Author Topic: Quick Detailing products  (Read 11717 times)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Quick Detailing products
« on: June 23, 2013, 12:08:55 PM »
I, personally, have never used a Quick Detailer but they are seen as a good way of topping up any protection you already have on the car. Has anybody here given them a go and, if so, which ones would they recommend?

guest4621

Re: Quick Detailing products
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 09:29:18 AM »
**Warning 'Necro-post'**

I use Autobrite Direct's Berry Blast - It's a quick detailer, clay bar lubricant & Waterless wash in one. I'm not sure I'd use it as a waterless wash though.

For inbetween wax washes I usually go:

Snow foam, wash off, wax friendly shampoo, wash off, detailer, wash off & towel dry. Then dress wheels, tyres, trim and windows after.

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 06:13:01 PM »
Can you explain to people who do not know what a clay bar and snow foam do?  Also, what do you dress the windows with?
If music be the food of love, play on

guest4621

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 10:52:07 AM »
No problem Chrisc

Every 2-3 month's i'll do the following....

I hose the car with water first, to dampen it up, then get rest of kit out.. pressure washer, buckets, etc.

Then I use a snow foam lance - it's a pressure washer attachment that mixes a foaming detergent with the water. The water/detergent foams as it is mixed together and leaves a 1-2inch foam layer on the car to lift of dirt before washing. After a few mins the foam starts dying down an slides off the car with the dirt.

http://www.autobritedirect.co.uk/index.php/exterior-cleaning/autobrite-direct-snow-foam-lance/autobrite-heavy-duty-foam-lance-various-connectors.html

That's the one I use, they're local to me and have pretty good reviews.

I'll jet wash the remaining foam off after a few mins and then shampoo the car with a wash mitt, followed by another jet wash off.

Quick spray of tar/glue remover around lower panels, wait a few mins, quick wipe over with a microfibre cloth... followed by another jet wash off...

Then onto the clay bar.. Its basically a bar of hardish clay that you run along the car body panels to pick up / remove surface debris that is still stuck into or on the paintwork - tough tar / ingrained debris / tree sap / insects / etc. The paintwork has to be wet/lubricated to prevent scrathes or smearing the clay on the paint. I use a multi purpose quick detailer / lubricant to save buying multiple cleaning products. There are quite a few good vids on youtube of how to use it :D

http://www.autobritedirect.co.uk/index.php/heavy-grade-elastic-cleaner-clay-bar-200g.html

with...

http://www.autobritedirect.co.uk/index.php/berry-blast-quick-detailing-spray.html

Another quick jet wash followed by another shampoo the with a wash mitt, followed by another jet wash off - to get any clay smears off...

Then towel dry and apply wax / sealer.

I dress the window glass with Rainx, its not too shabby and the £5 bottle lasts me a year or two applying it once every couple of weeks. For the rubber / plastic seals and tyre dressing I use:

http://www.autobritedirect.co.uk/index.php/berry-blast-endurance-trim-tyre-gel-1.html

For a quick weekly wash, inbetween detailing / waxing:

Snow foam, wash, shampoo, wash, quick detailer, dry off and then apply dressings.

Rob

peteo48

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 05:36:52 PM »
Comprehensive routine R4.

Since I started the thread I have acquired some Autoglym Rapid Detailer which I have now started using after washing. I must admit I like the stuff and it does seem to prolong any protective wax or sealant you may have applied. I gave my car a pre winter polish with Autoglym Super Resin Polish (an all in one product that has mild cleaning properties whilst adding a layer of wax), topped that off with Autoglym Gloss Protection and my paintwork is still beading after a shower and I think this is largely down to the Rapid Detailer effectively topping up the protection. It's so easy to use as well.

guest4621

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 08:36:09 PM »
Comprehensive routine R4.

Since I started the thread I have acquired some Autoglym Rapid Detailer which I have now started using after washing. I must admit I like the stuff and it does seem to prolong any protective wax or sealant you may have applied. I gave my car a pre winter polish with Autoglym Super Resin Polish (an all in one product that has mild cleaning properties whilst adding a layer of wax), topped that off with Autoglym Gloss Protection and my paintwork is still beading after a shower and I think this is largely down to the Rapid Detailer effectively topping up the protection. It's so easy to use as well.

Thank you peteo48 - sorry for ressurecting your thread. I was browsing for tips on cleaning thw Jazz, as im a new owner, and saw your post.  Glad you've found a quick detailer an you're finding it handy. My friend has a champ white Type R.. and OCD.. so some of his wash routine is rubbing off on me!
Ill take a look at the autoglym next time I top up - still working through the 5l containers from my local!

guest4621

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 08:38:55 PM »
Chrisc - snowfoam pic!

lexi

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 i shift V TEC
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 09:37:48 AM »

Are you getting a good finish on car?  I don't think much of the paint on black Honda Jazz I have.

Waterbase paints are not great.

guest4621

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 11:48:16 AM »

Are you getting a good finish on car?  I don't think much of the paint on black Honda Jazz I have.

Waterbase paints are not great.

It's not the best paint is it? I wouldnt dare anything too harsh on the paint, no abrasives. With a DA polisher i wouldn't use anything more than finishing pads and glaze or wax.

This is a pic after Bank holiday fridays clean :-)

lexi

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 09:13:26 PM »

Nice work!   I will need to do something.
   Looking carefully I think the little wifey who had the car from new has put it though the car wash machine.
     The swirls are there and a cloudy/patchy oxidisation.  I mean it only has 6k on it but wasn't garaged.

Can you recommend a procedure and stuff.   By the way.......is it true all detailers have OCD?   ;D

guest4621

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 09:40:41 AM »
I've only just had mine, and its a '59 plate. It didn't look like it'd seen wax all it's life :-(  This was taken after 3rd full clean and it's finally starting to look better. No beading at all, even after being valeted by the dealer!

I dunno about OCD, I don't think I'm particularly bad.... at least not compared to my friend who goes to a lot of car shows with his motor... ;)

I've been using Poorboys Black Magic glaze to clear and fill the swirl marks, it's for black / dark cars really (I have a blue Jazz - but my previous and my missus car were black so have half a bottle left over!) It's pretty good stuff, smells nice - applied by hand. It's dark grey and clouds into a kind of chalky coat when dry. it takes some getting off though!!! I then apply a carnauba based wax after to re-protect the paint

A few people I know really rate Autobrite Direct's Cherry Glaze & Project 32 for a glaze/wax/sealeant combo to fill/hide swirls. I've not tried it yet, but it will be my next purchase once my Poorboys runs out. I'd probably wax inbetween the two as well xD

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 05:33:41 PM »
Thanks for all this info.  I must say it is very rewarding if you can get your paint finish to look as good as this.  There are some similar products available in SA, but the foam wash is new to me.  There is a cleaning chemical factory near to me and he mentioned a "pre-cleaner" which you use with a high-pressure washer, so I'll give it a go after speaking to him.

A friend sells "Golden Products" which sounds similar to the AVON Lady concept and they also have a range of car-care products
If music be the food of love, play on

lexi

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 06:00:46 PM »

I will get the poor boys. Thanks.

Tags: