Author Topic: Electric cars  (Read 697613 times)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: Electric cars
« Reply #1080 on: January 21, 2019, 02:48:50 PM »
About 18 months ago I was seriously considering buying an EV - almost certainly a Nissan Leaf - but the range issues were what put me off. I had had a handful of journeys - about 3 or 4 - in 2017 which would have been difficult in an EV. At the time the slightly higher range Nissan Leaf with a 30 kwh battery pack was out of my range.

I had a bit of a debate with a few people on SpeakEV in which I argued that it would only be a year or so before the 30 kwh Leaf became much more affordable. Several posters disagreed with me saying that demand was outstripping supply and that prices would at best stabilise and possibly even increase.

Hadn't looked at the market for some time but last week I did. A big franchise in the North West is Chorley Group. A year ago they had a steady supply - at any one time - of about 30 Leafs. This is now down to less than 10 and often lower than that. Not only that but prices have firmed up. So much so that a pal of mine has just sold his 24 kwh Nissan Leaf - which he has had for 2 years - for only £500 less than he paid for it and he has put 20,000 miles on the clock. Similar stories are common. Our local Nissan dealer tells me that they have a waiting list for second hand Leafs and that he hasn't had one is stock for 3 months.

I think the old heavy depreciation thing, which was certainly true, is now a thing of the past. Probably explains why Nissan are talking about £40,000 for their next generation Leaf with a 60 kwh battery and a plus 200 mile range. They can charge what they like. I guess EV's will be a niche product for a few years yet.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #1081 on: January 21, 2019, 03:00:24 PM »
Found this video on the new 60 kwh battery pack a little disturbing. Wonder if Nissan has learnt anything from "Chargegate"?

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #1082 on: January 26, 2019, 03:29:15 PM »
Saw this on TV today.  -- A man well ahead of his time.
"The "Witkar", or white car, was the world's first electric car-sharing scheme.

It was the brainchild of Dutch visionary, Luud Schimmelpennink, who came up with the innovative idea to tackle pollution on the streets of his native Amsterdam.

The first "Witkar" took to the roads in 1974, but it was way ahead of its time. "

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/stories-46277058/witkar-the-world-s-first-electric-car-sharing-scheme

When I looked it up on the internet I also found this. A scheme due to be introduced in London.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/new-bluecity-electric-car-sharing-scheme-launch-february

Does anybody know anything about this or has it been abandoned?

Seems like a great idea to me or are we too attached to the idea of owning our own piece of shiny/rusting metal?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 05:47:01 PM by JimSh »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1083 on: January 26, 2019, 07:02:01 PM »
The scheme they had in Paris wasn't success.

https://www.thelocal.fr/20180623/paris-autolib-slams-brakes-on-electric-car-sharing-scheme

Yesterday I was at a Fife Council office complex and was cheered to see the facilities for EV charging. The staff car park had a huge area for EV charging, which was not too surprising as they have a fleet of Leaf cars and e-NV200 vans. The visitors car park was the surprise though. It had a large area for visitors charging their EVs, the biggest I've seen anywhere.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1084 on: January 27, 2019, 12:17:17 PM »
Scotland ahead of the game here. Big area for charging EVs in central Dundee which locals say means that if you live in or near the city centre and don't have off road parking, an EV is still a viable proposition.

More generally though, and further to my post above, the charging situation isn't getting better fast enough. You get areas stuffed with rapid chargers - in Warrington, at the Gemini Retail Park there are 2 at M&S and 4 at IKEA next door. There's another one at a Nissan dealership and several slower chargers at leisure centres and the like.

So all well and good if you live in or near a big town or city but I went on to zap-map and the huge charge point desert that is the Peak district is still a chargepoint dessert. Same with huge areas of Wales and I gather Lincolnshire is pretty poor as well.

What people are latching on to though is that a short range EV makes an excellent second car.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #1085 on: January 27, 2019, 09:46:48 PM »
What people are latching on to though is that a short range EV makes an excellent second car.
Which, I assume, is the market the Honda Urban EV https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=10817.0 will be aiming for.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #1086 on: January 28, 2019, 11:32:26 AM »
Which, I assume, is the market the Honda Urban EV https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=10817.0 will be aiming for.

I would guess that most second cars will not be purchased new though, a second car will most likely be second hand, and I guess not many people will buy a short range BEV brand new,  so selling short range cars from new to get them into used car market may be the problem.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1087 on: January 28, 2019, 11:51:55 AM »
I would guess that most second cars will not be purchased new though, a second car will most likely be second hand, and I guess not many people will buy a short range BEV brand new,  so selling short range cars from new to get them into used car market may be the problem.
I have to agree with this. People buying a second car, and opting for a brand new EV, are well up the rich list!

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1088 on: January 28, 2019, 12:06:50 PM »
I have to agree with this. People buying a second car, and opting for a brand new EV, are well up the rich list!

Good points. I think the relative buoyancy of the market for used Nissan Leaf's proves this. A sharp belt of initial depreciation has been followed by a period of almost zero depreciation for second hand cars. The demand for EVs is there but not at current NEW prices.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1090 on: January 31, 2019, 07:07:11 AM »
Tesla has posted its second quarter in profit, albeit at a reduced profit. That should improve now that sales of the Model 3 in the EU and China are about to commence.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-47062146

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1091 on: February 15, 2019, 08:38:24 AM »
All electric and hybrid electric pickups could go a long way to aiding EV uptake in the US. GM, in particular, are keen on the idea. Rivian is an ideal way of outsourcing some of their research.
https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-rivian-electric-amazon-com-gm-exclusi/amazon-gm-in-talks-to-invest-in-electric-pickup-truck-maker-rivian-sources-idUKKCN1Q12PV

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1092 on: February 19, 2019, 09:20:16 AM »
Honda's statement of 19th February 2019.

Honda has today announced it will restructure its global manufacturing network. This restructure comes as Honda accelerates its commitment to electrified cars, in response to the unprecedented changes in the global automotive industry. The significant challenges of electrification will see Honda revise its global manufacturing operations, and focus activity in regions where it expects to have high production volumes.

As a result, Honda of the UK Manufacturing Ltd. has today informed employees of its proposal to close its Swindon vehicle manufacturing plant in the UK in 2021, at the end of the current model’s production lifecycle. The plant currently produces 150,000 cars per year, and employs approximately 3,500 people. Consultation activity will begin today with potentially affected employees.

The global restructure will also involve Honda’s automobile operations in Turkey. Honda Turkiye A.S. currently produces 38,000 units per year. The company will cease manufacturing current Civic sedan model in 2021 and intends to continue its business operations. Honda Turkiye A.S. will continue to hold constructive dialogue with Turkish stakeholders during this period.

Katsushi Inoue, Chief Officer for European Regional Operations, Honda Motor Co., Ltd., and President, Honda Motor Europe said; “In light of the unprecedented changes that are affecting our industry, it is vital that we accelerate our electrification strategy and restructure our global operations accordingly. As a result, we have had to take this difficult decision to consult our workforce on how we might prepare our manufacturing network for the future. This has not been taken lightly and we deeply regret how unsettling today’s announcement will be for our people.”

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1093 on: March 01, 2019, 08:17:37 AM »
Tesla are dropping the spec and the price of their Model 3 to a price, in the US, of £26,400. They will only be sold online by special order, the same as the Audi e tron. Wonder where Honda's EV will fit with that price point?

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-47410636

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1094 on: March 04, 2019, 03:04:46 PM »
Seat el-Born, due for the market in 2020 and built on the Volkswagen MEB platform. Looks good.

Tags: