Author Topic: Michelin Energy Savers  (Read 3396 times)

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
Re: Michelin Energy Savers
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2021, 02:04:24 PM »
Same AWD car with winters and all seasons

I've seen the first video before and that's what made me go for 4x Winters on my Jazz Mk2. What I would say about the second video - Winters vs All Seasons - is that clearly Winters will perform better. But I don't live in Canada so my compromise is less extreme. Plus I don't need a second set of wheels or be faffing around getting tyres changed over.

I think if I was putting in the huge mileage I used to do in my last job my choice would be a different one.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2021, 02:10:05 PM »
Great videos Culzean, well worth watching.

I think we had this discussion before and I did read reports supporting this theory but in my experience I would always fit the 'best' tyres to the driven wheels and in the case of FWD, those wheels also do most of the breaking.

Indeed we have, but there's no harm in restating the reason why you should always endeavour to run the best tyres on the back axle - front wheel understeer is far easier to control than rear wheel oversteer.

I think if I was putting in the huge mileage I used to do in my last job my choice would be a different one.

It's a good point. Some vehicles would wear out a set of tyres over a winter, for them it's a no-brainer.

Basil

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.2 S Mk2 - GG5 & 1.5 Sport Mk3 - GK5
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2021, 03:44:37 PM »
Yes great videos, you've convinced me, winters tyres are on a different level and shouldn't be mixed with other types.

Basil

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.2 S Mk2 - GG5 & 1.5 Sport Mk3 - GK5
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2021, 04:10:04 PM »
I worked for about 10 years in Brecon and one year a group of us arranged to go on an organised walk in the Brecon Beacons with a park ranger. Overnight we had heavy snow and several of the group didn't turn up but a few of us were able to get to the park entrance but no further because the conditions were so bad.

The park ranger came out to pick us up and take us into the park in a LR Defender which was fitted with winter tyres, I couldn't believe how fast he was able to drive through the snow and up and down the hills, it was almost like the snow didn't exist.

Watching those videos reminded me of that day.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2021, 05:06:45 PM »
I worked for about 10 years in Brecon and one year a group of us arranged to go on an organised walk in the Brecon Beacons with a park ranger. Overnight we had heavy snow and several of the group didn't turn up but a few of us were able to get to the park entrance but no further because the conditions were so bad.

The park ranger came out to pick us up and take us into the park in a LR Defender which was fitted with winter tyres, I couldn't believe how fast he was able to drive through the snow and up and down the hills, it was almost like the snow didn't exist.

Watching those videos reminded me of that day.

During the 'Beast from the East' in Feb 2018 we took the Jazz into Shropshire Hills ( with Nokian Winters ),  only things we saw moving were LR Defenders and tractors,  we did see a few 4X4 ( I suspect summer tyres ) stuck unable to get traction - wish I could have filmed drivers faces as a 'Jazz' went past.... such fun.  The only thing the Jazz was short of was ground clearance.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything