Author Topic: Dash reflection advice needed please  (Read 5227 times)

Babbington

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
Dash reflection advice needed please
« on: June 14, 2021, 03:36:14 PM »
I went off for a drive to the south downs today. In the morning, with the sun in front ish of me, the refection from the top of the dash on the windscreen was at dangerous levels. If the road had not changed direction I think I would have had to stop and wait. Note that I'm not exaggerating: it was dangerous. I've only had the car less than a week, and I think the valet must have used some shiny dash cleaner on the top.

The internet says to consider a dash mat, but I'm unsure if what I've found will be good for my Jazz.

I have a 2018 1.3 ivtec SE. It's the face lift one.

So this is what I found on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B089FMPHBQ/?coliid=I2G232UV7X306O&colid=2B2WWY47P0OLU&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

It does say 2018, but did any of the face lift changes mean that this won't fit on my dash? Also, I'm not aware that anything changed in 2019, and this makes me think that by '2018' they only mean part of that year and not my car.

If anyone knows about my dash or has any other solution for dangerous glare, I would be grateful.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 09:52:36 AM by Babbington »

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: Dash reflection advice
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2021, 03:43:48 PM »
The best fix is polarising sunglasses.

I found Mk 3 to be better than the Mk 2 for dashboard glare but I suspect that your diagnosis that the seller used some shiny cleaner to be correct. You could try rubbing the area with a moist nylon scouring pad.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2021, 03:59:39 PM »
Totally agree with John, polarising sunglasses.  I was absolutely amazed at the difference.

Babbington

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2021, 04:15:29 PM »
Thank you both.

Hmmm... maybe this is a good excuse to buy myself some nice polarised lens aviators.

I have just been outside with the hand and surface sanitiser wipes that I have for Covid reasons. I read that the alcohol can get rid of the silicon. I also like John's 'nuclear option' of a gentle sanding. I read that acetone will cut through these silicon polishes, but I think that may be a little risky on the nice plastic.

I will keep rubbing with the wipes and looking for mat cleaning products.

I'm still interested though, if any other reader knows if that mat will fit my dash.

guest4871

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2021, 04:30:59 PM »
+1 for Polaroid glasses. You shouldn't then also need a mat.

For the screen - use Bar Keepers Friend ... (don't use it over concrete as it may make a hole in the cement!)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 05:51:59 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Happyarry

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX Navi i-vtec CVT
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2021, 07:47:17 PM »
I would agree polarising glasses but try to remove the silicone spray that appears to be on your Dash ad use something like ODK Cabin which is superb!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/383924061160?hash=item5963a843e8:g:jQIAAOSw1mdgmOPg

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2021, 07:55:07 PM »
I would agree polarising glasses but try to remove the silicone spray that appears to be on your Dash ad use something like ODK Cabin which is superb!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/383924061160?hash=item5963a843e8:g:jQIAAOSw1mdgmOPg

In my experience only thing that will make any impact on Jazz regarding reflection in windscreen is a dashboard mat to completely take the shine off plastic,  anything else is not effective ( except polarising glasses, but they have their own disadvantages like making the display on some LCD screens unreadable ) - There is little or no windscreen reflection in my Civic - looks like someone did a 'proper job' on designing  it,  my wifes MK2 Jazz is pretty bad in spite of the Armor All matt finish treatment.

dash mats were very popular in Australia when we were there, 
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 09:17:48 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2021, 10:33:21 PM »
I found Sugar Soap good for taking the shine off the dash top.

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2021, 07:52:14 AM »
I had tried some matte dash polish but it didn't make much difference. Flip up sunglasses that fit on my spectacles (about a fiver on eBay) are great for going from bright sunlight into a tunnel of trees.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2021, 09:31:41 AM »
Same experience here, dash reflection is bad. As a short term measure I used a piece of the non-slip woven type mesh mat stuff which works to some extent but does give a weave pattern in you field of view, better than glare but not ideal. I'll look into a proper dash-mat, thanks all for the suggestions. £18 odd isn't a big outlay even if it doesn't work out right.

Babbington

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2021, 09:46:24 AM »
I found Sugar Soap good for taking the shine off the dash top.

A few days ago I noticed that Wickes sell a tub of sugar soap wipes. I'll buy some today and test in a safe corner of the dash first.

It sounds like a winning idea to at least get rid of the polish.

Thanks.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Dash reflection advice needed please
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2021, 10:49:16 AM »
I made the mistake of cleaning the dash once giving a glossy finish.

Got some Armor All Matt Wipes and they helped get it back.
Let's be careful out there !

edam

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 1.3 SE CVT
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2021, 11:39:25 AM »
I stick A4 size black felt sheets , from Hobbycrafts, onto a non slip mesh mat. It not fixed to the dash so cant be used if using the windscreen demister vents .
I wonder if the MK4 has the same problem with the reflection. Will post on the other forum

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2021, 08:53:12 PM »
Following the post from edam above, I purchased a metre of 1.5m wide black craft felt from fleabay (item 310938609603 ) and a roll of non-slip mat from Wilko (1.5m x 50cm for £5). A bit tricky to get the shape absolutely right but using masking tape and patience and it's a good fit. Cut the felt, masked the edges, sprayed the back of the felt with foam contact adhesive (3M type 74, others available) and laid the non-slip mat on. Note I didn't spray the non-slip mat because with the holes it would go through to the side which would sit on the dash panel.

Excellent result, the difference is the proverbial night and day. Almost no reflection at all from the felt, well worth the effort.

You could get away with doing a much smaller area than I did, but covering most of the top means it doesn't immediately look like an afterthought. Just needs a slight trim here and there, I'll reduce it a bit just to the left of the centre vents so it sits flatter, and some holes for the screen vents.

Tags: