Author Topic: Window wipers  (Read 18033 times)

Pugsley

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2017 JAZZ EX NAVI I-VTEC
Window wipers
« on: March 28, 2014, 07:26:12 AM »
At the last service for my Jazz last week the mechanic reported that my front wipers were smeary and the back one was split. Rather than pay Honda prices for replacement, I said thanks for the info and trotted off to my local Halfords..........big mistake!!  I had a choice of Bosch or Halfords own only they didn't have Bosch ones to fit my 2012 Jazz. Duly picked up the Halfords front set and rear wiper and trotted off to the till. Cost?  £48, ouch.  Is everyone paying this price, I doubt it and I really don't know why I did.  So, any suggestions for next time and where from please would be gratefully accepted.   By the way, I had never had to replace before so I didn't have a bench mark.

guest4324

Re: Window wipers
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 07:52:42 AM »
If you search on ebay on car parts you can select your vehicle and then select windscreen wipers, you then have a massive choice of known or unknown brands. Bosch full set tends to be around £20 and cheaper makes between £10 - £15.

Garyman

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 ES
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 11:36:00 AM »
Fail  ;D

Sometimes (although rarely) its better to just use your local dealer

guest1393

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 12:22:53 PM »
Hi there,

In the past have twice bought wipers from Halfords (have 2 x Jazz).  False economy, not only don't they last as long they are inferior to the ones from my local Honda dealership (Hepworths in Huddersfield).

At timesyou get what you pay for.

All the best,

Andrew

Pugsley

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 02:44:15 PM »
Thanks all for the responses.  Next time I will check with my local Honda dealer first and then trawl the web. You have confirmed than Halfords are over-priced for what they sell.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 02:55:43 PM »
Pretty sure Honda do a fixed price job under the Honda Happiness banner - £25 I think - cheaper than Halfords.

Got a rear off Ebay for £6 to replace a split one. Seems OK

rayray

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2009 Jazz 1.4EX
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 04:32:59 PM »
On 2 occasions, I've bought replacement rear wipers from here:

http://www.hondadirectparts.co.uk/categories/Honda-Jazz/Jazz-2009%252d/

I paid £14.65 for the wiper and next day delivery.

Good luck on finding something suitable. :)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 08:55:35 AM »
Halfords do sell replacement wiper blade insert rubbers (no frame)  which can be cut to length and slipped into rear wiper blade holder,  have used them several times when I had a Jazz and also for my wifes jazz.   Rear wipers are often 'dealer only' items,  but with a bit of ingenuity no problem.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest4220

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 06:15:39 PM »
my rear wiper blade fell apart - went to Halfords to be told Honda only  - went to an independent who fitted me up with a pack of two inserts to fit into the wiper arm for the cost of £5.99 my only problem now is my rear washer has stopped working

guest3190

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 12:11:13 AM »
Hi

I have recently replaced my front wipers on my 2009 jazz with Honda Jazz BOSCH Aerotwin Front Wiper Blades Flat Windscreen ID30358, they are great and come in at just under 20 pounds if you purchase them on Ebay. Very easy to fit. Part Number   AR26U + AR13U Sizes (Inch)   26" + 13"

Halfords sell the rear wiper for a Jazz complete, and its an easy fit. The rear wiper rubbers always break off so you have to be careful that you check them at reguar intervals so you dont end up with a scored rear windscreen :)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 07:06:19 AM »
my rear wiper blade fell apart - went to Halfords to be told Honda only  - went to an independent who fitted me up with a pack of two inserts to fit into the wiper arm for the cost of £5.99 my only problem now is my rear washer has stopped working

can you hear a whirring sound when trying to wash rear screen, if you can it would seem pump is working (washer bottle and front and rear pumps can be accessed by taking front RH side under-arch guarding off), I had trouble with the non-return valve on rear washer on my Jazz.  Open the tailgate and look in centre of the top of tailgate aperture where tube comes out of body into tailgate,  normally if non-return valve is stuck open the pump has to run for 10 to 20 seconds before any liquid comes out of spray because liquid has drained back into bottle and pipe is empty.  Valve can also stick closed, in which case nothing will ever come out.  You can try blowing back through spray nozzle.  I had to fit another inline valve (halfords about £2) to make mine work.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest4512

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 08:20:25 PM »
Got a pair of front ones from Amazon seller, total cost?

£7 delivered for the pair - similar to Bosch Aero, so far so good

Pugsley

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 08:31:25 PM »
Fail  ;D

Sometimes (although rarely) its better to just use your local dealer

I dropped into my local Honda dealer today to get a door seal replaced. After we had done the business I asked the service manager how much it would be to replace both front and rear wipers for my Jazz...................£36 he replied, £13 cheaper than Halfords, that will teach me!!

guest1272

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2014, 07:28:34 PM »
Yep - £12 per wiper for the Jazz from Honda (2 at the front and 1 rear for £36 total).

When I wanted a replacement, I also went to halfords first and found that:
  • Halfords were overpriced and looked like cheap crap compared to the OEM Honda ones
  • Bosch was overpriced and looked no better than the OEM Honda ones either

Even those "aeroblade" ones look a bit cheap and flimsy to me and definitely not better looking than OEM.
In fact, the Honda ones are actually profiled/sculpted correctly with the "spine" looking much better than 3rd party offerings (seamless hinges for one).
So far, my front large wiper lasted 4 years (just replaced) and the small front and rear both lasted 3 years so I'm going to stick with OEM myself.

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2014, 08:26:09 PM »
I use blind spot mirrors on my tuition car (Jazz) and a pupil asked where she could get some, Halfords, 2 small mirrors £16 >:(, on Ebay £4 delivered ;D.

Tags:

anything