Author Topic: MPG for those interested  (Read 145075 times)

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
Re: MPG for those interested
« Reply #180 on: November 20, 2021, 03:33:10 AM »
First fill - early for convenience @ 382 miles gave 53.2mpg (dashboard - 52.9). Range max would be 468.

Countryside running. Mainly D last third with eco.

Looking for better as run-in completes.

2nd fill - early for convenience @ 760 miles gave 51.9mpg (dashboard - 53.9). Range max would be 456.
Day previous 130 miles round trip mainly dual carriageway +/- 70mph.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #181 on: November 20, 2021, 04:11:53 AM »
I wonder why you're getting ~10mpg less than me ?

Can't be traffic as the engine stops.
Let's be careful out there !

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #182 on: November 20, 2021, 09:44:23 AM »
I wonder why you're getting ~10mpg less than me ?
Can't be traffic as the engine stops.
I believe it has something to do with the weight of the right foot  ::)
Neil Ives

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #183 on: November 20, 2021, 02:25:28 PM »
I find there's a  sweet spot with the right foot, even on the motorway. Keep just within it you can  maintain speed, and still get  quite sprightly acceleration when required .  Exceed it ,even by a little, and fuel consumption can rise significantly without much extra performance.  Floor it and you become a gas guzzler.

ACC can have a heavy right foot. If the vehicle in front slows  you to say 50 mph and you then move into a clear lane the ACC will accelerate  quite  hard to regain  speed ,guzzling fuel . Better  to accelerate manually, and more gently, only letting the ACC resume control after you reach the desired speed.

Those who generally drive at 60 mph on motorways have a double mpg advantage.  Slower speed  plus they are  often protected from wind resistance by a truck in front. 

I have found mpg , and how often the car goes into EV mode, can vary  even at the same speed , same light traffic  and the same apparent gradient.   I suspect it depends on whether you have a head wind or tail wind.

Adjusting your speed by even a mph or two can keep you in the mpg sweet spot .       Unfortunately I dont find the constant mpg bar display very helpful here.  Its only shows 0 ,70 and 140 mpg.  You have to estimate the actual figure. 
It also seems the wrong way round for mpg  where a high figure is good. Better for litres/km where low is good.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 02:28:29 PM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #184 on: November 20, 2021, 03:14:32 PM »
ACC can have a heavy right foot. If the vehicle in front slows  you to say 50 mph and you then move into a clear lane the ACC will accelerate  quite  hard to regain  speed ,guzzling fuel .
True
Neil Ives

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #185 on: November 20, 2021, 03:26:10 PM »
That's why I like the LIM instead on speed controlled motorways. I control the rate of acceleration.
Let's be careful out there !

guest9814

« Reply #186 on: November 26, 2021, 05:04:33 PM »
Last tank i filled was 98 RON gasoline and computer was sure i can do 1150km to empty tank (when i use car in city) , but then i do  trip to  Dead Sea (-389m below sea level ) with speed ~90km/h from big  Tel Aviv +47m above Sea level to 477m elevation in higest point  above sea level and climate control set to+23 Celsius, with with 3 passengers  - 326km total round trip, then 216 km with one passenger on highway with speed 90km/h, and rest 432km  with one passenger in city with speed 40-50 km/h, when low fuel light up i done 955 km, car calculated consumption 3.6l/100, then consumption dropped to 3.5l/100 after another trip of 19km (in fact it should display 3.59l/100km but when car dashboard set to metric system it's less accurate then when displays UK MPG) , entered fuel station with 38km left to empty tank  i gues there left 4.7l  and i done 974km from full tank (on average with our 95 RON i can get 850km to low fuel message), this time filled 10l of 95 RON (engine  knocks  again when engine cold).
Price of gasoline in Israel - 1 UK gallon of  95 RON was 6,768 GBP and 98 RON 7,4 GBP

Mike Quinn

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz SR
« Reply #187 on: November 26, 2021, 08:35:33 PM »
I’ve had the new jazz for a month now and slightly disappointed with averaging 53mpg. Thought I’d get a bit more. Think the issue is very short distances driven 3 times a day and the batteries haven’t had time to warm up therefore EV mode not kicking in. Also notice I get much better mpg when I drive over my wife with her big led foot.

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #188 on: November 26, 2021, 09:34:50 PM »
Short distances in winter do drop the mpg quite a bit.

I got 40mpg for a trip recently, but on the way back it was over 50mpg.

With the engine running, if I turn off the heating it stops instantly and restarts when I switch it back on. In the summer it often doesn’t need to start up if the outside temperature is warm.

guest9814

« Reply #189 on: November 26, 2021, 10:17:19 PM »
I’ve had the new jazz for a month now and slightly disappointed with averaging 53mpg. Thought I’d get a bit more. Think the issue is very short distances driven 3 times a day and the batteries haven’t had time to warm up therefore EV mode not kicking in. Also notice I get much better mpg when I drive over my wife with her big led foot.
You beat my worst record....
When i have my car for 3 month i did mostly short trips 0.6-1.8 miles twice day and lightly used heater
managed to get 67 MPG but our winter is not so cold and minimal temperature last year were i live +6 Celsius.
I found that best MPG in town is when trip is not shorter then 4-5 miles and speed  up to 25mph (with this speed on level road Jazz can stay in EV mode up to 80% of time)
Check tyres pressure when they cold (low tyre pressure lowers MPG)
Usage of heater with short trips will give you worst MPG, if possible use seat heater.(now when outside temperature around +16 engine get to normal working temperature of 80 Celsius in town after traveling ~2.5 miles)
When you lightly press accelerator you can found pedal position where no acceleration or regenerative breaking occurs so when you get to you speed say 25 mph and you on level road or descending you can drive  without wasting gas or electricity some distance.

Mike Quinn

• Registered Member
« Reply #190 on: November 27, 2021, 10:39:49 AM »
[quote author=Mike Quinn link=topic=12364.msg112170#msg112170 date=

Usage of heater with short trips will give you worst MPG, if possible use seat heater.(now when outside temperature around +16 engine get to normal working temperature of 80 Celsius in town after traveling ~2.5 miles)

Found this interesting. Went short to this morning, usually get 28 to 30mpg. It’s cold this morning 3c so didn’t expect much. Turned off the heater totally and ev came in very quickly. Got 54mpg. Is this The answer I wonder. Certainly worth trying a few times to see.

However not sure Is it the heater the issue or the ac? 

guest9814

« Reply #191 on: November 27, 2021, 11:32:23 AM »
[quote author=Mike Quinn link=topic=12364.msg112170#msg112170 date=

Found this interesting. Went short to this morning, usually get 28 to 30mpg. It’s cold this morning 3c so didn’t expect much. Turned off the heater totally and ev came in very quickly. Got 54mpg. Is this The answer I wonder. Certainly worth trying a few times to see.

Heater turns on when you choose on climate control temperature higher then outside/in vehicle temperature, more difference between outside or in vehicle temperature and temperature you set more energy will be consumed.
Heater also starts in summer if temperature that set becomes higher then outside or in vehicle.

Mike Quinn

• Registered Member
« Reply #192 on: November 27, 2021, 12:32:21 PM »

[/quote]
Heater turns on when you choose on climate control temperature higher then outside/in vehicle temperature, more difference between outside or in vehicle temperature and temperature you set more energy will be consumed.
Heater also starts in summer if temperature that set becomes higher then outside or in vehicle.
[/quote]

Yes but is the issue the heater or the air con.  As You can turn the heater on but have the aircon off

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #193 on: November 27, 2021, 03:49:16 PM »

Yes but is the issue the heater or the air con.  As You can turn the heater on but have the aircon off

If you have climate control set to  Auto  the heater will be used if it needs to raise cabin temperature to the set temperature ,air con used if it needs to reduce it. .   The right hand knob increases or reduces heater fan speed which may indirectly  affect the amount of heat extracted from the engine and fuel used to maintain engine temperature and battery power for the fan.
If the need is to raise cabin temperature the air con is usually off.

If you press the button for rapid windscreen clearance BOTH heating and air con are used.  (air con dehumidifies)

If you just want air con without automatically maintaining a set temperature the aircon button will switch this on and auto climate control off.

A 'normal 'car has an engine driven air conditioning compressor ,,a direct loading that increases fuel consumption.
  But I think the  Mk4 uses an electrically driven compressor (so it can still run in ev mode) .The engine may need to run more often to provide it with battery power but the effect on fuel consumption is reduced.

A heavy right foot can have a big affect on fuel consumption. You dont have to drive like a lunatic to fall foul of this.
The secret is to  keep within the sweet spot.  Its possible to accelerate quite rapidly without any conscious use of the throttle.    A bit like following slight curves without consciously steering  .  It needs very delicate and subtle  use of the throttle. If a driver has difficulty with this it may help to use Econ mode which suppresses throttle response.  (and climate control) . You can always give it some extra 'welly' when required.
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #194 on: November 27, 2021, 05:41:24 PM »
I think the advice about throttle control is very important. The old adage that you should imagine an egg between your foot and the throttle has a lot of merit. I like to gently squeeze rather than push hard if that makes sense.

An additional benefit, if you have the conventional CVT box in Mk2 and Mk3 models is it makes the "rubber band" effect far less pronounced.

Tags:

anything