Author Topic: Back ache.  (Read 2765 times)

MRCLICKCLICK

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: CROSSTAR.
Back ache.
« on: February 13, 2022, 06:51:00 PM »
This is NOT an attack on car manufactures but I ask a genuine question. Do any of you suffer from weak, constant back pain that you can out down to the car seat design? I have a back problem - for over 6 months - very low level across the right side of body - but almost constant. I have been to doctors etc - no obvious cause - so that's why I ask the question - could it be the settings / design of my seats in the Crosstar? I don drive Avery day - and never more that about an hour.

BROC

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: MY24 ZR-V Advance
Re: Back ache.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2022, 07:04:05 PM »
I cannot comment about the Jazz seats, but when I was given a Vauxhall Astra hire car for a few days while my Volvo 850 T5 estate was in for bodyshop repairs I ended up with serious lower back pain & could barely walk after driving the Astra for 3 hours.  I had no problems with the Volvo.

So, I would say it is entirely possible for car seats to be a source of back pain.   

gtjeta

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2021 EX
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2022, 07:19:54 PM »
The first two days I used my new Jazz I felt some back ache, even with short trips. Later I changed the seat and steering wheel positions, and no additional back ache, even though I went for much longer rides. Yesterday my wife changed slightly the seat inclination. Tomorrow I will see if her position is all right for me (we are quite similar in height, and share the seat, mirrors and steering wheel positions in our other car).

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2022, 07:36:57 PM »
I have this guide to setting car seats bookmarked:

https://www.recaro-automotive.com/en/services/recaro-seat-fit-guide#

After discovering it, I found it’s great for finding a comfortable seating position in different cars.

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2022, 08:33:29 PM »
I drove company cars all my working life. All manual and up to 30K miles a year. I found the 4 Cavalier cars & Astra SRi I had were all brilliant. The Citroen BX was so bad that the company medical officer insisted that my line manager bought me a decent seat. I chose a Recaro Orthopaedic seat costing £1000 in 1989!
Result back pain banished.
As far as more modern cars are concerned (and my advancing years) I now have spondilolythesis, scoliosis and kyphosis. I have had them for years and suffer L4/5 back pain and cannot stand for any length of time without excruciating pain.

I have had 8 Skodas and 6 Hondas and I have found all the seats amazing, including my new HR-V hybrid. HOWEVER...... on a 10 mile test drive in the Crosstar I had back ache and a sore neck. I can comment no further!
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2022, 08:40:10 PM »
I would agree that car seats can cause back issues. That said it's incredibly personal. Karoq mentions Vauxhalls. I have owned a Mk2 Cavalier, a Vauxhall Carlton and driven, as a pool car an Astra (circa 2000 vintage) and I remember them as being the most comfortable cars I've ever driven in terms of seating comfort. Moving on I find the Jazz vastly more comfortable than the larger Civic.

My younger brother, however, can't tolerate Vauxhalls at all! I hope you find a solution. The link posted by Sportse looks promising.

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2022, 08:43:39 PM »
... It would be very strange if the ex seats were that different to the crosstar's and again the hrv.
Aren't they all the new anti fatigue seats recommended by some body or other?

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2022, 09:18:02 PM »
It took me ages to find a comfortable position in my EX. I do find it gets hard on my bum after a couple of hours, but I ought really to be taking a break at that point anyway...

Hicardo

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64mpg summer avg, 56mpg winter avg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Surf Blue 2021
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2022, 09:53:16 PM »
Seats and seating positions are a very personal thing, thats why long test drives are really important. Ive driven scores of different vehicles for long distances. For me, I can report my Crosstar drivers seat is one of the most comfortable seats ive used. I did take me a while to get it set the way I like tho, in combination with the steering height and reach.  :)

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2022, 10:32:27 PM »
Worst car ever for me was a Mk1 Landrover Freelander. Two hours in that would cripple me.

My suggestion. Do what I do and drive everywhere, always, with the heated seat on. Even in Summer.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2022, 11:28:31 PM »
I totally agree with Hicardo!
In short: Whether a (car) seat is good is very personal. What is perfect for me may be disastrous for you.
That is why I always insist on a test drive of at least 3 to 4 hours. Only then will you know....
Dealers who disagree with this have missed the opportunity to sell me a car.
If nothing goes right, go left!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2022, 04:59:20 AM »
I've always found automatic cars to be far more comfy and easier to find a good position as you don't have to floor a clutch.

My main issue in some older cars, especially Citroen, was a short and flat seat squab that caused back of thigh pain after a few hours.

Let's be careful out there !

Bristol_Crosstar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance Sport
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2022, 08:18:28 AM »
This is NOT an attack on car manufactures but I ask a genuine question. Do any of you suffer from weak, constant back pain that you can out down to the car seat design? I have a back problem - for over 6 months - very low level across the right side of body - but almost constant. I have been to doctors etc - no obvious cause - so that's why I ask the question - could it be the settings / design of my seats in the Crosstar? I don drive Avery day - and never more that about an hour.
I had back problems when I first bought my Mk2, I resolved this by raising the seat to the maximum height. I did the same with the Crosstar when I first got it and I've not had a problem with it.

R2D3

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar in Sunlight White
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2022, 08:54:50 AM »
I drove company cars all my working life. All manual and up to 30K miles a year. I found the 4 Cavalier cars & Astra SRi I had were all brilliant. The Citroen BX was so bad that the company medical officer insisted that my line manager bought me a decent seat. I chose a Recaro Orthopaedic seat costing £1000 in 1989!
Result back pain banished.
As far as more modern cars are concerned (and my advancing years) I now have spondilolythesis, scoliosis and kyphosis. I have had them for years and suffer L4/5 back pain and cannot stand for any length of time without excruciating pain.

I have had 8 Skodas and 6 Hondas and I have found all the seats amazing, including my new HR-V hybrid. HOWEVER...... on a 10 mile test drive in the Crosstar I had back ache and a sore neck. I can comment no further!

Interesting.  I have had two BX's in my time.  Best seats ever for comfort.  Have not found another car that came close and that includes two other Citroens, Skoda, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Renault (though the Renault 5 TS came close) and most recently prior to my Crosstar, BMW X1.  I still remember the seats in the BX's with great fondness.

MRCLICKCLICK

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: CROSSTAR.
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2022, 08:59:26 AM »
Thanks all - I await further results - but have borne in mind all comments.

Tags:

anything