Author Topic: MPG for those interested  (Read 144977 times)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: MPG for those interested
« Reply #210 on: December 27, 2021, 04:14:05 AM »
Similar, I'm down from ~66 to 60 on average.

As posted, the need for heating, warming the engine from freezing and lights is to blame I guess.

Let's be careful out there !

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #211 on: December 27, 2021, 01:15:47 PM »
I seem to be stuck on about 52 mpg at present - allowing for the optimism of the on board computer I guess I'm on around 47/48 mpg. Just looking back at my previous car - a Mk3 - I'd be in mid to late 30s at this time of year. My first tank indicated 54 mpg (actual) and this was October/November.

I think, as a ball park figure, over a year, my average might pan out at about 52 mpg - almost exactly 10 mpg better than my Mk3. My stop/start short stuff, predominantly in urban areas would challenge the fuel economy of any ICE car.

In reality I use very little fuel anyway given my annual mileage of less than 3,000 so the cost savings whilst nice are not a big deal.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #212 on: December 27, 2021, 01:32:08 PM »
I keep wondering whether a tank full of E5 would make any difference

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #213 on: December 27, 2021, 01:40:35 PM »
I've wondered about using E5 - my small mileage would make the cost difference insignificant. My unscientific brain wonders whether, given the engine is used mostly as a generator so, presumably not even close to be being under significant load, it would improve anything?

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #214 on: December 27, 2021, 02:22:13 PM »
Low mileage here as well.

Picked mine up 3rd Sep and I'm nearly on 800 miles.

When I think back to the 70's when I was doing 30k a year as a part time minicab in West London..

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #215 on: December 27, 2021, 04:19:41 PM »
I've wondered about using E5 - my small mileage would make the cost difference insignificant. My unscientific brain wonders whether, given the engine is used mostly as a generator so, presumably not even close to be being under significant load, it would improve anything?
It will be a bit cleaner inside as E5 usually contains a higher concentration of cleaner additives.

When the generator is called on for full power, E10 might be a few percent lower than the power with E5. I believe the performance figures are taken using the best pump fuel available.

At high speed cruise the engine is actually connected to the wheels via a fixed clutch , so the small normal engineimprovements from E5 should be seen then.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #216 on: December 27, 2021, 05:36:00 PM »
It will be a bit cleaner inside as E5 usually contains a higher concentration of cleaner additives.

Who told you that fairy tale...?
If nothing goes right, go left!

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #217 on: December 27, 2021, 05:58:36 PM »

Who told you that fairy tale...?
https://www.shell.co.uk/motorist/v-power-fuels.html

If it wasn’t true likely the advertising standards agency would stop them.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #218 on: December 27, 2021, 06:09:20 PM »

........................................................................................

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #219 on: December 27, 2021, 06:33:26 PM »

........................................................................................

On every car I've owned, I can tell the difference in torque/HP between standard fuels and super - it will be increased further now with E5 and E10.

On the Toyota Auris and Yaris hybrids I used to own, running on the super unleaded also made a big difference to vibration both when the ICE was starting up and also at max power on slip roads.

MPG increase on super pays for some of the difference in cost - I'm very happy to pay the remaining difference for the increased performance and smoother running.

I only intend to run the Jazz up to a maximum of 90k miles to stay in warranty, so very long term engine health increases on super (150/200k miles) won't benefit me.

To anyone who hasn't tried Shell V-Power/etc - try a tank and see if your full tank mpg/etc is improved.

On older cars I've bought, around 50/60k miles, the first tank of premium has made the car run worse as it has been cleaning out the engine.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #220 on: December 27, 2021, 07:55:07 PM »

Made a trip of 106 km (65 mi) today in typical winter conditions. The car was started at 11:30 am in the garage, where the thermometer showed +2°C. It was -7°C outside at that time. The destination was 53 kilometers. We arrived at 12.25 pm. It was about 12 km. (8 mi) city traffic and 41 km. (25 mi) local roads with a speed limit of 90 kmh (56 mph).
We were at our destination for more than 2½ hours, the car parked at -6°C.
Returned the same way after a (very) cold start, arriving home around 4 pm, temperature -7°C.
Sun all day and little wind. Heating the entire trip at 21.5°C, econ and in "B". Fuel: Euro 95, here in Poland (still) E5.
According to the BC average speed 45 kmh (28 mph), fuel consumption 4.3 l/100 km. (65.7mpg).
Let that BC "lie" just 0.2 liters, then it is a real consumption of 4.5 l/100 km. (62.8mph)!
I think this is "ice cold" an excellent consumption!

