Author Topic: Advice on a new buy.  (Read 3656 times)

guest6803

Advice on a new buy.
« on: April 22, 2017, 07:40:59 PM »
Hi All,

My first post hear although I have been reading a lot and have sorted my leaking boot from the info I have found here!

Anyway I have just bought a 2007 (56 plate) Jazz with 63k on the clock. It is the first small second hand car i have bought as I normally go for larger cars as you generally get more for your money and they are better built.

But, we needed economy. So I went for a Honda. I'm a bit disappointed at the moment but hoping with your assistance I can sort the problems.
I have already hacked out the disintegrating sealant from around the roof rails and boot and re-done it with sikaflex which seems to have sorted the leak.
Now I'm hoping I can reduce the road noise, I think it is the rear near side wheel bearing but the noise is only bad on rough motorway surfaces.

Is the jazz just noisy and bumpy?

Also how often should spark plugs be changed? I have a receipt that say they were done at 39k.

Oil and filter was done in Jan 17. I have just done air and pollen filters. Is there anything else needs checking. Any comments or advice are very appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Advice on a new buy.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 07:59:05 PM »
I bought my first Jazz last summer, for exactly the same reason as you did. I previously had a Volvo S40. The Jazz isn't as well insulated, noise wise, as the Volvo was, but I don't find that road noise is intrusive. It is not such a smooth ride as I was used to, but the shorter wheelbase makes that inevitable. Road noise is greatly influenced by the type of tyre fitted to the vehicle as, to a less extent, is ride comfort.
With regard to plugs, Iridium plugs are supposed to be good for up to 75K miles between changes, but if the plugs are just standard I would be inclined to change them.
I have fallen in love with my Jazz, over the past 10 months, and find that the savings in fuel alone, more than make up for any shortcomings!

guest6803

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 08:17:11 PM »
Thanks for the reply, my last vehicles were a Passat and a Volvo V40 I wasn't expecting the the ride or noise to be near these really.

I am happy with the Jazz's engine, gearbox and handling.

What tyres would you recommend? 

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 08:35:58 PM »
Yep, quite noisy at 60+, I don't think the load cover makes any difference to noise so I leave it at home. 

Worn rear wheel bearing will be obvious at this speed as wear increases if one side is still OK.  I got fobbed off by Honda within the 7 year extended warranty as 'road noise'.  When it gets bad you will find it rough to turn when jacked up.  My replacements (£150 & £25) have now equaled the originals and are still fine. 

Pull out a random spark plug and if it looks OK then wait till next year, repeat as desired - if you are doing them yourself then you can keep them on the shelf and change the set any time you wish; if done at service then you have predict the plug's health over the next 12 months so tend to change perfectly OK plugs. 

You are at the time interval for new gearbox fluid, but still have low mileage, if engaging first is a bit 'notchy' then new oil will help: 1.6l of MTF-3 or equivalent.
--
TG

guest6803

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 08:51:46 PM »
Thanks again TG. The gearbox bearing was done by Honda at 49k along with a new clutch kit and oil so the gearbox feels absolutely slick and I guess should be good beyond the scheduled service point?

I will check the spark plugs. Often wondered if a bad spark plug can do any actual damage or just affect performance/ economy?

I notice a slight growl at around 2500 - 3000rpm when the engine is cold and accelerating, pretty normal I guess for a cold engine?   

Cheers Oli

Jem

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Honda Jazz sport 1.4 In blue! :D
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 09:07:03 PM »
Yes the Jazz is a bit noisy on the motorway. But it's nothing compared to how noisy my Punto used to be.  :D

I think it is a reasonably smooth ride and I find it comfortable on the motorway. It does depend on the surface. There is some newly relaid surface near me and its very quiet but on the rubbish stuff on the A11 it does lump a bit. 

I changed my plugs this year. I did a post about it. Took me a little over an hour to do. just make sure not to cross thread them!

I just drove back from London to Norwich which was as easy journey. But my back box is currently sitting on the approach to the Barton Mills roundabout. So I need to get that sorted on Monday.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 10:17:11 PM »
The tyres on my car are just what was on it when I bought it. Nothing I recognise name wise. I'd neither recommend or decry them.

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 04:23:54 PM »
Can't speak for a Mk1 but we swopped a Rover 45 V6 auto for an EX Ishift and after a few months the little niggles of the Jazz disappeared. The Mk2 does bounce a bit on the deplorable road surfaces BUT 45 plus to the gallon as apposed to the 25mpg of the Rover sweetens the pot.
I invested in sound proofing. I did the rear hatch, the panels in the luggage area and under the rear seats. Being deaf does not help but my Wife said it did make a difference.
We are now into 30 months of ownership and like most of the other contributors love the little beast.
I note with interest TG's problem with Honda and I have made my feelings about the dealers and HQ known. My comment to these people was the Jazz does not deserve the main dealers and manufacturer that it is lumbered with. At the moment I am awaiting a response from the MD of Honda. I will be surprised if it is answered and if it is will it be full of platitudes?
Enjoy the Jazz and hopefully after you have it sorted you will join the happy band.  If you have a problem just post it here and you will be rewarded by  knowledgeble answers.Good Luck

guest6803

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 07:51:56 PM »
Hi ,

Thanks for the reply aunty neddy, just had a day buzzing around and have found, after giving the car a good clean, that there was a piece of seal around the front door that had become displaced. Now that this is sealed the road noise seams reasonable and the performance/ economy seem good and got to say the engine and gearbox are very sweet.

After a weeks worth of commuting though and varied use (300 miles 'ish) the trip computer is saying 43.8 which is good but people are reporting a fair bit higher, so wondering if the car isn't running at it's best or it is just a bit old?

Did you do the sound proofing yourself? I paid very little for the car and hate wasting money, if the sound proofing is an easy DIY thing I might have a look at it otherwise I think I'll make do. It's mainly my partner that uses it and she seems happy!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2017, 10:33:12 PM »
I have averaged 51.9 mpg over the 9 months I have had my car. Check your tyre pressures are correct. Soft tyres have a huge effect on mpg.

MikeG1944

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 CVT SE 2008
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2017, 11:09:08 AM »
Hi Olijazz; I've had my 2008 CVT jazz for a year now and can get around 38mpg on short runs in the Winter and around 50mpg on long runs in the Summer. But it's difficult to state what you should get because there are so many variables. The way you drive (acceleration and braking), long runs or mostly short runs (up the town and back), Tyre pressures (already mentioned by Jocko) and use of Aircon (drops a little off the mileage), as does rear screen heater.

And 300 miles is too short to get an average really. Plus the computer reading will normally be a few mpg higher than an average of several fill ups calculated by litres used. 43mpg is not bad at all if you have a lot of short runs included, especially in Winter.

Have fun with your Jazz, they are a great little car. :)

Mike.

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2017, 02:15:03 PM »
Yes Olijazz I did it myself. Firstly I bought a set of trim removal tools off Ebay. You can use a screwdriver with the blade wrapped up but the trim removal tools are dirt cheap and have paid dividends.
I then used the on line manual, which unfortunately is for the Mk2 but Haynes do a manual for the Mk1.
I used two types of sound deadening. One was aluminium foil backed in a bitumastic type material which is allegedly used by the Russian forces. The other is the more normal foam type rubber with adhesive backing. All from Ebay. In the load area I used both, the ally one and then the rubber one on top.
On the Mk2 the rear  seat belts fixing on the floor of the load area had to be undone. All the trim panels came off quite easily.DON'T FORCE them. On large areas I just used  the sheets as they came and the curves I used 'bits' left from cutting the sheets. Fiddly, time consuming and frustrating but spread over a couple of days all done. Be careful of the edges of exposed metal bl**dy sharp.Especially the rear hatch door. I did not do the front as there is on the Mk2 quite substantial sound proofing already.
If you tackle it good luck.

Denis

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 1.4
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2017, 05:29:14 AM »
Is yours an eight plug car ? dont forget to replace the back four on the DSI !

Tags: