Author Topic: Automatic Gearbox Issues...  (Read 3914 times)

Jaazy_H1

• Approved Member
Automatic Gearbox Issues...
« on: June 19, 2012, 01:46:41 AM »
I drive a 06 automatic Jazz. It has circa 60k miles on the clock and is currently due for its annual service. Until last year, this car has always been serviced at a main dealer and also had a gear box oil change. Since the last few days, the car judders while accelerating and this behaviour is occasional. Reckon, I still have my extended warranty valid and thus will get is serviced at a main dealer and I am writing to understand if anyone has had similar problems and what is the recommended solution?

Should I pay for another gearbox oil change? (when is not cheap in & around London)

Or

Does this mean the end of my gearbox?

Thanks for your time and in anticipation of your response!

Lunacide

• Approved Member
  • BRIGHT & SHINEY :D
  • My Jazz: 2002 1.4i SE M/T
Re: Automatic Gearbox Issues...
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 07:38:19 AM »
legend of the ERG valve perhaps?

um since other people will more than likely ask this - is it all the time while accelerating or only some of the time? is it ok at a constant speed? have you checked all your fluids? (probably some other questions people will have too, but these will likely need answered)
...The heart reveals what smiles betray...

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Jazz: 2011 ES CVT
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 05:02:08 PM »
If the judder only happens as you move away from stationary it is likely to be the starter clutch within the gearbox, this is a known problem. If you have always had the car serviced by a main dealer they should be able to help you. I have heard that Honda will consider replacement at no charge to the customer up to 7 years old depending on service record.

ron1902

• Approved Member
  • My Jazz: 2004 1.4i sport - dsi auto
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 10:23:01 AM »
had similar problem with mine on 54 plate.  clutch starter replaced when i bought the car. 4 years later judder when setting off.  had gearbox oil changed and this cured the fault.  have they used the correct fluid

Jaazy_H1

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 06:22:36 PM »
It is a irractic and only happens when in motion i.e. not a problem with starting. It is a problem when accelerating possibly changing from 2nd gear into 3rd?

The oil used was the one for CVT gearbox but I presume I need to double check. Will call Chiswick Honda again.

Thanks for your replies till date - keep them coming the history might help someone in future as well!!

dfconnolly

• Approved Member
  • My Jazz: 2011 JAZZ HS HYBRID. 2005 SE CVT-7
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 07:39:22 PM »
Hello Jaazy_H1
This definitely sounds like the start-up clutch as I had the same problem with my last SE CVT-7 on a ’06 plate at 33,167 miles. It is a known fault on the Jazz due to a design fault in the mechanism and/or CVT-fluid – Honda have modified both.
Fault manifests itself as a faint judder / vibration when starting off lasting only a few seconds at about 15-25mph. This took a bit of messing about with the dealer to get the problem sorted.
First, they did a CVT gearbox flush and fluid change [4 Nov 2011], I then had to take the car away and return it after 200 miles [23 Nov 201] for them to re-check whether the fault had cleared; they confirmed that the slight vibration was still present.
I then had to return the car for a third visit [30 Nov 2011] for the dealer to replace the start-up clutch which they did within a day (impressed with this as it is quite a big job – strip down/re-build)
ALL THIS WAS DONE FREE OF CHARGE & TREATED AS A WARRANTY CLAIM..........at that time!

Apparently, this fault with the jazz cvt gearbox has a warranty extension applied to it by Honda giving 7yrs or 100k whichever comes first, this is covered in a Technical Service Bulletin [Number: HUK000000001117] which clarifies the situation, ALL CVT-7 jazz`s with chassis build code GD1 from 02,03,04,05,06 are included in this extended warranty, it covers as a first measure flushing the gearbox & if that doesn’t work then replacement of the clutch with the modified version.

Footnote: I also had problems with the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valves on a ’52 plate Sport CVT-7 and the later 06 car but this manifests itself differently with a “chugging” noise on cold start ups (particularly prominent in winter after standing overnight on the older car). On the newer ’06 car the engine developed an erratic jerkiness; this is distinctly different to the start –up clutch fault which is consistent each time you move off from standstill. Both replaced FOC under warranty.
Bottom Line: Get it into the dealer for appraisal but expect a few visits to get the clutch replaced FOC!
"Preapred to take whatever life throws at you!"
Dave C

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Jazz: 2011 ES CVT
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 05:09:15 PM »
When I select 'Drive' in my 2006 Jazz CVT there is a noticeable delay, especially first thing in the morning, before the gear engage. This is a normal with the GD CVT box. I would like to know if this characteristic is present in the current Jazz CVT that now has a torque converter in place of the starter clutch.

Jaazy_H1

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 09:35:57 AM »
An update from my end - Honda replaced the starter clutch under warranty but the 'gear slip' is prominient now and only happens when I try to 'rev' the car up i.e. starting from a red light, trying to get onto the motorway from the slip road. It does appear to slip a gear and then settle down properly.

PS: The starter clutch issue took longer for Honda to fix and took several visits to the dealer but it is done and all under warranty, so thank you - Honda.

Would another flush help? Is it the problem with the EGR value?