Author Topic: Rust  (Read 10313 times)

guest3384

Rust
« on: July 20, 2013, 04:46:00 PM »
Just washed the car ,and noticed rust is appearing all the way across the bottom of the rear tailgate.. the car is 21 days out of warranty.. is it worth contacting honda? surely a 3 year old car shouldn't start to go rusty. ???

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: Rust
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 06:06:05 PM »
I would certainly try. It must have been there within the warranty period. Was the car recently serviced by your local Honda? They should have noticed.

John
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

guest3384

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 07:00:44 PM »
It was serviced but not by Honda.
 I think I will contact Honda UK on Monday, I'd taken it in to Lookers today to see about p/ex for a new Honda, but not convinced on the long life now  :( :(

guest3735

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 09:20:35 PM »
don't know what the anti perforation warranty is.... but it's more than three years. go to honda and see what they say. can't lose anything by doing so....

on another note, the only rust on mine is the top edge of the rear door, offside. seems a strange place to start.... but there we go. trapped rainwater under the door seal perhaps? will have a look at some stuff to paint over it and convert it.....

csp

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Average 63 mpg
  • My Honda: Platinum White Jazz e:HEV SR 2020
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 10:36:09 AM »
It looks like Honda have a painted surface corrosion warranty of 3 years and structural corrosion warranty of 12 years. I am surprised that the pained surfaces are only warranted for only 3 years. See link below

http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/you-and-your-car/warranty/

It looks like several other manufacturers only cover painted surface corrosion for 3 years.

I would still take it up with the dealer though.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 05:03:59 PM »
Just had a look at the warranty as posted by csp above. How do you establish whether the rust started from the surface inwards or from the inside to the surface? it's a moot point certainly and I would be pressing for Honda to do the decent thing, at the very least a "goodwill" repair of the tailgate.

guest3384

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 05:48:27 PM »
Just had a look at the warranty as posted by csp above. How do you establish whether the rust started from the surface inwards or from the inside to the surface? it's a moot point certainly and I would be pressing for Honda to do the decent thing, at the very least a "goodwill" repair of the tailgate.
Yes.. i could understand if it was just a speck or a an inch sized piece! but this runs all the way across the bottom of the tailgate. will contact honda tomorrow and see what they say.

uovouvou

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX with Premium Pack
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 10:58:55 PM »
Just washed the car ,and noticed rust is appearing all the way across the bottom of the rear tailgate.. the car is 21 days out of warranty.. is it worth contacting honda? surely a 3 year old car shouldn't start to go rusty. ???

My Jazz (early 2009) appears to have two tiny rust marks at the bottom of the tailgate too.  They've been like that a year now and haven't got any worse thankfully.  There are also loads of stone chips on the bonnet which I never noticed (mainly due to the car being silver).  The paint finish is lovely and glossy and well applied, but it doesn't seem tough enough - It's no doubt painted in water based paints.

I presume that the Jazz is galvanised, although I don't think that cars nowadays are as well galvanised as they used to be, that's for sure.

The best quality paint finishes I've ever come across on a car were on my old mark 1 2002 CR-V and my girlfriend's 2003 Wagon R.  Both were shiny, tough and never rusted, even after ten years.

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 07:28:28 AM »
Most rust appears from the inside out, usually caused by trapped moisture in mud which does not get a chance to dry out.  However, with the great care that is made to dip and penetrate and especially hidden areas when the car is built, the surface must have been compromised at some point to allow the ingress of water. Sometimes that can be a stress fracture, like at the top of the tailgate where the hings is attached to the tailgate itself.

A 1984 Ballade that I sold to a friend is still being used today and has no rust.  However, I have seen similar age Ballades dripping with rust, so you get good ones and bad ones.
If music be the food of love, play on

guest2853

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 10:56:30 AM »
Same problem on mine.
I did complain and Honda repainted the car.
See my thread written last summer.

Now after some months some rust points are beginning to appear again. I simply believe that Honda is saving money on paint! All the rest is great, but paint is terrible. My car will be all rusty by the the age of 7.
Moreover the Honda service where I bought it has run out of business and is now closed.  >:(

guest3384

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 12:15:26 PM »
Update....I took it into lookers honda, two guys looked at it.. rubbed their chins, scratched their heads.. and said...."The tailgate looks as though its been replaced, must have been in some sort of accident, and the previous owner must have had an after market tailgate fitted, because the paint is too smooth on the inside to be honda" :o...well, i bought the car at two years old, i did manage to get the old owners address, and after speaking with him has assured me that no way has the tailgate been changed.
Looks like i will be paying for the repair myself. >:(

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2013, 12:58:09 PM »
Please return to the dealer explain the facts , you need the sales manger then ask him/her to repair your car via Honda goodwill - adding you are Honda Jazz forum member and wait for the reaction...
You can insist the dealership measures the paint depth on the car - ask for measurements on roof bonnet doors and rear hatch  - there should be little or no variation. If resprayed the paint thickness will show up.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 04:20:32 PM by olduser1 »

Tags: