Author Topic: What is the rear screen made of?  (Read 1570 times)

guest5079

What is the rear screen made of?
« on: April 14, 2017, 02:33:15 PM »
A question for the techno chaps.
Recently, molten metal has come into contact with the rear screen. It was hot enough to melt the 'glass'. I have had it looked at by a Windscreen firm and they agree it is metal and has indeed melted into  the 'glass'. I believe I have read that the Civic has a plastic rear screen. Given the temperatures needed to melt glass has any one any ideas about this because if the Mk 2  Jazz rear screen is of similar composition to the Civic, it would explain a lot.
The strange thing is there is no damage to the paintwork, Whatever happened it came from above ( no not aliens) as the metal blobs are pear shaped with the bulbous bit at the bottom. About the size of Raspberry pips which is what I originally thought they were. Knocking hell out of the rear wiper blade.
At the moment I am waiting to hear from my insurers as according to my policy damage to windscreens AND glass is covered.

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: What is the rear screen made of?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 03:44:10 PM »
On my Civic only the small vertical screen below the spoiler is plastic - the top sloping screen is glass.

Has anyone been cutting metal with oxy-acetylene near your car, have you parked by a scrapyard or building site / demolition site / roadworks.

If people have been erecting or demolishing a building and cutting steel girders with plasma / oxy-acetylene torch that would produce very hot molten droplets that would melt into glass easily.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 04:48:25 PM »
Glass melts around 550°C. Steel around 3 times that temperature.

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 11:10:36 AM »
Thank you for the input.
My prime suspect is the A30 road works on Bodmin Moor. Although it is only fortnightly, we have had to endure the systematic disruption for nearly 2 years.  I believe it is a 4 km section. Some time we see virtually nobody at all.
One journey a curtain wall was being erected, next one it had been taken down. The bridges, which my Wife thought she saw sparks coming from one  as we passed under, have been in place for weeks and yet the concrete sides were on a our last trip still not finished.
Much as I would like to blame KIER or their sub contractors how far would I get?
Incidentally, we were told yesterday on the TV it will be finished for the summer??????????????????????

Tags:

anything