Author Topic: Tappets servicing  (Read 2395 times)

guest1521

Tappets servicing
« on: April 16, 2017, 09:25:26 PM »
My daughter has an i-DSi 2003 Jazz on 90,000 miles. It always starts perfectly and - apart from the slightest of misfires every 100 miles or so - runs well. It has long-running commutes to work and monthly, long out-of-town runs.

It's regularly serviced - including its 8 spark plugs...except for TAPPETS... We don't know if the previous owners had them checked/adjusted.

What are the symptoms of tappets needing adjustment? (Can that cause a misfire?) And what are the consequences if tappets are left unadjusted?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Tappets servicing
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 10:38:19 PM »
Tappets out of adjustment normally lead to a rattle. If tappets are too tight it can lead to a valve burning, but tappets normally open up (hence the rattle). From what I have read, tappets on the Jazz seldom need adjusted.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 12:58:22 PM »
Tappets out of adjustment normally lead to a rattle. If tappets are too tight it can lead to a valve burning, but tappets normally open up (hence the rattle). From what I have read, tappets on the Jazz seldom need adjusted.

Never adjusted tappets on my i-dsi in 120,000 miles,  and my wifes neither in 90K despite the 25K recommended check and adjustment  (my first Civic did 190K without adjustment),  both ran very well and very little tappet noise.  As jocko says the time to worry is when tappets don't make a noise because that is when the gap has tightened up and the next thing you have is burnt valves and compression loss.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 02:35:52 PM »
I've paid to have them adjusted before, but with zero change.  The car is always a little bit 'tappy' in winter, but fine in summer.  Would not bother again unless there was a material change.
--
TG

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 11:36:46 AM »
76,400 miles and never had the tappets adjusted with no problems reported. My Jazz is 2007 so 'requires' adjustment every 62.5k, change over was around 2006. 2006-09 Civic also uses this engine so always worth checking out civinfo.com or hondakarma to see Civic owners' views on tappet adjustment.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 12:43:34 PM by RichardA »

Tags: