honda did the same thing and used a low spec chip in the jazz.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2022, 08:37:58 AM by sportse »

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2022, 08:54:35 AM »
Plus, I suppose, the Garmin is in my line of site whilst the road is still in my peripheral view.

I really hope it's the other way around, ie the Garmin is in your peripheral vision whilst you're looking at the road!

Personally, looking at your pictures, I'd be a bit uncomfortable with something that size in that position, it looks like it blocks some visibility. Something more like Sportse's solution keeps the screen visible when you need it without obstructing the view out the front. The Mk3 has a cup-holder on the driver's side just below the vent outlet which I use as a location for a phone mount with a long stalk to get the phone at dash level, not sure if the Mk4 has that.

Buteday

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2022, 09:00:00 AM »
I have a Crosstar so only use my Tom Tom for longer journeys and also because its came with lifetime speed camera locations on.
So just bought one of these from ebay. It drops into cup holder and expands to fit, then just fit Sat Nav suction cup to it.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2022, 09:32:34 AM »

I really hope it's the other way around, ie the Garmin is in your peripheral vision whilst you're looking at the road!

Personally, looking at your pictures, I'd be a bit uncomfortable with something that size in that position, it looks like it blocks some visibility. Something more like Sportse's solution keeps the screen visible when you need it without obstructing the view out the front. The Mk3 has a cup-holder on the driver's side just below the vent outlet which I use as a location for a phone mount with a long stalk to get the phone at dash level, not sure if the Mk4 has that.

That Garmin position is an optical illusion in that photo. It's nowhere near blocking any vision.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2022, 09:48:33 AM »
This gives a better angle of my 7" DS61 :

« Last Edit: April 18, 2022, 09:52:24 AM by Kremmen »

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2022, 10:23:05 AM »
This gives a better angle of my 7" DS61 :

I guess it's a personal thing, but for me I wouldn't want anything that obscures even a small part of the view out front.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2022, 11:31:54 AM »
Here is a variation  of Kremmen's method  just using the suction mount supplied with my Garmin 58lm .   
This particular satnav  can be mounted so it doesnt obstruct the view through the windscreen at all.   

I find screen suckers a bit of  a pita  as they can drop off, but its a good temporary fix to see if the location suits you before finding something more secure.
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2022, 06:57:58 PM »
Here is a variation  of Kremmen's method  just using the suction mount supplied with my Garmin 58lm .   
This particular satnav  can be mounted so it doesnt obstruct the view through the windscreen at all.   

I find screen suckers a bit of  a pita  as they can drop off, but its a good temporary fix to see if the location suits you before finding something more secure.

This is exactly how I mounted our MIO in the Yaris. Used for over 4 years, never dropped...
No obstruction of view, yet perfectly visible.
Before connecting the suction cup, breathe out on the cup to make it slightly moist and it will not fall.
If nothing goes right, go left!

crosstarhonda

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: honda jazz crosstar
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2022, 05:21:19 PM »
I’m using the TomTom app on my phone - it’s only £13 a year and you get weekly map updates and traffic.

I use CarPlay but the phone is mounted on the air vent in case I need the screen as a backup, and for better signal.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Avolare-Universal-360%C2%B0Rotation-Adjustable-Driving/dp/B01JS327PU

got one of these yesterday works a treat, thanks for the heads up....

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2022, 04:29:37 PM »
One advantage I've found with the dash vent mount in the hot weather we've had is that the phone is kept nice and cold as it is being blown on by the air con.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2022, 04:52:15 PM »
I'm now on Mk3 of my 'down by the passenger seat' DIY holder.

Slightly higher and now angles so I can see it almost square on.

I've had a passenger and they don't knock it like the dash mount. If I needed to see it while driving it would need to be a lot higher but it's just there for charging and bluetooth connections.

Tags: