Author Topic: Best winter modification for £10 what other mods will you add ?  (Read 40773 times)

guest5669

I fitted a couple of Osram Silver Stars over the weekend and I have to say they've made a big difference especially dark nights . I hope you like the shot ;D 

[attachment deleted by admin]

guest5685

• Topic Starter
Re: This has to be the best winter modification for £10 ?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 08:35:53 PM »
Ohhh very nice.

Are they just replacement bulbs?

guest5669

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 08:49:22 PM »
Ohhh very nice.

Yes they are Sylvia takes about 10 mins to fit and makes a world of difference from the standard ones. :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 09:34:20 PM »
Ohhh very nice.

Yes they are Sylvia takes about 10 mins to fit and makes a world of difference from the standard ones. :)

Have used xenon bulbs (various Halfords / Bosch xenon / Phillips Xtreme Vision / Osram nightbreakers) and they are really worth fitting as I needed all the light I could get on my previous 75 mile roundtrip A and B road commute, especially in wet weather.  Not sure about Osram silver stars as they still use Halogen gas.   Found Phillips had better beam pattern (sharper cut-off and light distribution,  and night breakers were a bit brighter but spread the light around a bit more (more fuzzy spread of light).  You do get shorter life than standard Halogen bulbs,  but much brighter for same wattage and  both intensity and life are getting better as filament and gas technology improves,  mine used to last about 18 months but they had a lot of use - they normally last about 500 hours.  You can get Phiilips Xtreme Vision from Powerbulbs.com for less than £30 a pair.

http://www.powerbulbs.com/store/category/car-bulbs/fitting/h4-472 
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 09:38:15 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 09:41:04 AM »
I did the same many years ago with some Ring Ice Blue bulbs. A much better footprint on the road.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Mr Onion

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 23 Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Advance in Crystal Black
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 11:02:21 AM »
Are these bulbs the eye painful 'Blue' or pukka 'White' ?

guest5669

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 01:01:04 PM »

They are in fact Silver White ,i'm not to keen on blue but these are next step down from Xenons.

Mr Onion

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 01:21:09 PM »

They are in fact Silver White , I'm not too keen on blue but these are next step down from Xenons.

Silver white sounds good. I hate the blue as it makes both of out eyes hurt. I've just got to persuade Mrs O that its a good idea now  :P

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 06:25:56 PM »
xenon gas bulbs are whitest filament bulb you can get, whiter than Halogen,   bulbs only give blue light if a filter layer is put on them.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Mr Onion

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 06:29:00 PM »

They are in fact Silver White , I'm not too keen on blue but these are next step down from Xenons.

Silver white sounds good. I hate the blue as it makes both of out eyes hurt. I've just got to persuade Mrs O that its a good idea now  :P

Ordered!

Mr Onion

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2015, 12:41:08 PM »
Arrived yesterday, fitted today. Do Honda use midgets to assemble the front end? My paws had great trouble getting into the 'space' between the light fitting and the bulkhead.

Oh for the 70's when engine bays were big enough to climb into and still have space to work  :P (I loved working on the Triumph Spitfire. You could sit on the front wheel to access the whole engine bay. Bliss.

guest5669

• Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2015, 02:32:27 PM »
Arrived yesterday, fitted today. Do Honda use midgets to assemble the front end? My paws had great trouble getting into the 'space' between the light fitting and the bulkhead.

Oh for the 70's when engine bays were big enough to climb into and still have space to work  :P (I loved working on the Triumph Spitfire. You could sit on the front wheel to access the whole engine bay. Bliss.

Did they make a difference on your motor?
Indeed its very tight in their, but I like them nice and tight ;D

Mr Onion

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2015, 05:10:02 PM »

Indeed its very tight in there, but I like them nice and tight ;D

I've not been out in the dark yet, but even in the daylight they are brighter than the stock. I just swapped one to start with so I could compare them. Colour of the light seems very similar too.

The only other problem was getting the bloody things out of the bloody packing. Almost as tight as the access in the car

EDIT:- Just tried them in the dark (albeit not actually driving) and they light output is great. I think you could use them to signal the Martians  8)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 08:12:02 PM by Mr Onion »

guest5685

• Topic Starter
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2015, 09:13:53 PM »

Indeed its very tight in there, but I like them nice and tight ;D

I've not been out in the dark yet, but even in the daylight they are brighter than the stock. I just swapped one to start with so I could compare them. Colour of the light seems very similar too.

The only other problem was getting the bloody things out of the bloody packing. Almost as tight as the access in the car

EDIT:- Just tried them in the dark (albeit not actually driving) and they light output is great. I think you could use them to signal the Martians  8)

Which ones did you end up buying Mr Onion? And where did you get them from?

Sylv :-)

Mr Onion

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2015, 09:37:27 PM »
I used PowerBulbs Sylv

http://www.powerbulbs.com/product/philips-xtreme-vision-130-h4-twin

Free delivery and 20% off if you remember to use the discount code. Nice sturdy box and lots of bubble.

Tags: