Author Topic: Disable start screen warning.  (Read 9888 times)

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
Disable start screen warning.
« on: April 19, 2017, 04:57:07 PM »
Is there any way that the startup screen warning can be disabled? I am finding on occasion, that it requires several presses of the accept 'button' to remove it. I find that if I lick my finger first then it will respond quicker.

I suppose that the answer will be, that it is an EU Elf & Safety directive and can't be deleted.
My view is, if you need this sort or reminder every time you start up, then you should not be driving.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
Re: Disable start screen warning.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 05:01:06 PM »
If you ignore it the screen will eventually go black. Apart from the time which will be just about visible during the night in the top right hand corner. It's one of the sillier aspects of the unit.

Going black is understandable. But if you're going to leave the time showing in the top right why not at least give it a sensible brightness level. At least then you'd have a visible clock.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 05:06:11 PM »
How do you turn off the "If you crash the car its your fault" screen was the first thing I asked the salesman when I returned from a test drive. "Can't be turned off" was the reply. :(

Kenneve

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 05:07:39 PM »
Hi Andruec
Understand what you say about the blank screen. However I normally like  to run, with the Info screen showing the fuel consumption data. Also accept what you say about the clock, should be normal brightness, in the blank screen mode.

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 06:46:25 PM »
Well the current design is irritating. I quite like the info display as well as it shows track info when playing music but if the blank screen showed the time it'd save the hassle of 'pressing' that button.

Kenneve

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 04:54:19 PM »
Just happened to notice today, whilst driving with a blank info screen.

When the traffic announcements override the audio, the clock display comes on, at full brilliance, and stays on until the TA finishes.

This therefore means that a small software upgrade by Honda, could easily ensure that the clock stays on all the time, regardless of whether the screen is active or not. Has anyone else noticed this? How about it Honda?

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 06:09:32 PM »
This therefore means that a small software upgrade by Honda, could easily ensure that the clock stays on all the time, regardless of whether the screen is active or not. Has anyone else noticed this? How about it Honda?
Yeah it's pathetic. Possibly the most pathetic bug of all. The clock is always shown in the top right but is so dim that it can only be seen at night.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 04:41:13 PM »
Apologies if this is stating the blindingly obvious, but the unit can display a clock at normal screen brightness if that's what you want ... but this isn't in the handbook. You have to first switch to the alternative skin, and that gives you a clock button on the Android home screen. There are settings to control the type (digital/analogue), size, and position of the clock, although I haven't tried those, the big analogue clock works fine for me. It's mildly annoying having to first cancel the start-up screen then select the clock every time, but it seems to be characteristic of this unit that it doesn't remember what it was showing when it was shut down.

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2017, 07:21:15 PM »
It's mildly annoying having to first cancel the start-up screen then select the clock every time
Yeah at least with the default skin you only have to cancel the start-up screen. It'd be nice not to have to do anything (and maddening that the time is always displayed but too dim to be useful). However second best for me is the fewest taps possible to show the time and I have mine set to show the Audio screen which I do sometimes glance at or use to select a different source.

guest6972

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2017, 07:16:57 AM »
The start screens (splash screen followed by warning screen) are a safety hazard. First, the splash screen is entirely useless and remains visible for far too long. By the time the warning screen shows, I am already on the move. Cancelling the warning screen while driving is hazardous. If I try to do it, I sometimes change language instead! Not cancelling it causes the screen to turn off, thus losing functionality. Does Honda not understand that such driver distractions are hazardous? May I recommend adopting the Mercedes approach, where the warning screen self-cancels as soon as you drive off. Please!

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2017, 07:20:47 PM »
Sadly this is a user operated forum. If you want Honda to know your thoughts you need to email them. Even more sadly based on my experience they don't give a damn.

ColinB

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 09:06:24 AM »
The start screens (splash screen followed by warning screen) are a safety hazard. ... Cancelling the warning screen while driving is hazardous. ... Does Honda not understand that such driver distractions are hazardous?
The obvious response from Honda would be that the driver should do all that before moving off. But that would belittle the underlying issue here, which is that touchscreens are hazardous in cars because of the absence of haptic feedback: you have to look at them whilst driving, and then attempt to tap exactly the right spot without the benefit of any tactile assistance. My particular bete noir is cancelling RDS TA interruptions which cannot be done using steering wheel buttons (AFAIK ?).
Sadly this is a user operated forum. If you want Honda to know your thoughts you need to email them. Even more sadly based on my experience they don't give a damn.
It's too easy for manufacturers to ignore private feedback by email. If you really want results you have to publicise the issue using the widest possible means. Look at the campaigns for Renault Clio bonnet catches and Vauxhall Zafira fires: they started with user comments on forums like this but expanded into social and mass media. You have to get to a point where the issue is so widely known that the manufacturer thinks it's either harming their reputation or losing them sales. If you think the touchscreen issue is sufficiently serious to warrant the effort (rather than just being mildly disappointed about a car's features) then go to it. Although looking at the cockpit of, say, a Tesla it looks like touchscreens are here to stay.

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2017, 11:46:59 AM »
My particular bete noir is cancelling RDS TA interruptions which cannot be done using steering wheel buttons (AFAIK ?).

You can cancel a TA announcement by using the "Back" / Hangup button on the steering wheel LHS or the back button on the side of the screen.

ColinB

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2017, 08:48:36 AM »
My particular bete noir is cancelling RDS TA interruptions which cannot be done using steering wheel buttons (AFAIK ?).

You can cancel a TA announcement by using the "Back" / Hangup button on the steering wheel LHS or the back button on the side of the screen.
Thanks for that. I thought I'd tried all the steering wheel buttons without success, I'll give that one another go.

Tags:

anything