Author Topic: DASHBOARD WINDSCREEN REFLECTION ... best solution?  (Read 15877 times)

guest6055

DASHBOARD WINDSCREEN REFLECTION ... best solution?
« on: April 26, 2016, 01:59:35 PM »
Been out and about a lot on sunny days recently and find myself increasingly distracted by the dash reflection on the interior surface of the windscreen.

A little topic research reveals I'm not the only one that finds this a little annoying.

So, what are the current best solutions?

I seem to remember a non slip mat being available for car dashboards, think it came in matt black and should therefore be non reflective.
Anyone know if such matts are still about? Heading out myself on a bit of a search. 8)

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
Re: DASHBOARD WINDSCREEN REFLECTION ... best solution?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 02:03:55 PM »
I have tried various things, but settled on polarising clip-ons for my glasses. When not in use it clips to the sun visor very neatly. If you don't wear glasses, then obviously polarising sunglasses would do the same.

Cloths and pads work, but not as well, and are untidy. I thought about painting the dash with matt black paint, but felt that was going too far.

These clip-ons were recommended in a parallel thread in the Mark 3 section

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Polarized-UV-400-Lenses-Clip-on-Flip-up-Brown-Gray-Green-Yellow-Sunglasses-/181357365913?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 02:07:35 PM by mikebore »

guest4871

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 02:59:02 PM »
+1

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT

mikebore

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 04:21:15 PM »
Found this US site and looks the business http://www.dashboardantiglaremat.com/home.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFxZhoEYpUU

Thanks for that....worth a try as I don't want to wear the clipons all the time.

That ship to UK and  I have ordered one.

ColinS

• Approved Member

mikebore

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 04:37:06 PM »
Guess you are following the parallel but longer discussion on the same topic in the Mk 3 section:

http://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=8019.0

mikebore

• Approved Member

ColinS

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2016, 04:55:22 PM »
Yes I am participating in the MK3 thread.  Please let me know how you get on with the one you have ordered.  If it is good I will also give it a try.

mikebore

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2016, 05:02:18 PM »
Will do, but it said 4-6 week delivery due high demand.

guest6055

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2016, 08:30:39 AM »
Thanks for the replies, will consider the options.

Popped into Specsavers, discovered l can get polarised prescription sunglasses ..... didn't know that. I have ordered a pair and will report back when they arrive.

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2016, 11:33:36 AM »
We too noticed the reflection on sunny days, my Wife bought me a pair of prescription varifocals with a grey tint     ( max allowed for night driving) and I must admit the reflection has all but gone. I also noticed that although I normally use my ordinary varifocals if there is the slightest bit of brightness the tinted ones really bring relief to my eyes. I would recommend this action. Incidentally, I have posted this before, when this problem with reflection was brought up with Specsavers, the Optometrist did comment that other makes of cars were causing the same problem and I know a report was put in to their head office.
However, I did buy some matt black honeycomb self sticking mat. The stuff that has sticky properties without adhesive BUT I am a bit of a coward as it will need cutting carefully to get around the contours of the dash.
I really must get of my b*m and do it.

edam

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 1.3 SE CVT
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2016, 12:20:23 PM »
Thanks for the replies, will consider the options.

Popped into Specsavers, discovered l can get polarised prescription sunglasses ..... didn't know that. I have ordered a pair and will report back when they arrive.

I have Specsavers polaroid prescription sunglasses and they will definitely work but I'm not keen on driving in sunglasses.
As the glasses are a older prescription I am getting some new ones but mainly for fishing.

mikebore

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2016, 07:16:59 PM »
Yes I am participating in the MK3 thread.  Please let me know how you get on with the one you have ordered.  If it is good I will also give it a try.

Vendor contacted me to say postage to UK will make total $33.45.....just a bit more than I want to pay for an alternative possible maybe solution. So I have cancelled.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 07:25:16 PM by mikebore »

Tags: