Author Topic: Life of break pads and discs  (Read 2923 times)

guest6231

Life of break pads and discs
« on: March 13, 2017, 08:49:33 AM »
Experienced Jazz owners, can you share your experience regarding break pads and discs? How many miles they last ?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Life of break pads and discs
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 08:58:34 AM »
It is really like asking, how long is a piece of string. I get about 75K out of a quality set of front pads and over 100K out of rear pads, but I pride myself in hardly touching the brakes at all. If the discs are ridged and past their best you can go through pads in 10K. If you use your car for track days then a few weekends would be considered acceptable. RichardA got 30K front and 57K rear. It all depends on the quality of the pads (hard or soft material), state of the discs and how you use them.

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2i-VTEC S (AC) 2013
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 11:24:52 AM »
I changed my front pads at 45K and rears on Saturday at 61K and neither really needed changing at the time.
I just couldn't believe they didn't need changing / were worn out. Cheap enough to do and can keep on top of things was the way I looked at it. Also gave me a chance to look at the disks. I have steel wheels so taking the wheel off gave me a better view, then partially stripping the calipers so I could get a proper look at the pads, then cleaning up mud, dust and other gunge decided me I might as well do the job properly, clean, lubricate and replace the pads while I was at it. What I do have following that is piece of mind and knowing I don't have tight sliders and cylinders which without attention may become seized components. I'm not hard on brakes but knowing you have 100% brakes if needed is reassuring. Maybe I'm just old school  :o maybe I just worry to much!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 01:22:23 PM »
I work, part time, in the motor trade, so I get my pads for a few quid but I don't change them for the sake of changing them. The calipers are removed, cleaned and lubricated every service, which with my reduced mileage since retiring, is about every 6K. I used to do rolling maintenance on my vehicles, but now just get my son-in-law to do a major service, once a year. He is a motor mechanic, employed as such, and at my behest does everything I would do myself. Nowadays I am his apprentice/gofer/general dogsbody!

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 05:55:05 PM »
The calipers are removed, cleaned and lubricated every service.....
I used to do that when I serviced our cars but I don't really have the inclination or the physical capacity to do it these days.  I've now asked three different garage about stripping and cleaning the brakes during service on two different cars and they all refused!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 05:56:57 PM by Rory »

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 06:08:38 PM »
My experience of keeping cars a decade or more is that strip and clean is a job which done once properly does not need doing again for at least 8 years...

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 07:25:24 PM »
My experience of keeping cars a decade or more is that strip and clean is a job which done once properly does not need doing again for at least 8 years...
I would probably agree with this, but as my S-I-L is happy to do it, I let him.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 08:36:38 PM »

I agree,  car brake cylinders are well sealed as long as all the gaiters are in position and not split, just flush fluid every 4 years to stop moisture absorbed by fluid internally corroding cylinders.   Motorbike cylinders need more TLC especially if you regularly ride in wet conditions.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 10:53:28 PM »
We don't strip the calipers. Just make sure everything is free to slide and lubricated with white grease.

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 02:55:29 PM »
We don't strip the calipers. Just make sure everything is free to slide and lubricated with white grease.

Yes - that's certainly what I meant, just cleaning and greasing.

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 01:54:11 PM »
It is really like asking, how long is a piece of string. I get about 75K out of a quality set of front pads and over 100K out of rear pads, but I pride myself in hardly touching the brakes at all. If the discs are ridged and past their best you can go through pads in 10K. If you use your car for track days then a few weekends would be considered acceptable. RichardA got 30K front and 57K rear. It all depends on the quality of the pads (hard or soft material), state of the discs and how you use them.

The 30k was out of the originals pads. The dealer phoned me when my Jazz went in for its 3rd service and recomended new pads....and like a mug I said OK then. :P

I got 17k more out of rears than they said I would...go figure.

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2

Tags: