Author Topic: B mode driving  (Read 8143 times)

ndavey1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SR 2020
B mode driving
« on: November 10, 2020, 06:50:43 PM »
Hi

I am a new owner of Jazz SR and absolutely love it. It’s my first hybrid and it’s such a great drive, not to mention the fuel economy!  I just wondered about the b mode.  Is it ok to drive in b mode on speed bump roads for example as I find the automatic braking useful, or should it only be used on downhill slopes? 

Also, can I switch between d and b mode while driving or do I have to be fully stopped with my foot on the brake?

Many thanks.

Nathan.

BigRon

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Crosstar
Re: B mode driving
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 07:51:57 PM »
You can drive in B mode up to around 45 without any problem. Once you go above it will give you a warning on the speedo, also if you try to turn on the cruise control it will also give you a warning.

Mellorshark

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 07:57:13 PM »
Yes, you can move between D and B whilst driving.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 08:58:59 PM »
I've not explored the limits of B mode but my perception is that it makes more agressive use of the braking through regeneration when pressure on the accelerator is reduced than D. I find in D that accelerator position is almost an indicator of required speed which makes it easier to maintain the required speed on an undulating road. B is almost one pedal driving wherein lifting the accelerator applies the brakes.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

cjp2k20

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 09:34:35 AM »
I've found B mode great for around town, it's a nice level of speed reduction when approaching roundabouts for example. Sometimes I've driven almost entirely with one pedal in a town only trip.

I switch back to D when leaving town. The only other time I use it is on downhill slopes as you mentioned.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2020, 09:48:13 AM »
Returning to my theme on a similar post on this forum
Does driving in 'B' mode have the same effect, as changing down to a low gear, when descending steep hill?
I would normally use the paddles to drop down 2 sometimes 3 'gears' on my Mk3 CVT Jazz, in such situations.

ndavey1

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SR 2020
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2020, 09:49:06 AM »
Yep, exactly what I’ve been doing, b mode when driving on roads with speed humps, and when lots of mini roundabouts. Too much speeding up and slowing down required otherwise! 

Many thanks for all the replies.

Foksadure

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2020
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2020, 12:46:00 PM »
I've found B mode great for around town, it's a nice level of speed reduction when approaching roundabouts for example.

I second that: it's my favourite driving mode in everyday town driving, basically going from on roundabout to another, and being overridden by e-bicyclists at traffic lights in between.

Cruise control can't be used in B mode though. Which figures.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 12:48:50 PM by Foksadure »

MRCLICKCLICK

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: CROSSTAR.
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2020, 08:04:19 PM »
Tried it out today - OK - felt comfortable. Used it most of time around local area - 45 mph roads and down - soon got the knack of judging when to take foot off throttle when approaching traffic lights - got it so well that most changed just as I approached them so was able to zoom off thru them. :) Did see no problems and it seemed as if the battery was charged better nearer to full capacity - it didn't seem to go out of EV mode so often - time will tell - but I am a convert at the moment.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2020, 08:19:21 PM »
You will also see a huge improvement in your Fuel Efficiency. Every time you brake you generate heat (as well as dust) which can only come from one source - the petrol you have just consumed.

Cobb2

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2020, 09:05:44 PM »
Yes, as some of you have said it is just like changing down - say from 4th to 3rd or even 2nd on a manual car, but has the bonus of returning energy to the car and saving the brake pads

wemweb

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: HONDA Jazz 1.5 h i-MMD Crosstar EX eCVT Euro 6 (s/s) 5dr HYBRID
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2023, 12:18:26 PM »
New comer to Honda Jazz Crosstar, thanks for this info re using 'B' mode

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2023, 12:55:51 PM »
We only use 'B' mode. The only exception: when we want to use the ACC.
If nothing goes right, go left!

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2023, 01:03:58 PM »
...You can use B all the time. There is no warning shown at any speed. You will feel greater brake retardation in B compared to D
You can just move the lever between B & D at anytime, no need to press any pedals or other buttons.
The only thing you can't do in B is use Active Cruise Control, you'll have to be in D for that.
You may find that there is a strange noise and a bit of a complaint from the car if you have a full battery and it is trying to charge it, just switch to D to stop that until the battery depletes slightly (probably within yards if you aren't going downhill ;D )

The comment about 45mph isn't referring to B mode but the Lane Keep Assist which on the up to 2023 models will engage at 45mph (when switched on) but will still operate down to 40mph.

jamjar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2023, 01:09:19 PM »
New comer to Honda Jazz Crosstar, thanks for this info re using 'B' mode
You will love the Crosstar. I have been driving it for two years now & the car is as smooth as the day I bought it.

Tags: