Author Topic: Lumping noise  (Read 3173 times)

Jem

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Honda Jazz sport 1.4 In blue! :D
Lumping noise
« on: March 11, 2017, 03:46:40 PM »
We are away for the weekend for my birthday and on the way to visit Royal tumbridge wells I was driving down a road that was going down hill. I was braking and a car came round the corner a bit on my side so I had to brake harder and as the car dipped and the road went round there was a bit of a bang from the front left.

The car drove fine afterwards. Nothing felt different but now when we go over bumps or pot holes there is a thumping noise from the front left.

Had a look and the wheel is fine, spring looks fine from what I can see. the bumper and trim is all in place so I have no idea what it is. Just hopefully holds until we get home tomorrow. 

Typical as I just got the car sorted with its sticking brake. :(

MikeG1944

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 CVT SE 2008
Re: Lumping noise
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 05:37:20 PM »
Sounds like a shock absorber to me, had a similar problem on a Scenic. They normally break at the top. but it's not normally visible until you get it on a ramp. Normal practice is to change the pair.

Jem

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 06:00:14 PM »
When we got back to the hotel I had a look and I can't see anything broken anywhere. But when moving the steering left and right when it's not moving I can hear that sort of nice so I have a feeling I might have bent something up on the steering. :(

This year really is not going well.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 06:13:17 PM »
Sounds like the noise I had when the ball joint in the wishbone failed. It is a rubber to metal fit, but with wear it separates. Could be pushed by heavy braking. New one cost me £32.

It is the big bush at the bottom of the photo.

Jem

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 06:25:40 PM »
Any idea if it's safe to drive?

The car feels fine. Not pulling to one side or anything. It's just the noise as we go over bumps.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 07:55:42 PM »
As was mine. Seemed to handle perfectly. On the open road it was great, but around town, especially speed-bumps, it was terrible. On close examination, the metal of the wishbone was polished and contacting metal.

Jem

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 12:33:17 PM »
Well I took the car in to my mechanic this morning. After about 10-15 mins of looking around he could not see anything wrong. I was looking as well.

Another young lad was doing a MOT next to the ramp and suggested giving the wheel a wiggle with a bar on a wheel nut.

We found that there was movement in the bushing on the wishbone. They tightened the nut that goes in and that stopped the noise. But under moderate braking it does give one lump. So either the nut is working loose or the bushing is knackered. I will try a spanner on it in a couple of days and see if it is loose again.

The mechanic said that the nuts that hold that bolt in are often welded in place and I could have broken the weld on that

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 01:32:49 PM »
I take it you mean the bolt through the small bush. My son-in-law said they are often welded in but found, that on my Jazz, it was just held as any bolt would be. I am still concerned that it is the big bush that is your problem. It was not clearly evident on my car until it collapsed completely. The good news is it is not a catastrophic failure. It has no place to go and just gets a lot noisier. I didn't even feel it in the handling, though I am no Lewis Hamilton.

Jem

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 03:36:07 PM »
Well the mechanic tightened the bolt and said see how it goes so he was not too worried about anything had happening.

Jem

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 04:01:42 PM »
Update time for anyone that might find this thread in years to come.

After the mechanic tightened the bolt it gradually started getting noisy again so I booked it in for a proper look.

He checked the front suspension and steering to make sure I had not damaged anything else and it all looked in good condition.  He removed the bolt from the wishbone and checked the captive nut. He said it felt like it was OK and I hadn't broken the welds. So he cleaned the nut and bolt put loctight on it an did it up nice and tight.

Hopefully it won cause any more problems.

guest1372

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 06:46:54 PM »
It is possible for a control arm bush to break free of the arm as pictured, once this happens pot holes will produce a clonk.
This is one I spotted at a salvage yard.

--
TG

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 07:09:21 PM »
That is exactly what happened to mine. It is even the same side.

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2i-VTEC S (AC) 2013
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 09:32:07 AM »
Is there anything to stop the bush pulling right out of the arm complete with bolt?
I'm just trying to imagine what would happen if it did like fold the front suspension under unless there is a big over size washer stopping it from coming right out.

guest1372

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2017, 12:09:31 PM »
Is there anything to stop the bush pulling right out of the arm complete with bolt?

There is a bottom plate to the chassis as well, it's not just a projecting bolt, so it's contained within a C shape really.

I have two new bushes to fit, as rubber splits have been an advisory on the last 4 MOTs - doesn't move excessively so it's not an issue but ought to deal with it.  I'll document my experiences in a new thread.
--
TG

[attachment deleted by admin]

Tags:

anything