Author Topic: Idle stop, on or off?  (Read 1036 times)

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
Re: Idle stop, on or off?
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2017, 04:23:51 PM »
Really ? Could you describe how you use it please ? Are you perhaps confusing Brake Hold (as described here http://www.jthughes.co.uk/How-To/View/Honda/HR-V/How-to-use-the-Honda-HR-V-brake-hold-option/02279019-149f-47ba-b05b-e589bb30b9ee) with Hill Start Assist ? I don't see BH listed as a feature on any Jazz spec, but HSA is.

I hadn't heard of the Brake Hold feature before.  It sounds rather useful, and I would welcome it on the Jazz.  It seems to operate in conjunction with the electronically operated handbrake.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2017, 05:43:35 PM »
However you're wrong about 'brake hold'. My EX has it.

Really ? Could you describe how you use it please ? Are you perhaps confusing Brake Hold (as described here http://www.jthughes.co.uk/How-To/View/Honda/HR-V/How-to-use-the-Honda-HR-V-brake-hold-option/02279019-149f-47ba-b05b-e589bb30b9ee) with Hill Start Assist ? I don't see BH listed as a feature on any Jazz spec, but HSA is.
Ah, yes. Sorry.

It's very tempting to suggest that if you are having trouble seeing the dashboard buttons and indicators ...
... you should go to an optician :)

But I wouldn't go quite that far. :D :D :D

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Blue HR-V SE CVT
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2017, 10:17:27 PM »
I like the principle of the idle stop although I was spoiled because I first encountered it on the Jazz hybrid which has a very smooth restart due to the electric motor. However, the idle stop on the Mk 3 Jazz (or my current HR-V) is no problem provided one remembers a couple of points (i) anticipate the need to move by about a second by reducing the brake pedal pressure (which restarts the engine on the CVT vehicles) and (ii) light brake pedal pressure will stop the car but not the engine which is appropriate for roundabout queues whereas the idle stop is appropriate for traffic light queues. But I much prefer driving in conditions where the traffic keeps moving and the idle stop isn't needed ;D

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2017, 08:56:59 AM »
But I much prefer driving in conditions where the traffic keeps moving and the idle stop isn't needed ;D
Yeah. I've become quite adept at controlling it at roundabouts. Banbury rush hour varies quite a lot and it takes experience to work out if a queue is slow moving or 'stuck'. Sometimes a long queue for a roundabout is slow moving. Sometimes a short queue is stuck.

The trick on this stretch is to look out for pedestrians hovering around the traffic lights. The naughty monkeys sometimes press the button. How jolly inconsiderate of them :D

I like to let I/S do it's thing but I have to be sure that it will be off for at least 2 seconds to avoid wasting fuel. Still - it all adds to the fun of driving in my view :)

Tags:

anything