Author Topic: Hand operated controls  (Read 4176 times)

guest3895

Hand operated controls
« on: April 01, 2014, 07:34:12 PM »
Having struggled somewhat for some time with my disability (spinal column damage - little or no feeling in both feet) I have decided to have my 2013 1.4 EX CVT jazz fitted with 'Alfred Bekker' acceleration and brake hand controls. This consists of a single control handle just below the steering wheel, fitted to the pedals via control rods - pull the handle to accelerate, push the handle to brake. The pedals can still be operated by a non-disabled person, so my wife will still be able to drive the car.

I know that it is very unlikely, but has any forum members any experience of these controls? If so, I would be very interested to hear of their experiences. Thanks.

UncleZen

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009, 1.2SE A/C i-Vtec
Re: Hand operated controls
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 01:41:43 PM »
Ive driven several cars fitted with the hand controls you describe. My mate is in a wheelchair and has to use them.
They are easy to get used to and I prefer them to using my feet!

guest3895

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 03:10:53 PM »
Thanks UncleZen, that has given me confidence that I have made the right decision. The modification is being carried out on Tuesday and I will post my experiences of it a few days after. I live in the South East but I have a lot of family in the North West - hopefully I will be able to make the long drive up t'north with the new controls.

guest3895

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 05:43:49 PM »
I had the hand controls fitted last Tuesday, they are 'Jeff Gosling' controls rather than the 'Alfred Bekker' ones I had expected, but I am very satisfied with them - a very tidy job. I have a single handle just below the steering wheel - pull it up to accelerate and push it down to brake. It felt a bit strange after over 50 years of driving using foot pedals, but I am getting the hang of it and I am more confident each time I go out.

I phoned my Insurance Company and told them, but they advised me that they don't consider it to be a 'modification' and so my premium will not be increased. The best bit is that my wife can still drive the car using the pedals and is not put off by the manual handle moving up and down as she moves from accelerator to brake. The cruise control feature of the car, which I use a lot is, thankfully, unaffected by the new controls. The controls were fitted, at my house, by 'Ace Car Conversions'. Here is a picture of the new control :-

I am a very happy bunny as I will now be able to drive long distances. I had thought that I might have to give up driving, which I would have found very difficult. My thanks to UncleZen on this forum for his encouragement.

UncleZen

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009, 1.2SE A/C i-Vtec
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 01:34:43 PM »
Thanks! :)
Just one thing, whoever drives and uses the foot pedals, may find that their knees may touch the linkage.
Thats what I always found. But then I have long legs.

guest3895

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 04:46:37 PM »
That is the one thing that I was really worried about. However, my wife has driven the car a few times and has had no problems with the modifications at all. She is only about 4 ft 11 inches tall, so maybe that helps. The only thing she did not like was the ball on the steering wheel, but this is removed at the press of a button, so no problem. If I hadn't had the hand controls fitted I think I would have had to give up driving which would not have been good as we live in quite a remote location. Additionally, my wife has had corneal transplants in both eyes and, whilst she has been cleared for daylight driving by her surgeon and optician, she is not allowed to drive at night. She is also not too happy driving on Motorways and we pretty much have to use the dreaded M25 if we are driving any distance.

Tags:

anything