Author Topic: cleaning around rear light clusters  (Read 9496 times)

guest5079

cleaning around rear light clusters
« on: March 19, 2017, 02:14:19 PM »
Living in a high rainfall area, we get a lot of slime/ moss around the trim.
This I can remove with a tooth brush when I wash the car. The problem is the rear light clusters, a toothbrush cannot get under the gap between light and body work any suggestions? I would rather not have to take the lights out of the bodywork in order to clean them.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: cleaning around rear light clusters
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 02:57:27 PM »
I use a car washing brush and the edge of this gets into the smallest gaps to clean out the hidden crud.

Vic.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 03:27:04 PM »
I use Polish people, they never fail to get everything clean.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 07:07:50 PM »
I add vinegar to my wash. Prevents any growths on car and keep paint sparkling - and it is cheap (ex pickled onion jars)

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 08:16:45 PM »
Normally a high pressure jet wash can get into areas like that where mould/moss can accumulate.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 08:26:34 AM »
Normally a high pressure jet wash can get into areas like that where mould/moss can accumulate.

Using a high pressure wash can also blast past gaskets around lamp clusters and cause more problems like taking the paint off, if you would not use sandpaper on your car don't use a high pressure jet wash,  normal garden hose pressure is perfectly fine for washing cars - high pressure water jets are used for cutting steel in industry.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

jonathan

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4SE
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 08:36:45 AM »
Culzean,

I agree I've seen what high pressure water can do a car in the wrong hands/wrong method on a Volvo on new "Top Gear"..... :D.

It takes a new meaning to vehicle sign writing!!!

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 12:05:36 PM »
I use a small brush, makeup or paint art brush in those tiny areas.
Use a strong APC/water or vinegar/water solution, soak and brush, and repeat until the green algae has gone. Rinse thoroughly with the water hose.

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 11:42:25 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will pass on the pressure hose if it can shift stuck on Cornish underseal it ain't going to do my paintwork much good.
One question for  Jazzway what is APC? Forgive an old git for being ignorant.
Job is on hold as the weather is not conducive to doing the job.

As an aside,did my fortnightly 100 mile round trip last Monday the weather was atrocious heavy rain but it was the spray that was the problem HOWEVER when we stopped, the car had been cleaned as well as I can do it. Even sparkly wheels. Soon changed after we left the A30.

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
cleaning around rear light clusters
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 02:19:24 PM »
APC = All Purpose Cleaner :)
There are special APC's for car detailing, but you can use any household multi purpose cleaner.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 02:23:44 PM by jazzway »

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2017, 08:18:01 AM »

Using a high pressure wash can also blast past gaskets around lamp clusters and cause more problems like taking the paint off, if you would not use sandpaper on your car don't use a high pressure jet wash,  normal garden hose pressure is perfectly fine for washing cars - high pressure water jets are used for cutting steel in industry.

Obviously there is high pressure water and there is high pressure water. we are not talking something that cuts through metal!!!

Just the use of the type you find on garage forecourts or your home type jetwash.

I would be more alarm by jazzway's comment about using household cleaners!

jonathan

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4SE
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2017, 08:53:02 AM »
....who are us to dispute other people cleaning techniques  ::)

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2017, 12:15:05 PM »

I would be more alarm by jazzway's comment about using household cleaners!
As a car detailer myself i use car products and will never advice household cleaners for regular washes. But an all purpose cleaner special for cars is not much different than a household one. Most car APC's are even more aggressive!
To use a household APC does the same as car detailing apc and because of the price half Detailing World use that instead of the car apc. ;)

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2017, 12:18:40 PM »
Thanks Jazzway for illuminating me on APC. It is raining AGAIN so on hold but I have plenty to try.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2017, 09:16:05 AM »
Your domestic electric pressure washer will produce about 2000psi,  the commercial car wash ones are at least twice that,  compare with 45 to 80psi from a garden hose.   if you are gonna have the pressure nozzle on wide spray and hold nozzle away from the car the extra pressure does nothing as the pressure of water hitting the car will have dissipated anyway.  There are photos somewhere on this site showing radiator martrixes that have pretty much all the fins missing,  number one suspect was high pressure washer used to clean them.

Most people advise not using a pressure washer on mountain bikes and BMX motorbikes because high pressure can force its way into chain links and past bearing seals etc  causing many problems.

I have seen what even domestic pressure spray can do to concrete slabs etc, and the funny thing is that once you have cleaned moss and lichen off once it comes back much quicker after because you have basically destroyed the smooth concrete surface and roughened it up which gives plant life much more chance of taking hold.

If you love your car leave the Karcher in the garage.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 02:33:35 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags: