Author Topic: A new 'fault'?  (Read 4055 times)

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
A new 'fault'?
« on: December 28, 2017, 10:50:41 AM »
For the third time there's been a lengthy delay after pressing the start button before the car does anything. The first two times I was so surprised that I took my foot off the pedal and was rewarded by the 'press the brake pedal' icon. This morning I kept my foot on the brake but it was over a second before anything happened. I'll mention it at the service end of this month but was wondering if anyone else had encountered this?

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
Re: A new 'fault'?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 02:52:28 PM »
These over complicated CVT keyless systems are trouble waiting to happen. My car starts instantly first turn of the key with a foot on the clutch pedal. :-)

guest6131

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 03:23:36 PM »
Had to take my 2016 ex back to dealer yesterday, I have been having problems with the folding mirrors not opening, turns out the switch had to be replaced. So far so good.

andruec

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 04:34:11 PM »
Had to take my 2016 ex back to dealer yesterday, I have been having problems with the folding mirrors not opening, turns out the switch had to be replaced. So far so good.
That's interesting. I've already asked my dealer to check mine out at the service. I've had a a dozen occasions when the mirrors didn't unfold first time. It's random and rare but I don't want to wait until it fails completely.

FredS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 jazz EX Navi manual
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 11:26:29 PM »
I have a intermittent fault on the electric mirrors. Sometimes they do not respond to the switch. Last night while waiting at traffic lights the mirrors decided to fold in (this is the second time this has happened, the first while driving). It took several attempts to get them to respond to the switch and motor to the open position. On another occasion when the switch failed to respond the drivers window went fully down, on another occasion the passenger window opened slightly. I have reported this when the car went for its first service.  No fault found and suggested it might be me not pressing the switch until it latched. The car is due its 6 month happy honda free safety check soon. I will mention this to the dealer in a more forceful manner and let you know the response.
I have also had the car starting issue last winter but no problems so far this  winter.
Fred.

andruec

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 08:53:55 AM »
I have also had the car starting issue last winter but no problems so far this  winter.
Fred.
Well my usual winter poor starting hasn't materialised either but for clarity this fault is not the same. What's happening here is that the start button appears to do nothing at all when first pressed.

Normally with foot on the brake pedal a single press (almost just a tap) produces an immediate whining noise from behind the dash then the engine turns over and fires. It all happens in less than a second. My bad starts of previous winters just meant that the engine initially idled rough at very low revs for a second or else turned over for a second before firing.

But this issue is new. What's happening here is that when I press the button nothing at all happens at first. No whine, no lights on the dash. I'm wondering if perhaps the keyfob battery is getting low. I'd have hoped it'd last longer than two years though and I thought there was a warning light on the dash.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 08:57:58 AM by andruec »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 09:18:06 AM »
Perhaps the push button switch is a bit iffy. Try pushing it and turning it slightly, if that's possible. Could be a dirty contact.

andruec

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 11:51:51 AM »
Perhaps the push button switch is a bit iffy. Try pushing it and turning it slightly, if that's possible. Could be a dirty contact.
It could be but as it still doesn't need to be held down that doesn't quite fit. I don't think it will turn as that would rotate the writing on it. It just seems as if the security system is occasionally taking longer to recognise the fob.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2017, 12:52:58 PM »
Security part of fob is normally passive. It does not depend on fob battery to work (my key fob doesn't have a battery. Battery is only necessary for remote entry). Most cars I have had will turn over without the fob being recognised, they just won't start.

FredS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 jazz EX Navi manual
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 11:25:39 AM »
Have just spoken to a helpful man in service department of Honda dealer about intermittent folding mirror problem. He said he has replaced several mirror switches and booked the car in for Thursday 11th January to have the switch replaced and the happy honda safety check carried out.

Will let you know how I get on.

Fred

andruec

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 05:31:20 PM »
Security part of fob is normally passive. It does not depend on fob battery to work (my key fob doesn't have a battery. Battery is only necessary for remote entry). Most cars I have had will turn over without the fob being recognised, they just won't start.
Turns out the Jazz system does. As per page 552 of the manual. It happened again this morning and this time I got a chance to see the message properly. I thought it was showing the 'press the brake pedal when trying to start' but it isn't - that has three symbols (brake pedal, fob and start button). This message only has two symbols (brake and fob).

See also here. Can't say I'm very impressed if my keyfob battery is weak after less than two years. I have some spare CR2032s so can change it myself but I'm tempted to wind up my dealer a little by playing the warranty card :)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 08:14:34 PM by andruec »

andruec

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2018, 08:56:02 PM »
I remain sceptical. I've swapped the battery out (took all of a minute) and the one I took out still capable of outputting 2.95v which is only a drop of 0.5v from new. I wouldn't have thought that would bother it :-/

Tags: