Author Topic: MPG for those interested  (Read 145233 times)

sportse

• Approved Member
Re: MPG for those interested
« Reply #315 on: February 15, 2022, 11:37:55 AM »
On my long motorway journeys I often see people shoot past me and disappear into the distance, only to catch them up many miles later in congestion.

Certainly in the south it’s pointless having a high performance car.

If you are in Germany with their no speed limit roads it makes a difference, however Teslas/etc doing 150mph only get 100 miles of range I believe, so in a race across Germany a jazz may actually beat them?

To a normal driver the difference between 50mpg and 60mpg might only be 30p a day according to one online calculator I used - not much on a £23k car.

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #316 on: February 15, 2022, 11:52:37 AM »
10,000 miles...... I've only just gone over 1,000

I used to get 50mpg average in my auto Civic so I'm looking forward to warmer weather. Then we'll be moaning about aircon MPG :)
I’m on track to complete maybe 11-12k miles in under 6 months!

A bit more than my usual 15k pa miles but I’ve been on a few UK holidays.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #317 on: February 15, 2022, 03:37:11 PM »
I have had the Jazz EX Style for 3 weeks and so far am disappointed that despite deliberately driving very frugally to try an achieve best fuel consumption, I have achieved an average of 54mpg over 500 miles. I have followed all available guidance including switching off AC and switching on Economy mode.  I have driven a couple of journeys of 200 miles on an A road at speeds of 50 to 60 and the rest in town at speeds on average of 30. I have been extremely light on the accelerator and have found so far that I achieve best fuel consumption at low speed, in town.  I really am so very disappointed that the car has achieved nothing like the 62 mpg claimed to be normal and nowhere in the region of the 70mpg that all reviewers claim is fairly achievable.  My Mk 11 Jazz regularly achieved 50mpg and sometimes even 60. I am hopeful that the disappointing mpg is down to the cold weather but any advice would be appreciated.  My gripe apart, the car is amazing to drive and beautifully finished
I havnt driven much on long A road journeys since the winter,Its currently mostly half hour runs in the the suburbs. My average  over 2000miles since october is about 63 mpg, without being super frugal.  I never use Eco mode . But   I  am surprised you are not getting 60mpg + on  long A road runs . even in winter.
I dont mean any offence  but maybe your idea of  extremely light on the throttle has still not yet  quite hit the sweet spot of throttle control  that  gives best results in a mk4.  It  really is ' foot on an eggshell'  stuff.  You almost get the car to go faster by mind  control, not by consciously pressing on the pedal as you might in a mk 11.   Hit the sweet spot and the car performs very respectably  under 'mind control ' -more than enough for normal driving  .  Exceed it by even a little  (which will be necessary sometimes when hill climbing and brisk overtakes ) and fuel consumption suffers.     Eco mode helps by suppressing throttle response, but its still possible to over do it. If you can master throttle control without using ECO mode the car feels much more perky and responsive.

I can only suggest persevering with gentle throttle control. It falls in nicely with the instant torque response in EV mode. And again ,sorry if you already have.    Also,  it can make a significant difference  if you are travelling uphill ,or downhill on average during the journey. Even if its not enough that you would normally  notice.  Maybe you were just unlucky with the terrain on your trips so far.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2022, 03:52:43 PM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #318 on: February 15, 2022, 04:40:01 PM »
I have had the Jazz EX Style for 3 weeks and so far am disappointed that despite deliberately driving very frugally to try an achieve best fuel consumption, I have achieved an average of 54mpg over 500 miles. I have followed all available guidance including switching off AC and switching on Economy mode.  I have driven a couple of journeys of 200 miles on an A road at speeds of 50 to 60 and the rest in town at speeds on average of 30. I have been extremely light on the accelerator and have found so far that I achieve best fuel consumption at low speed, in town.  I really am so very disappointed that the car has achieved nothing like the 62 mpg claimed to be normal and nowhere in the region of the 70mpg that all reviewers claim is fairly achievable.  My Mk 11 Jazz regularly achieved 50mpg and sometimes even 60. I am hopeful that the disappointing mpg is down to the cold weather but any advice would be appreciated.  My gripe apart, the car is amazing to drive and beautifully finished

I can see where you are coming from. I'm just starting to get slightly annoyed at the fuel consumption. I got my car in mid October and I'm showing a genuine 50.8 mpg over, admittedly, a relatively short total mileage of 650 (ish) miles. On the car's computer I'm showing 52 mpg at the moment which, from past experience, is probably 4 mpg out so 48 mpg on this current tank.

This is better than my Mk3 in similar conditions but probably about 8 mpg at best better. I drive in B mode with the ECON button on most of the time.

It's a matter of psychology. You, like me, are seeing road tests showing mid 50s or better, other owners getting over 60 mpg.

One thing I did do to see if my (relatively) poor mpg was exceptional was to check similar cars on the fuel consumption website - spritmonitor.de. On that site there are plenty of drivers grubbing along at 50 mpg and significantly lower in some cases. Digging deeper I've seen a driver who has covered a lot of miles in an EX and he is averaging a tad over 50 and, on some tanks, he was down in the mid to late 30s.

I do a lot of short stuff, allegedly the car's forte in terms of mpg, but not in my case. I put it down to the fact that, in this cold weather, the engine is on a lot of the time both charging the battery AND keeping the cabin warm.

I think, though, we need to wait for the better weather. If I'm still grubbing along at 48 to 50 mpg I will be very disappointed.

Poor fuel economy, or perhaps more accurately, disappointing fuel economy aside - I do love the car.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #319 on: February 15, 2022, 04:47:38 PM »
If you do a lot of short journeys from cold then that'll do it.

Almost all my journeys are ~30 miles so lots of warm miles, engine, tyres, etc. From what I've read, anything under 16 miles and the cars not fully warm.
Let's be careful out there !

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #320 on: February 15, 2022, 05:07:04 PM »
I think the Which test - as opposed to WLTP - arrived at a figure of 56 mpg overall. Just looking again at Sandysally's post above, she is on about 54 mpg having had the car 3 weeks - 3 very cold weeks. I think she might be pushing 60 mpg when the weather improves.

I'd definitely settle for 56 mpg overall. Warmer weather and a few longer trips should help. I guess, given the hybrid, I see 50 mpg as the minimum - a psychological thing.

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #321 on: February 15, 2022, 05:35:26 PM »
I've done some rereading of the Jazz brochure - I'd missed that under normal WLTP the official MPG is 62 average but if you look further at the motorway only figure (WLTP high) it's only 48mpg.

Which is near what I'm getting, so quite accurate.

The Jazz Mk4 does do 0-60 in around 9 seconds, compared to competitors such as new Yaris that are doing it in 11 seconds, so the lower performance is probably why they are getting maybe 10% better fuel economy.

Compared to the Mk3 Jazz auto, the Mk4 is quicker to 60mph and also accelerating in gear. The fact it gets better mpg while being significantly faster is quite good.

Duel: Honda Jazz III 1.3i-VTEC CVT vs Honda Jazz IV Crosstar e:HEV
« Last Edit: February 15, 2022, 05:39:44 PM by sportse »

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #322 on: February 15, 2022, 05:45:32 PM »
For those who use the Jazz (or any car for that matter) a lot for short trips, try following this fuel-saving tip: Combine as many of those short trips as possible. So don't go for example to the dentist in the morning (1st cold start), shopping after lunch (next cold start) and than, at the end of the afternoon also quickly to the bank (3rd cold start) and so on...
If you combine these three in this example, the first ride gives quite a high consumption, but after half an hour at the dentist the engine has not really cooled down and the second ride the consumption already looks better and the engine gets really warm. After 20 to 30 minutes in the supermarket you start with a reasonably warm engine and you have an even better consumption.

I know: a rather obvious tip, but you have to put in some effort...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2022, 05:51:38 PM by Jazzik »
If nothing goes right, go left!

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #323 on: February 15, 2022, 05:54:38 PM »
Yes - I have been trying to collate trips into one. It's the weather I think. In October I filled the car after around 170 miles just to get an inkling of what the mpg was like and the first tank showed over 54 mpg (it showed 58 on the car's computer). The second tank, over 300 miles, was down at 48.8 and I think I am in late 40s on this current tank. When I do fill up my overall mpg will almost certainly dip below 50.

To be fair, it's the most economical car since my VW Golf Diesel and the most economical petrol car by some distance. I must stop being so competitive about mpg figures :)

John Ratsey

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #324 on: February 16, 2022, 11:22:49 AM »
I've said more than once that IMHO Honda should have designed the electrically powered aircon to be reversible so it could be used as a heatpump. This would have reduced the adverse effects on mpg caused by the engine running under sub-optimal conditions* to provide heat (enabling Eco mode reduces this problem by allowing a bigger difference between target and actual cabin temperatures so it lets the engine stop more often). I've been using the seat heating for the first few miles of any journey or in urban driving with cabin heating only used on longer runs or to clear the windows. I would have also liked to have blocked off most of the front grille but found that to be a challenge. If the standard fuel efficiency tests included a proper cold weather component then vehicle manufacturers would have more incentive to address the cold weather problem.

My Crosstar claimed 61 mpg on a 6 mile trip across town on Monday (temperature about 9C) and 79 mpg on the return home about an hour later. The mpg on short trips can be strongly influenced by the difference in battery charge between start and end but starting the return journey with a warm engine would have helped.

*See for an excellent explanation of the design philosophy.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #325 on: February 16, 2022, 02:30:34 PM »
Interesting John. I do know, that amongst EV early adopters, pre-heating and/or using the heated seats were seen as  ways of reducing the effect of cold weather on range. My pal still has his 2014 Nissan Leaf and he does the preheating thing via an app on his phone on cold days. He uses AC to clear the windows if misted up.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #326 on: February 17, 2022, 11:44:00 AM »
Feeling a bit better about mpg this morning. I've found a similar car to mine on spritmonitor who has an overall mpg over just over 50 but, since October, this car has travelled around 1500 miles and hasn't once registered a tank of 50 mpg or more - mostly mid to late 40s.

What was instructive about this car's figures was a bell shaped curve from early 2021 to early 2022. Poor mpg at both ends but much better mpg from, say, April through to October.

So I'm now thinking 48 mpg isn't that bad and I may get to late 50's in the warmer weather. If I record a 60 mpg tank at any stage I will be buying champagne!

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #327 on: February 19, 2022, 02:09:21 PM »
When I had a new Fiesta I noticed an improvement in MPG when I passed 2000 miles.  I had the same from my Corolla when I passed 4000 miles. Given that the engine in the Corolla only runs 50% of the time then that would be similar to the Fiesta.  With electrical assistance hybrid engines are less stressed than normal ICEs.  There is a guy on the Toyota forum who has an Auris that has done in excess of 150000 miles and he says his fuel consumption is still as good as it ever was.

I think the Honda and Toyota hybrid systems are the best around.  Most other manufacturers have mated their hybrids to a DGS gearbox, a potential source of problems in the years ahead as most drivers treat them like conventional automatics.

corbett

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: honda jazz hybrid
« Reply #328 on: February 22, 2022, 06:35:09 PM »
Had my ex for 4 weeks now just completed 500 miles
Today went from Nottingham to Bakewell, approx 50% on motorway and the rest on minor roads,  a steady 55 - 60 mph on motorway, achieved 58.2mpg.
On way back same route similar speed and driving conditions, this time 82.5 MPG.
Can only assume was to do with wind and gradient.
Lovely drive and used ACC  just on motorway no problems at all.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #329 on: February 25, 2022, 11:00:45 AM »
Just filled up only because I had a Nectar card offer that was about to expire. 48.5 mpg just a tad down on the last fuel up but my 50 plus mpg status overall is just preserved. Hoping for better mpg going forward as the weather warms up. I wonder how much per litre my next fill up will be? £2 per litre perhaps?

Tags: