Author Topic: MPG for those interested  (Read 142608 times)

guest9814

Re: MPG for those interested
« Reply #135 on: September 24, 2021, 09:14:30 AM »
Hi Kremmen
About ECON it hass effect on climate controll - in hot day if you using climate control without ECON the climate control can blow air with high speed, but when you press ECON button theclimate control  air blower speed reduces and cabin temperature not keeping always same temperature that you choise but can rise if you cooling cabing  and recirculation for air choisen (the speed near knob may remain same but you can hear that speed of blower reduced)
About acceleration with ECON pressed - if i gentle on accelerator pedal and i pushing ECON i can feel little reduction in power  (lets say it`s like if you drive an old car with 1.0l naturaly aspirated engine uphill and when acelerating  hitting air con on)
About regen braking without ECON - its more powerfull from my observation, when i removing my foot from accelerator and when pressing braking pedal .
This make sense because bigger economy is not when regen braking used but when car glades (no aceleration and no braking used) that reason to use ECON and B mode in town, when you gentle on accelerator you can catch its position where regen is almost not applied, you can check this when you driving downhill but becarefull when you in B mode and releasing accelerator fully you  speed redusing fast like you pressing  brak pedal  but stop light not activated !!!
But  if you doing small trips without A/C (lets say 6-8km) in town with speed up to 40km/h  and gentle with accelerator, allowing to car reduce speed slowly without hard regen braking if you need to stop you can get same fuel economy as with ECON pressed.
About fuel economy when my Jazz new it suffered firs 2 month from brak pads dragg. The pads was new and i almost not used them, several times i heared noise from rear of car when started to move (noise like from heavy car that braking hard but there was no car near me) I let to honda service check car -they told me that they not found something wrong with braking system but after this check that wooping noise from rear of car not came back and fuel economy started to rise .

guest9814

« Reply #136 on: September 25, 2021, 03:23:12 PM »
Play with obd2 car scanner

I not unedstand Honda
They included power meter on new HR-V e:HEV
But Jazz/FIT not get this meter...
That power flow that we have not much informative

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2003 Honda Jazz
« Reply #137 on: September 26, 2021, 12:35:29 PM »
Can anway tell me why in a mk1 Jazz at 70mph in top gear I can only manage 41mph when trying to be as gently as possible?
This is the Mk 4 Jazz forum so we Mk 4 Jazz owners hope to get better mpg than your Mk 4 Jazz. In addition to the factors you have mentioned, I expect that the engine is running outside of its most efficient zone (particularly if it's 1.2 L). What's the engine rpm at 70 mph?

Getting back to the Mk 4, I got a claimed 123.9 mpg on a 6 mile trip today. However, the car was assisted by gravity - the start was about 100m higher than the end. I forgot to note the mpg for the trip in the opposite direction but it would have been somewhat lower but it highlights the effect of height difference on individual trips.
It's a 2003 mk1 with the 1.4 litre petrol. Runs at bang on 3,500 RPM at 70mph.

John Ratsey

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #138 on: September 26, 2021, 10:12:27 PM »
It's a 2003 mk1 with the 1.4 litre petrol. Runs at bang on 3,500 RPM at 70mph.
I think that's the answer to your question. 3,500 rpm is well outside the zone of optimum engine efficiency. I think later Jazzes (certainly the CVT versions) are no more than 2,500 rpm at 70mph.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

• Approved Member
« Reply #139 on: September 26, 2021, 11:57:22 PM »
This, in my opinion, is why cars shouldn't be allowed 5 gears as it just isn't enough. If the Jazz had a 6th it would be far more efficient.

sportse

• Approved Member
MPG for those interested
« Reply #140 on: September 30, 2021, 12:53:00 PM »
An interesting journey - I have a regular 50 mile, 70mph journey in a fairly hilly area.

Normally I get around 52mpg if it’s clear and I’m mostly sitting with the ACC on.

Today I tried going at around 60mph or a bit less in ECON mode and with only very gentle acceleration.

I managed to get 61mpg, so an improvement of 9mpg.

It does show how efficient the car is to start with though, without having to drive differently at all. The heating wasn’t as effective in ECON mode too.

I see the HRV gets an eco/power gauge but it’s not needed in the Jazz.

• Approved Member
« Reply #141 on: September 30, 2021, 03:52:31 PM »
I should mention that I am currently running 10W-40 DIESEL oil in my petrol Jazz. It's thicker and is of course meant for diesel engines which also won't help fuel economy. I only realised after putting it in.

guest9814

« Reply #142 on: September 30, 2021, 05:21:01 PM »
An interesting journey - I have a regular 50 mile, 70mph journey in a fairly hilly area.

Normally I get around 52mpg if it’s clear and I’m mostly sitting with the ACC on.

Today I tried going at around 60mph or a bit less in ECON mode and with only very gentle acceleration.

I managed to get 61mpg, so an improvement of 9mpg.

It does show how efficient the car is to start with though, without having to drive differently at all. The heating wasn’t as effective in ECON mode too.

I see the HRV gets an eco/power gauge but it’s not needed in the Jazz.
Power gauge actually can help to drive more economical - you can see how much energy you use.
And using this power meter you can glide on flat road or on slope .
See technique pulse and glide, this technique works excellent on Toyota hybrids.
On Honda Jazz also work but need to sense car because we not have this power meter.
Can by added as I did but that not good to put tablet on dashboard.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #143 on: October 03, 2021, 10:17:33 PM »
Today a touristic trip of 257 km. (160 miles). Partly B roads (max 90 kmh / 56 mph) partly typical "touristic" roads with the same speed limit, but you hardly ever reach 70 kmh / 45 mph.
Beautiful weather, temperature visible in the pictures.

Picture 1 more or less halfway: 3.4 l/100 km. = 83.1 mpg
Picture 2 back home, more B roads: 3.6 l/100 km. = 78.5 mpg

Oh... by the way. All the trip was in B (didn't need ACC) and Econ.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 12:15:39 PM by Jazzik »
If nothing goes right, go left!

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #144 on: October 06, 2021, 07:19:39 AM »
Honda has now fixed the trip readings on the Honda+ app with todays update on apple - you get the correct mpg heading instead of mph.

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #145 on: October 06, 2021, 09:46:51 AM »
I just updated the Android version. Fuel consumption is now MPG, not MPH. I don't know if that's the only change.
Neil Ives

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #146 on: October 06, 2021, 10:39:03 AM »
Honda has now fixed the trip readings on the Honda+ app with todays update on apple - you get the correct mpg heading instead of mph.
Yes, Android is the same. However, the fuel consumed is still labelled as being in L when it's obviously in gallons.

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #147 on: October 06, 2021, 12:57:22 PM »
It would also be useful to have the miles travelled in the journey log.

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #148 on: October 06, 2021, 12:59:49 PM »
It would also be useful to have the miles travelled in the journey log.
That might be useful.
Neil Ives

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #149 on: October 06, 2021, 04:00:19 PM »
However, the fuel consumed is still labelled as being in L when it's obviously in gallons.

Patience... Suzuka wasn't built in one week either... ;D
If nothing goes right, go left!

Tags:

anything