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #221 on: December 27, 2021, 09:03:21 PM »
On every car I've owned, I can tell the difference in torque/HP between standard fuels and super - it will be increased further now with E5 and E10.

On the Toyota Auris and Yaris hybrids I used to own, running on the super unleaded also made a big difference to vibration both when the ICE was starting up and also at max power on slip roads.

Our previous car was a Toyota Yaris Hybrid. Here in Poland we always used E95 E5. But (pre-covid) we drove thousands and thousands of miles in Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium and France. Always on E10....
I have never seen, heard or felt any difference. No vibrations when starting the ICE and maximum power on slip roads was fine. As it was on E5.
Maybe there could be a difference in mpg, but there was also (much) difference in conditions.

Conclusion: I am an insensitive person or others are hypersensitive.

Theoretically, a car engine would have a few percent higher consumption on E10 than on E5. But do you know that a difference in headwind or tailwind of 1 or 2 Beaufort makes a much bigger difference? And do you drive with an anemometer on your roof?

sportse

• Approved Member
MPG for those interested
« Reply #222 on: December 28, 2021, 06:50:20 AM »

Our previous car was a Toyota Yaris Hybrid. Here in Poland we always used E95 E5. But (pre-covid) we drove thousands and thousands of miles in Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium and France. Always on E10....
I have never seen, heard or felt any difference. No vibrations when starting the ICE and maximum power on slip roads was fine. As it was on E5.
Maybe there could be a difference in mpg, but there was also (much) difference in conditions.

Conclusion: I am an insensitive person or others are hypersensitive.

Theoretically, a car engine would have a few percent higher consumption on E10 than on E5. But do you know that a difference in headwind or tailwind of 1 or 2 Beaufort makes a much bigger difference? And do you drive with an anemometer on your roof?
Perhaps I’m sensitive to performance- I used to turn off the air conditioning on my civic on slip roads as it made a difference to acceleration.

My Yaris hybrid had a slight shudder when the ICE started up and a slight rattle under full power with ordinary 95 unleaded.

My long term average mpg on the Yaris hybrid was 57mpg on the gauge, which was a real tank average of 55mpg. But the Yaris was much slower than the Jazz at higher speeds.

Auris hybrid mpg was quite a bit lower, in winter I might see 42mpg average.

Jazz is doing well, faster than Auris and gets still over 50mpg mostly - only dropping to 45mpg when very cold.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #223 on: December 28, 2021, 10:31:45 AM »

Perhaps I’m sensitive to performance- I used to turn off the air conditioning on my civic on slip roads as it made a difference to acceleration.

Normally the aircon clutch gets disconnected by ECU when a sudden press of accelerator is detected.  The clutch also gets disengaged when starting the engine...
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #224 on: December 28, 2021, 12:15:22 PM »
My Yaris hybrid had a slight shudder when the ICE started up and a slight rattle under full power with ordinary 95 unleaded.

My long term average mpg on the Yaris hybrid was 57mpg on the gauge, which was a real tank average of 55mpg. But the Yaris was much slower than the Jazz at higher speeds.

Jazz is doing well, faster than Auris and gets still over 50mpg mostly - only dropping to 45mpg when very cold.

Our Yaris didn't have a shudder nor a rattle with ordinary 95 E5 or 95 E10.
The long term average mpg on the Yaris hybrid, measured over 4 years https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/842930.html was 57,89 mpg (4,88 l/100 km).

Our Jazz is (till now) doing slightly better: from August till now 63,48 mpg (4,45 l/100 km).

Tags:

anything