Author Topic: MPG for those interested  (Read 142587 times)

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
Re: MPG for those interested
« Reply #405 on: June 25, 2022, 06:40:02 AM »
Seems to a lot of angst about mpg, indicated on dash and engine/motor power distribution.

In the end overall the real mpg comes down miles covered and fuel put in. I always fill to full and make notes on anything like type of journey covered - high speed m/way seems to be biggest effect.

The "magic" of how the power unit manages this just has to be accepted surely and enjoy the driving experience

John Ratsey

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #406 on: June 25, 2022, 07:16:19 AM »
I still can't work out the logic.

On a quiet flat fixed speed 50mph motorway under LIM, so speed is constant, I can see the engine kick in and out regardless whether the battery bars are 3 or 7.

I would have expected 3 bars = engine, then once up to 7 bars the engine cuts out until back down to 3 bars......and so on
At 50mph in direct drive on flat ground the optimum engine efficiency for the rpm dictated by being in direct drive means that there's a little spare power which trickles into the battery. Once the battery is up to 7 bars the engine has a short snooze.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #407 on: June 25, 2022, 10:22:57 AM »
I've said it before, but I'll say it again, it doesn't really matter how the optimum fuel consumption is arrived at. nor does it matter if certain journeys are down to the 40-50mpg range. or even up to the 80-90mpg range.
I just leave it to the Honda boffins to determine the most efficient mode, although like most members I assume that the most miles in EV mode will equal the best consumption.
To that end, I mostly drive in 'B' mode to promote maximum regeneration where possible and for me 'Econ' mode takes the edge off the performance. so I leave it Off.

No, what matters is the overall mileage covered, against fuel used, which for me as the attached photo shows is today 10727 miles at 67.6mpg ( the 'B' trip only reads to 3 decimal places, hence it only shows 727.8 miles), however I can assure everyone that it was set when the car was new and has not been reset at any time.

I guess I should say, that most of my motoring is journeys in the 10-15 mile range, urban and semi urban, with little motorway use
And so, having had 5 Jazz cars, all automatic (1 I-shift & 3 CVT) this MK 4 EX is the best car yet, particularly with fuel costs as they are at the moment.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #408 on: June 27, 2022, 11:45:39 AM »
I've finally crashed through the 60 mpg barrier. Just filled up and 66.6 showing on the computer which turned out to be an actual 61.6. Mostly town driving with some country roads and motorway.

Computer 5 mpg optimistic.

First fill up since 22nd April. Could have gone quite a bit further but filled up largely for convenience. I should get at least 2 more decent tanks before the winter plunges me back under 50 mpg. I think I'm on target for an overall 55 mpg in a full year.

SteveM

• Approved Member
« Reply #409 on: June 27, 2022, 01:34:20 PM »
So I'm a little in shock at the moment.... Figured with petrol prices as they are the time was right to see what I could get out of my EX Jazz and the results were, umm, surprising. 403 miles of mostly motorway driving over a couple of weeks with the odd trip around Milton Keynes thrown in. 23 litres of petrol. Which by my rough reckoning is near as damn it 80mpg! Nothing fancy, just driving everywhere in D with Econ mode on, a very very light foot, sensible speeds usually between 50 to 60, Apple CarPlay always on and no a/c (though I did succumb to thirty degree cabin temps a couple of times and put the fan on). Absolutely ridiculous economy and it was still creeping up when I refuelled at half a tank.

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #410 on: June 27, 2022, 02:21:56 PM »
  speeds usually between 50 to 60

That's the key - mpg varies massively with speed/wind resistance.

I get 50mpg at 70mph and 70mpg at 50mph, so a big difference.

Many EV drivers sit at 55-60mph for the same reason. For them, going faster won't get them anywhere quicker as they would have to spend more time charging than they would save from the higher speed.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #411 on: June 27, 2022, 03:21:53 PM »
That's me  :)

Where the M4 opens up from 50mph to NSL at J8/9 westbound I only up it to 60 because anything faster kills the average MPG figure. The 7 miles I do between J 8/9 and 10 sees a small drop-off but not as drastic.
Let's be careful out there !

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #412 on: June 27, 2022, 05:00:12 PM »
  speeds usually between 50 to 60

That's the key - mpg varies massively with speed/wind resistance.

I get 50mpg at 70mph and 70mpg at 50mph, so a big difference.

Many EV drivers sit at 55-60mph for the same reason. For them, going faster won't get them anywhere quicker as they would have to spend more time charging than they would save from the higher speed.

Yes - I think a lot of people, in all sorts of cars, are disappointed at mpg or range at 70 mph. People think about a long run being good for mpg - well yes but not at 70 mph.

Beaver

• Approved Member
« Reply #413 on: June 28, 2022, 09:20:15 AM »
Having collected my car on Thursday, with 20 miles recorded, on Friday I drove about 210 miles to my weekend destination.   Setting the A meter on zero, the trip there recorded 69.0mpg on arrival.   Running around over the weekend with a mixture of town and open road driving, the A meter didn't drop below 67mpg.

On leaving to return home, I left the A meter as it was from Friday morning and zeroed the B meter before setting off, the return trip of around 210 miles recorded 74.3mpg.   Overall for the weekend, the A meter gave me 527 miles at 69.9mpg.

Compared to my 2012 Jazz that has made many similar journeys, my fuel consumption has just about halved. My driving style for the weekend was relaxed and I was happy to cruise at 55-65 mph with the Econ button selected all the time.   I used the cruise control often on the M11 and A1.

Very happy with the performance of the new model.

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #414 on: June 28, 2022, 11:01:02 AM »
...On 62.5mpg at the moment. It has gone up since switching off Econ and with the warm weather, using climate control on a higher setting???
It's as though my results are back to front :D

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #415 on: June 28, 2022, 11:13:05 AM »
There were many reports on Civinfo about getting better mpg with Eco off.

Eco dulls the throttle so maybe a heavier foot to compensate decreases mpg ?

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #416 on: June 28, 2022, 12:38:09 PM »
I've also wondered about the ECO button thing (I have it on most of the time). There are times when you want a bit more acceleration and you might be tempted to put more throttle input whereas, without ECO, a small throttle input can result in quite a pleasing response.

I am a big fan of B mode though. Much more regen braking and, with my mainly urban driving pattern, I can take advantage of that.

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #417 on: June 28, 2022, 12:44:45 PM »
I am a big fan of B mode though. Much more regen braking and, with my mainly urban driving pattern, I can take advantage of that.
As part of my minimum braking style I use B when I can but ACC has to have the car in D.
Neil Ives

sportse

• Approved Member
MPG for those interested
« Reply #418 on: June 28, 2022, 12:51:14 PM »
Lightly pressing the brake pedal seems to do the same thing as B mode.

I tried it out this week on the approach to a roundabout from 70mph down to 0mph.

If you put the car in B mode and lift off to slow down it charges the battery, but you get the same thing if you lightly press the brake instead.

It’s quite quick charging from 70mph - you can easily go from a half charge to fully charged when approaching a roundabout.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #419 on: June 28, 2022, 12:59:06 PM »
Interesting

So what gives more recharge, B mode or brakes ?

I routinely use B mode but if light braking gives more recharge I'd happily switch to D

Tags: