Author Topic: MPG for those interested  (Read 145138 times)

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
Re: MPG for those interested
« Reply #285 on: February 07, 2022, 12:22:00 PM »
I once filled up at Sainsburies then drove a few hundred metres to park.  IIRC it showed 117 mpg !
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #286 on: February 08, 2022, 04:23:12 PM »
I recently drove a 30 mile trip - 60% urban, 20% at 50mph and 20% at 70mph - total average was 68mpg.

It’s high steady speed that really drops the mpg in the Jazz. (But 50mpg is still very good - my old Accord 2.0 petrol would be doing maybe mid thirties mpg)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #287 on: February 11, 2022, 05:36:52 PM »
Just a little comment on mpg. I think my car is doing around 48 to 49 miles per gallon as things stand. I've been doing some digging in spritmonitor and there is a decent sized cohort who are getting well under 50 mpg over longish periods. I saw one owner who even had the odd tank under 40 mpg. The lowest mpg, for a tank, was 36 mpg.

We are still in the winter but I can't see me ever getting close to 60 mpg, even on a run.

What am I doing wrong? I drive like a granny on sedatives. Don't get me wrong, the mpg is significantly better than the Mk3 but 60 mpg? How?

sportse

• Approved Member
MPG for those interested
« Reply #288 on: February 11, 2022, 06:51:04 PM »
Just a little comment on mpg. I think my car is doing around 48 to 49 miles per gallon as things stand. I've been doing some digging in spritmonitor and there is a decent sized cohort who are getting well under 50 mpg over longish periods. I saw one owner who even had the odd tank under 40 mpg. The lowest mpg, for a tank, was 36 mpg.

We are still in the winter but I can't see me ever getting close to 60 mpg, even on a run.

What am I doing wrong? I drive like a granny on sedatives. Don't get me wrong, the mpg is significantly better than the Mk3 but 60 mpg? How?
It seems to be a combination of time,speed and temperature.

If I stay under 50mph on journeys I can easily get 60+mpg.

Journeys need to be sufficient distance/time - say 20+ miles.

The first start of the day after being parked outside is always lower in the cold/freezing weather. The second trip gets better mpg as the engine/cabin are already warm.

I don’t baby the accelerator- something I learned from Prius. Car engines are most efficient under 80% load, so accelerating briskly up to the speed limit and then maintaining the speed maybe the car will use EV mode quite a bit once cruising.

FYI hybrid cars work backwards to ordinary ones - they get worse mpg on a run, and better mpg when stuck in slow moving traffic.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 09:10:03 PM by sportse »

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #289 on: February 12, 2022, 05:27:26 AM »
I got 60mpg yesterday, 8C outside, on a mainly motorway run from Heathrow to Reading  :)

Let's be careful out there !

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #290 on: February 12, 2022, 06:00:49 AM »
I got 60mpg yesterday, 8C outside, on a mainly motorway run from Heathrow to Reading  :)
Was that all at 70mph? There’s nothing I can do to get above 50mpg at 70mph on 50+ mile trips in the Jazz :(

It’s 10% lower mpg than my mark 1 Yaris hybrid got on long motorway trips.

As soon as the speed drops, the mpg goes up though.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #291 on: February 12, 2022, 07:35:02 AM »
Not 70 as I tend to max out around 60, I find it more relaxing. Plus M4 junctions 3 to 8/9 are still 50mph in the roadworks.

guest9814

« Reply #292 on: February 12, 2022, 08:08:21 AM »
There he get 58 MPG
Cold weather lots of highways and hills, and he not baby gas pedal to.

Bristol_Crosstar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance Sport
« Reply #293 on: February 12, 2022, 08:29:33 AM »

Do you have ECO switched on, I find it does make a difference of up to 10%?

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #294 on: February 12, 2022, 08:44:08 AM »
Just for info my Eco is off.

sportse

• Approved Member
MPG for those interested
« Reply #295 on: February 12, 2022, 09:30:50 AM »
It seems to be long distance high speed where the mpg drops - set the cruise control for a real 70mph (72mph indicated on 16” wheels) and you only get 50mpg :(

The hybrid system can’t really help in those situations as it’s limited in what it can do.

The petrol engine is directly connected to the wheels during high speed cruising.

guest9814

« Reply #296 on: February 12, 2022, 12:05:22 PM »
The petrol engine is directly connected to the wheels during high speed cruising.

Because at this speeds using ICE directly connected to transmission more eficient.

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #297 on: February 12, 2022, 12:19:33 PM »

Because at this speeds using ICE directly connected to transpission more eficient.
50mpg seems to be as efficient as it gets for the 1.5 petrol engine at 70mph.

Its still maybe 20% better than the mark 2 Jazz loan cars I used to have.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #298 on: February 12, 2022, 12:31:49 PM »
Thanks to Roman for posting the You Tube video from the Irish car dealer. I'd settle for 58 mpg given the type of driving on that trip - it's excellent and he doesn't hold back, you can hear the petrol engine being pushed hard at times.

I have ECON on and use B mode nearly all the time.

I've decided to do a 50 mile or so "mixed" run when I next fill up. I see 60 mpg as a target - I just want to see it :)

sportse

• Approved Member
MPG for those interested
« Reply #299 on: February 12, 2022, 01:43:19 PM »
The best I’ve had was through long 50mph sections of motorway- just set the cruise control and I was getting 75mpg.

It shows how wind resistance plays a big difference in fuel economy:

75 mpg at 50mph

50mpg at 70mph

Many of the so called real ranges on pure EV cars are based on speeds around 50mph - in the real world if you are on the motorway long distance at 70mph it will be considerably less. Combined with cold weather and it’s even worse.

Tags: