Author Topic: MPG for those interested  (Read 145252 times)

guest9814

Re: MPG for those interested
« Reply #195 on: November 27, 2021, 06:10:48 PM »
Throttle control may be more effective if we can see how much power we taking from battery, I not understand Honda, they include power meter on insight, clarity, new CR-V e:HEV, HR-V e:HEV, but Jazz e:HEV not, there plenty space on screen, they can put it as simple linear meter above real time ICE consumption or replace it with power meter, this can help to get better mileage.
Of course I can use OBD tool with car scanner to add  this function but not everyone can do that and this is not good, as this requires to have another smartphone or tablet and need to be mounted on dashboard.
When I used this app with elm327 adapter I have set on screen power meter and I clearly see how much energy used, and also simple to found accelerator pedal position when I want to glide after I get to speed I wanted, need to play with accelerator pedal to get power consumption close to 0 (possible to do that also without car scanner but much difficult)
In this case when consumption at 0 on meter car gradually loses speed if we on level road like with manual transmission in neutral , or accelerate when we on slope  but this more efficient then accelerating and then braking by using electric braking as we loses some energy.

guest9814

« Reply #196 on: November 27, 2021, 06:41:42 PM »
 :D
Looked now spritmonitor
And compared fuel consumption on my page and on pages of other owners of new Honda Jazz with similar average consumption.
Interesting ….
Consumption starting to decrease after 5-6 months of driving……
Is this time needed to understand how to drive more efficiently or something else ?

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #197 on: November 28, 2021, 01:51:20 AM »
My old 1.8 auto Civic used to fluctuate between 45mpg/50mpg winter/summer, virtually no town driving.

My Jazz is doing around 64mpg/70mpg winter/summer, same conditions.

I'm happy and I certainly wouldn't be driving round with the heating off and wearing a big fluffy coat and gloves just to get a few more mpg
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 01:33:57 PM by Kremmen »
Let's be careful out there !

Mike Quinn

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz SR
« Reply #198 on: November 28, 2021, 11:11:17 AM »
My old 1.8 auto Civic used to fluctuate between 45mpg/50mpg winter/summer, virtually no town driving.

My Jazz is doing around 64mpg/70mpg winter/summer, same conditions.

I'm happy and I certainly wouldn't be driving round with the heating off and wearing a big fluffy coat jhat and gloves ust to get a few more mpg

I agree to a certain extent. If my mpg was in the same ballpark as others I wouldn’t be too bothered about it but when I see there is a clear difference between my 53mpg and your 64 in all conditions it’ll drive me nuts until I found out why.

So of course the obvious, why put the heater on at all when driving from cold as it’s only going to blow cold air. Unless you need to de-mist. So 2c this morning and left heater Off and again went into ev pretty much straight away. So as I do a few short journeys a day this could be what’s dragging the mpg down. I’ll persevere with this theory and see how our goes.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #199 on: November 28, 2021, 12:56:59 PM »
All cars have a significantly increased fuel consumption  with short journeys from a cold start.  Some  just dont display mpg figures  as obviously as the Mk4  if at all. 

I know it doesnt help to mention a function you dont have but  I'm wondering how much not having heated seats and steering wheel affects your figures .

So far ,with temperatures down to about 3c  I have  found the heated seats and wheel heat  up quickly and give sufficient heat for the early part of the journey. After a few miles the engine is warm enough to take over heating duty without too much affect on economy. This coincides with the seats getting a little too toasty and needing turning down or off. 

But admittedly I have not yet needed to use the screen demist/defrost function.

I still think heated seats (and wheel) are luxuries I could do without if necessary   ,  but its nice to have them.

Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #200 on: November 28, 2021, 01:01:56 PM »
All cars have a significantly increased fuel consumption  with short journeys from a cold start.  Some  just dont display mpg figures  as obviously as the Mk4  if at all. 

I know it doesnt help to mention a function you dont have but  I'm wondering how much not having heated seats and steering wheel affects your figures .

So far ,with temperatures down to about 3c  I have  found the heated seats and wheel heat  up quickly and give sufficient heat for the early part of the journey. After a few miles the engine is warm enough to take over heating duty without too much affect on economy. This coincides with the seats getting a little too toasty and needing turning down or off. 

I still think heated seats (and wheel) are luxuries I could do without if necessary   ,  but its nice to have them.

IIRC Jocko stopped using the heater after startup and watched his scangauge for engine temperature to rise before turning heater on ( or maybe watched the blue light ).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #201 on: November 28, 2021, 01:13:19 PM »

I know EV drivers who have heated seats see them as a major ally in increasing range in really cold weather in that they don't draw as much power as the car's main heating system (usually a heat pump).

I tend to have the Climate Control set at 21 degrees and on auto so, in my case, use of heated seats would be another additional drain on the battery. I guess I could reduce the thermostat by a few degrees, use the heated seats and get extra efficiency that way.

But I can't be bothered. I am delighted with the fuel consumption. If the car can get north of 50 mpg with my diet of short stop/start journeys in towns I am well pleased.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #202 on: November 28, 2021, 01:37:07 PM »
As I've posted before, I'm very pleased with the heater.

My old Civic used to take about 2 miles down my local 50mph by-pass before it started puffing any warmth. The Jazz starts blowing warm air in half that distance.

I've got climate set to auto 21.5C

guest9814

« Reply #203 on: November 29, 2021, 04:48:01 AM »
Comfort or better MPG
Choose of everyone, we living in different climates, don’t forget that, in my country rarely temperature reach lower then +5 ( if I not in Ramon crater)
And of course I use heater when I need it, but only when my journey relatively long but again we not have temperature such as -15, with true cold winter nothing to do with MPG heater should be used, but  21 degrees C in freezing winter wil eat too much gasoline, I may heat salon up to 16 degrees C (just because this temperature comfortably fo me) and first 2-3 minutes of drive if defrost not needed only heated seat.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #204 on: November 29, 2021, 07:21:23 AM »
I wonder if it does ?

Initially, to get the water hot, yes, but once it's hot, would the normal engine run to charge the HV battery be alm9st enough to keep the water hot.

At the moment it's -2c out there in London so the heater, if only to keep the inside windows clear is probably needed.

**** the MPG hit :D

Derek cranage

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz crosstar
« Reply #205 on: December 05, 2021, 10:18:25 PM »
Out of interest my last car was a Merc B200 automatic ( DSG type of gear box). At just below 60,000 miles it had averaged 49.8 mpg from new and this did include some caravan towing. I often had 62 or 63 mpg on a run and my wife, she drives it softer than me, had achieved over 70 mpg
These are actual figures based on fuel purchased, not what the car said. I am not a hard driver and as it was a second car it was mainly run on longer journeys with very little town work.  all my cars are garaged and I do think this helps in winter. The car had climate control and I had it set at 20C and I cannot ever remember switching it off,including the AC  I just never touched it winter or summer.
I just hope the Crosstar I have on order will be better for the atmosphere
I do think the jazz would be a lot better in town work than the Merc but on run not much difference

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #206 on: December 06, 2021, 10:40:15 AM »
Excellent mpg figures Derek - was the Merc a diesel? I'm finding the Mk4 Jazz is the first car to equal the mpg I got from my 2005 Mk5 VW Golf 1.9TDI.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #207 on: December 06, 2021, 11:10:00 AM »
Out of interest my last car was a Merc B200 automatic ( DSG type of gear box). At just below 60,000 miles it had averaged 49.8 mpg from new and this did include some caravan towing.
If you still intend towing a caravan, or any trailer, bear in mind this is illegal  with a  Jazz Mk4 and Crosstar. They have no maximum tow weight type approval recorded on their registration document.
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

sportse

• Approved Member
MPG for those interested
« Reply #208 on: December 22, 2021, 01:03:32 PM »
The first trip of the day with a cold soaked car has quite an difference on the mpg for that trip.

It was minus 4 last night, minus 1 when I started the car and defrosted - I got my lowest mpg so far of 45.4 today for a 70mph trip with the heater required as outside it was mostly freezing.

It’s still quite good mpg though.

Hicardo

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64mpg summer avg, 56mpg winter avg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Surf Blue 2021
« Reply #209 on: December 26, 2021, 06:56:28 PM »
Quite a drop in winter over summer mpg figs, which is to be expected of course.  I was getting 64mpg average, now thats down to about 56mpg average.  tied into that are more shorter trips, so perhaps its exaggerated a little.  still , I think thats still super economical.   8) 8)

Tags:

anything