Author Topic: Honda Jazz Mk4 2020  (Read 267217 times)

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
Re: Honda Jazz Mk4 2020
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2020, 10:14:37 AM »
That's what I understand sparky. The CVT on a hybrid Yaris is like the CVT on the current or Mk2 Jazz - the ratios change. The new Jazz has nothing in common, in terms of transmission, with the Toyota set up as seen on all their hybrid cars. Honda claim it is a completely new concept in a small car and I think they are justified in doing so.
Definetly no.
The E-CVT in hybrid yaris is the same of all other toyota hybrids, only size and battery type change: the petrol engine is always linked to the wheels through an epicliclic gear called PSD, power split device, where each of the carriers has the ability to rotate in its own unique way, providing a wide range of power options. The “Ring” carrier is sometimes powered by the battery-pack to provide the ability to drive using only electricity (both forward & backward), allowing the engine to stop running to save gas. At other times, the “Ring” carrier creates power, regenerating electricity when you use the brakes. The “Planet” carrier is powered by the petrol engine, which causes rotation of both the car’s wheels (for driving forward) and the “Sun” carrier (for generating electricity). And while the
“Planet” & “Sun” carriers are spinning, the “Ring” carrier can join in to provide additional thrust to the wheels or to allow engine RPM to be reduced. Lastly, the “Sun” carrier is also used for starting the engine.  It's  a sort of
 asymmetrical differential, because about 70% of the petrol engine power goes to wheels, the other 30% is directed to a small electric machine working as a motor (in both directions) but also as a generator, depending from the ECU. The other bigger electric machine is directly connected tho wheels, but it's the small one, connected to the sun gear, that set the "ratio" between the petrol engine and the wheels. In some old pics you can see a sort of chain inside this device, but it's only a chain connecting the ring gear with the final drive.
So the whole system works as a belt CVT, even if there are no belts inside. The same for the Honda I-MMD, working as a belt CVT but without belts; so both belong to the CVT transmission family, using wires and no belts, and that's why we cannot say that the Honda system is the first ECVT in the small car segment: both toy and honda are E-CVT without belts and pulleys, and Toy already sells a small ecvt hybrid car.

EDIT This is a simulator of the Toyota PSD (open it in Firefox because Chrome will close flash), Mg1 is the small motogenerator, Mg2 is the main electric motor connected directly with the wheels, ICE is the petrol engine: you can see how the vehicle speed (MG2) changes not following ICE and MG1 and, keeping ICE fixed, how the speed changes by MG1.
http://eahart.com/prius/psd/
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 02:36:43 PM by jazzaro »

Jonnybananas

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid (2011)
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2020, 08:55:24 PM »
This may be old news but the new Honda Jazz Hybrid 21YM Owner's Manual seems to be available on the Honda website.

https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/manuals-and-guides/honda-owners-manuals.html

The Jazz in the photo on that page is still the old MK3 Jazz but looking at the 21YM Owner's Manual PDF it's definitely the new 2020 Jazz Hybrid.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2020, 08:39:48 AM »
Some points arising from a quick look through the manual:
  • 1. There's a tick box on the multimedia system warning screen to say don't show it again (P285)
    2. The auto main beam can be disabled
    3. Headlight activation by the wipers can be disabled
    4. When running in EV mode at low speed the vehicle makes some noise to warn pedestrians
    5. The remote for the keyless system can be turned off (P169)
    6. The light sensor is at the top of the windscreen so, I hope, will be less activated by shade from trees, etc.
    7. The sensor unit at the top of the windscreen appears to be smaller than on the Mk. 3
    8. There appears to be some form of graduated display for the parking sensors (P510) but it remains to be seen how good it is for indicating when there's only a few inches of gap
    9. There are two gloves boxes
    10. The maintenance schedule mentions changing the transmission fluid
    11. Most lights are LED but not the rear turn lights or reversing lights.
I've primarily looked to see if features on the Mk. 3 which have annoyed me have been fixed.

There is, as expected, nowhere for a spare wheel.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2020, 09:50:18 AM »
It seems that someone in Honda has been reading your comments John!

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2020, 03:54:57 PM »
Good link!
Page 547, this Jazz will have a gasoline particulate filter so the engine will use only  0W20 oil Acea C2 or C5.

JazzandJag

• Approved Member
  • HR-V eHEV delivered February 2022
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2020, 08:39:22 AM »
Configurator now live on the honda.co.uk website

Jonnybananas

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid (2011)
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2020, 12:16:42 PM »
Interesting… having checked the specs for the Jazz Crosstar EX there is no mention of 'Blind Spot Information incl. Cross Traffic Monitor' - it is only mentioned in the Jazz EX specs.  However, the information from the Honda UK Media Newsroom website states 'Blind Spot Information, complete with Cross Traffic Monitor is standard on Executive grades'

Hopefully it’s a typo in the specs and not a cost cutting exercise  :(

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2020, 07:03:53 PM »
I want a vehicle that's easy to find in a car park and the only colour which meets that requirement is Surf Blue.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2020, 09:30:41 PM »
But that is only available on the Crosstar.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2020, 09:46:26 PM »
But that is only available on the Crosstar.
True. Fortunately that's the version which most interests me as it claims to have a slightly higher ride height than the normal Jazz (one of the attractions of my current HR-V).

dfconnolly

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz e-HEV EX and 2019 CRV e-HEV SR
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2020, 03:07:40 AM »
There are two videos of the jazz on YouTube being inspected and then road tested in what looks like snowy Japan......

The driving footage lacks any commentary and there is a lot of road noise due to slushy conditions.

A few things apparent.

The engine sounds coarsec when the accelerator is floored.

The suspension appears to thud harshly over potholes

There are some annoying audible warning alarm sounds

Not sure if the indicator stalk is on the right? Maybe just a Japanese or Eastern territory thing

Happy viewing

Dave C
From the advert "Who knows where you’ll go?"

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2020, 09:33:05 AM »
Thanks for these links.  I notice the car is 4WD - appropriate for that snow!

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2020, 10:07:45 AM »
No upper cover for the luggage compartment, the capacity looks similar to the present generation, apart the little step near the rear seat.
Electric lock for the fuel door.
Many parts in common with the present generation, both in cabin and in engine compartment.
Still noisy wiper motor, especially with the engine not running.
I cannot evaluate the NVH, but the engine seems to be quite during normal driving.
I don'l like this steering wheel

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2020, 10:36:02 AM »
Looking at the dual image here https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/new/jazz-hybrid/overview.html and there does not appear to be any appreciable difference in height between the Jazz and the Crosstar.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2020, 12:08:55 PM »
Looking at the dual image here https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/new/jazz-hybrid/overview.html and there does not appear to be any appreciable difference in height between the Jazz and the Crosstar.
I think that whoever created that graphic was a bit lazy.

The detailed specs show that the Crosstar has slightly larger dimensions than the SE (I didn't check the others):
Length: 4090 vs 4044 mm (probably different plastic on front and back)
Width: 1725 vs 1694 mm (bits of plastic on the sides)
Height: 1556 vs 1526 mm
Ground clearance (driver only): 152 vs 136 mm

These numbers suggest that the suspension of the Crosstar is raised by 16mm. It's unclear if the overall height includes / excludes the roof rails. Could the rails be as low as 14mm above the normal roof? If the height doesn't include the rails then it's likely that the body (and the seats) are 30mm higher in the Crosstar than the normal Jazz.

Tags: news jazz 

anything