Author Topic: MPG for those interested  (Read 144195 times)

Zaier

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Jazz e:HEV 2020 Executive
Re: MPG for those interested
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2021, 03:37:41 PM »
You're right, I was always used to km/l, the silly thing is that on Jazz it is not possible to switch from l/100km to km/l on the board computer, so I'm getting used to l/100km.

Fun fact EVs tend to use Wh/km or kWh/100km and not km/kWh.

Inviato dal mio LG-H815 utilizzando Tapatalk

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2021, 10:35:31 AM »
If an hybrid consumes 4.4 and a non hybrid consumes 1 l more it makes me wonder if hybrids are really worth it. And even in an non hybrid you can save fuel by changing the way you drive

This reminds me of a pub debate from a couple of years ago. My pal who has a 24 kwh Nissan Leaf, said he "didn't like hybrids" on environmental grounds. His argument was they were the worst of all worlds involving all the dodgy mining processes to produce lithium ion batteries whist still emitting harmful CO2. There was also the issue of plug in hybrids which he said were even worse if used as long distance company cars because most of the time they would be powered by petrol but fuel consumption would be hit by having to lug a heavy battery around.

I don't necessarily agree. I think hybrids are, generally, more efficient and, given they take off from a standing start in EV mode they must be better for air quality.

I wonder what the truth actually is.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2021, 04:25:09 PM »
If an hybrid consumes 4.4 and a non hybrid consumes 1 l more...
A non hybrid 1 (one?) liter more...?
Just a simple example. Our previous car was a Honda Jazz Comfort Plus CVT. Search on Spritmonitor the actual measured average fuel consumption over at least 10,000 km. of that model. That's 6.11 l/100 km.
https://www.spritmonitor.de/de/uebersicht/18-Honda/169-Jazz.html?fueltype=2&vehicletype=1&constyear_s=2011&constyear_e=2015&power_s=69&power_e=79&minkm=10000&page=5
Not bad...
And now the Jazz e:HEV, same measurement: 4,43 l/100 km.
https://www.spritmonitor.de/de/uebersicht/18-Honda/1293-Jazz_Hybrid.html?fueltype=10&vehicletype=1&constyear_s=2020&minkm=7500&gearing=3
Difference a little more than 1 liter, right? To be precise: The e:HEV consumes an average of every 100 km. 1.68 liters of liquid gold less than the non-hybrid.

One more example: Our Jazz Comfort Plus CVT 2013 (non-hybrid) had an average consumption of 6.66 l/100 km measured over 4 years.
Its successor, our Toyota Yaris Hybrid 2017 (I know... a different car...) used exactly the same way, also measured over 4 years, has an average consumption of 4.89 l/100 km.

The difference: 1,77 l/100 km.
If nothing goes right, go left!

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2021, 08:07:38 AM »
From what I can see Mercedes made diesel and petrol hybrid versions of the C and E class, plug in and non from 2015. They seem to make up about 20% of those for sale on AutoTrader. Also Peugeot and Citroen made diesel hybrids though they don't seem popular.

"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2021, 10:49:31 AM »
The problem with Diesels is still the emissions - which were laid bare by the 'cheat ' software scandal.  Long ago the Japanese said that as far as emissions were concerned Diesel was a 'dead end' technology.  The complicated and expensive equipment needed to reduce particulates and Nox emissions was becoming a lot of expense ( and regular servicing required £££'s ) for rapidly diminishing returns, + extra weight of diesel engines.  Neither VW or Audi feature in list of hybrids, and BMW only rarely... The Germans had firmly settled on Diesel,  and when diesels were 'outed' a few years ago decided to go straight to BEV and skip the hybrid bit..
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2021, 05:09:47 PM »
From what I can see Mercedes made diesel and petrol hybrid versions of the C and E class, plug in and non from 2015. They seem to make up about 20% of those for sale on AutoTrader. Also Peugeot and Citroen made diesel hybrids though they don't seem popular.
the first hybrids were sold in 1999/2000,  the Prius as we know it, became  mainstream in 2005/6,  Mercedes entered the market 10 years adrift of the Prius.
Mercedes self-reported secret collusion with other German  car makers, collusion between makers  to suppress or not introduce  technology that would reduce  exhaust pollution from vehicles,  the Courts have imposed fines on the car makers  for the illegal collusion, Mercedes  were exempt  from the fine for having self - reported the collusion
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 06:24:16 AM by E27006 »

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2003 Honda Jazz
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2021, 02:19:38 AM »
First refuelling 465 miles, 30.65 litres so 69.3 mpg (car claimed 73 mpg).

Second refuelling 515 miles, 32.90 litres so 71.2 mpg (car claimed 75.1 mpg).

The "fibometer" appears to be about 5% optimistic - nothing new there!
71 mpg? That is phenomenal.

I couldn’t even dream of such a figure. I have a  smile at 45mpg.

guest9814

« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2021, 11:54:42 AM »
First refuelling 465 miles, 30.65 litres so 69.3 mpg (car claimed 73 mpg).

Second refuelling 515 miles, 32.90 litres so 71.2 mpg (car claimed 75.1 mpg).

The "fibometer" appears to be about 5% optimistic - nothing new there!
71 mpg? That is phenomenal.

I couldn’t even dream of such a figure. I have a  smile at 45mpg.
If i not using climate control(only fan for ventilation using outside air) i can get around 90-100 MPG in town .
Climate control set to cooling greatly affects fuel economy in hot summer.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2021, 01:38:37 PM »
Because of my driving style, time of day, routes, I've always achieved more than the official figures.

In my current 1.8 torque converter auto Civic I'm averaging about 52mpg. The brochure combined is 44.8mpg

Same in my Lexus IS200, the official figure was 28 but I was averaging 32mpg.
Let's be careful out there !

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2021, 03:08:12 PM »
Because of my driving style, time of day, routes, I've always achieved more than the official figures.

In my current 1.8 torque converter auto Civic I'm averaging about 52mpg. The brochure combined is 44.8mpg

Same in my Lexus IS200, the official figure was 28 but I was averaging 32mpg.

Impressive - does Jocko have a challenger for his crown ;)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2021, 08:16:35 AM »
Having looked again at the way the Jazz hybrid works I doubt I will be in the top 10.

Under about 10mph it can be electric, then 10 to 30 it's a mix and match but over 30 it's primarily engine.

99% of my weekly journey is motorway and fast A roads.
Let's be careful out there !

Whiteshark

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk 4 jazz Hybrid EX Chrystal Red
« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2021, 11:42:07 AM »
As a new member, hello. The Jazz Hybrid we recently purchased belongs to my wife, who is the main driver. This is her 8th new Honda, all pretty faultless. However, I will probably drive more miles than her in it.
We part exchanged her Jazz Mk 3 Sport cvt, with 9k on the clock, really on my advice, because second hand car prices are very high, and we lost very little in depreciation.  She actually loved her Sport, but after driving this latest, I think she loves it more.
I have already driven it more, and I have to say I think it is an astonishing little vehicle.
To give some background, I drive a 2019 Mercedes S Class S400d, itself a brilliant car, and have just returned from driving 1372 miles to the Orkney Islands, so I do understand comfort and economy.
The day after we returned I took the Jazz to London and back in a day, some 485 miles, to collect an item, quite heavy, in order to give the Jazz some miles.
I filled up before and immediately after, and returned 63 mpg, with full aircon, motorway hold ups (many),  A roads,  and driving on acc at 70 mph. This is also a brand new car, 40 miles on the clock, and knowing Honda’s as I do, still very tight, so mpg will improve.
I am 6ft tall and I found the Jazz extremely comfortable to drive, with my only criticism being road noise on motorway at speed.
After watching the dash showing how it all works, which is pretty smart, I switched it off.
I have viewed many of the Video reviews, from motoring journalists and disagree with most, why do they love to put the Jazz down?.
In summary the Jazz ain’t cheap, and we invariably buy the EX , but we are both very happy, particularly the versatility, which will be put to good use on a family holiday where the space loading beats the Merc .
Clearly in this day and age, an electric car would have been more ideal, but lack of charging ability, plus cost put us off. I also would not have risked a London return, but taking everything into account, and the whole Jazz Hybrid package, for our needs, 5 year warranty, 5 year servicing…… just brilliant.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2021, 12:51:08 PM »
Having looked again at the way the Jazz hybrid works I doubt I will be in the top 10.

Your doubt is based on the way the Honda hybrid works? Whether the Jazz, with regard to fuel consumption, will be in the top 10, we will see in a while. But to give a first indication, which is based on too few cars to be reliable, here's a comparison between the "champion fuel-efficient hybrid", the new Toyota Yaris and the Jazz. This indication is based on data from "Spritmonitor" https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/ , measured over a minimum of 10,000 km. (just over 6200 miles).
The champion, the Yaris then has an average fuel consumption of 4.27 L/100 km (= 66.15 mpg) and the Jazz 4.44 L/100 km. (= 63.62 mpg).
Indeed, the Yaris shows (marginally) more economical, but as said: this is a first (unreliable) indication. In a year (or 2 years) we will get a more reliable picture.

Honda Jazz: https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/overview/18-Honda/1293-Jazz_Hybrid.html?fueltype=10&vehicletype=1&constyear_s=2020&minkm=10000&gearing=3

Toyota Yaris: https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/overview/49-Toyota/1287-Yaris_Hybrid.html?fueltype=10&vehicletype=1&constyear_s=2020&power_s=80&minkm=10000&gearing=3
If nothing goes right, go left!

jamjar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2021, 01:07:48 PM »

Under about 10mph it can be electric, then 10 to 30 it's a mix and match but over 30 it's primarily engine.

99% of my weekly journey is motorway and fast A roads.
As a new member, hello. The Jazz Hybrid we recently purchased belongs to my wife, who is the main driver. This is her 8th new Honda, all pretty faultless. However, I will probably drive more miles than her in it.
We part exchanged her Jazz Mk 3 Sport cvt, with 9k on the clock, really on my advice, because second hand car prices are very high, and we lost very little in depreciation.  She actually loved her Sport, but after driving this latest, I think she loves it more.
I have already driven it more, and I have to say I think it is an astonishing little vehicle.
To give some background, I drive a 2019 Mercedes S Class S400d, itself a brilliant car, and have just returned from driving 1372 miles to the Orkney Islands, so I do understand comfort and economy.
The day after we returned I took the Jazz to London and back in a day, some 485 miles, to collect an item, quite heavy, in order to give the Jazz some miles.
I filled up before and immediately after, and returned 63 mpg, with full aircon, motorway hold ups (many),  A roads,  and driving on acc at 70 mph. This is also a brand new car, 40 miles on the clock, and knowing Honda’s as I do, still very tight, so mpg will improve.
I am 6ft tall and I found the Jazz extremely comfortable to drive, with my only criticism being road noise on motorway at speed.
After watching the dash showing how it all works, which is pretty smart, I switched it off.
I have viewed many of the Video reviews, from motoring journalists and disagree with most, why do they love to put the Jazz down?.
In summary the Jazz ain’t cheap, and we invariably buy the EX , but we are both very happy, particularly the versatility, which will be put to good use on a family holiday where the space loading beats the Merc .
Clearly in this day and age, an electric car would have been more ideal, but lack of charging ability, plus cost put us off. I also would not have risked a London return, but taking everything into account, and the whole Jazz Hybrid package, for our needs, 5 year warranty, 5 year servicing…… just brilliant.
The warranty is 3 years. You have to pay to extend the warranty to 5 years.

equaliser

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2018 Honda Jazz 1.3 I-VTEC EX Navi CVT
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2021, 01:16:16 PM »
The warranty is 3 years. You have to pay to extend the warranty to 5 years.

All new Honda models have 5 year Honda Care, Servicing & Roadside Assistance at the moment - no extra payment.
https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/campaigns/five.html

Tags: