Author Topic: Replace flanged caliper bolts  (Read 3724 times)

monkey64

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 i-VTEC ES 5dr
Replace flanged caliper bolts
« on: April 27, 2017, 05:40:01 PM »
The old caliper bolts have rounded edges and I would like to replace them.  If I keep reusing them they will become too difficult to remove...  I replaced the brake pads on a Clio the other day and new caliper bolts came with the pads.  The Eicher ones I bought for my Jazz don't come with any extras, which is a shame.

I saerched for "Jazz Caliper Bolts" but I couldn't find anything.  The http://www.hondafitjazz.com/manual/A00/HTML/00/SAA2E00D14300014791MDAT10.HTML online Jazz manual shows them to be 8 x 1.25mm but there is no length specified.  Is there anything special about these bolts and does anyone know where I can get some? 

Thanks in advance.

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
Re: Replace flanged caliper bolts
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 08:24:39 AM »
Honda part number for the front caliper mounting bolts is 45240-SC2-003

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV

ianhj

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 1.4 Si
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 09:02:31 AM »
Hi,
Steve-m beat me to it. I was going to give you a link to Lings Honda Parts but his link is much better and does later cars.

You can get a slider pin and bolt kit off Ebay. Look here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-JAZZ-2008-2014-FRONT-BRAKE-CALIPER-SLIDER-PIN-KIT-GUIDE-PIN-BCF0002C-/261613575110?hash=item3ce9625bc6:g:t1QAAOSwSypZAKMQ

I've not bought one yet but probably will when I come to replace my discs and pads.

Good luck.

guest5079

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 02:05:59 PM »
As I needed both the  flange bolts and the bellows that keep the crud out of the slider pins, I bought a kit off Ebay. Considerably cheaper than Honda parts. Whilst I appreciate E bay parts might be inferior, I am surprised
that the Honda ones are soft enough to round off.
Given the last persons to touch the brakes was a Honda  dealer, it begs the question are their tools worn out?

guest1372

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 02:47:45 PM »
There are some times a 6 sided socket is the best thing, other times a 12 sided one is best, and probably better than both is the type with scalloped profile that avoids the corners entirely and contacts the mid point of each nut flat.  I'm just doing a job on an undisturbed 15 y.o. Honda nut right now that has just rounded off in a 12 side socket, should have used a 6 sided even though all the nuts/bolts had a good dose of penetrating oil 48 & 24 hours before starting the job.   Times like this I become more impressed with Torx and External Torx used on certain other cars which has a much better contact angle of closer to 90° between tool and fastener.

--
TG

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 03:10:21 PM »
Given the last persons to touch the brakes was a Honda  dealer, it begs the question are their tools worn out?

General hand tools and that includes all spanners,sockets, screwdrivers etc are usually the property of the mechanic doing the job for which he can claim on his income tax return.

Vic.

Tags: