Author Topic: Experience with Honda UK and dealers in general  (Read 6966 times)

guest5079

Experience with Honda UK and dealers in general
« on: March 10, 2017, 09:34:40 AM »
I trust this is the correct section:  I have posted about the Cruise Control on my Mk2.  Members have mixed ideas about what seems to be an anomaly, re at 70mph the car is held back on hills but not at another speed.
I Emailed Honda UK asking if they had any thoughts on the matter. No reply so I tried again, same result so I wrote to Honda Uk. At the same time I had a moan about the dealer from who I bought the car. One of the matters is the paintwork. Honda completely ignored the paint question, picked up on a trivial throw way remark I made and the crowning glory was, 'They ( the dealer ) are not aware of the issue that you have reported on the cruise control' Honda advise me to take it back to the dealer for road test and diagnosis.
I did not make a complaint about the cruise control I merely asked for their input.  Do people these days NOT read letters? All I got was how the dealer had done work when I complained. I should think they would, two of the matters I mentioned to Honda UK is that TWO round trips of 50 miles had to be made 1) for them to replace the front and rear discs with only the rear pads renewed ( I asked if this was normal practice as in my days it was NOT) and 2) to have the brake fluid replaced after they admitted it had not been done at 3 yrs. My point was that neither should have been necessary as at time of purchase I was told, nothing to worry about as the car has been gone through and what is necessary has been done. I hasten to add the brakes alarmed me enough to have them checked at an MOT station where although they passed the test JUST I was told they would have had an advisory attached. I queried the brake fluid after worrying about the dreaded Jazz sharp brakes which incidentally disappeared after the fluid was changed.
What are the experiences of members re Honda UK and Dealers in general? This is not a witch hunt merely an interest.

d2d4j

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SI 5 Dr
Re: Experience with Honda UK and dealers in general
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 10:24:27 AM »
Hi auntyneddy

I hope you don't mind, but my jazz on cruise control works the same.

It is not an issue as I am aware of it, and manually slow down, but doing so causes the cruise control to stop working, so have to turn on again

Many thanks

John

Alan

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 11:28:51 AM »
Never had any sort of problem with the cruise control any any of my 3 Hondas. Each system has it's own characteristics as does the system on our Renault Captur.
In terms of Dealer service I cannot speak too highly of the service, advice and help that we have received in the 14 years we have been dealing with Honda, to coin the old phrase, "always a pleasure to do business with"

Garyman

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 ES
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 11:39:35 AM »
Don't have cruise control on my Jazz but have it on my wife 2016 plate CRV and previous 2014 Accord and both working as i'd expected although we don't use it that often as we rarely go on motorways or opportunities to use cruise control.

Not had to deal with Honda UK directly but I have nothing but praise for my local Honda dealer in Newcastle (Vertu Honda, previously Springfield).

I have used them for the past +16years and its the only place I take my car for service and mot.  The service team and senior mechanics know me very well now and they know my expectations and I know they wont "try it on" with me with work that doesn't need doing etc

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 01:03:26 PM »
So far I have been very pleased with the 2 separate Honda dealerships I have used but, to be fair, I haven't had much go wrong. That's when you really find out if they cut the mustard.

Interestingly, the most unreliable car I've ever owned - a VW Golf didn't cause me any dealership problems at all. They were very helpful and did a couple of repairs outside of the used car warranty on a goodwill basis.

Over the years though, it seems to me that you can't generalise by car make. Service varies from franchise to franchise.

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 11:18:59 AM »
Thanks for the input. To reiterate There  is NOT a problem with the Cruise Control. The question I raised was this.

On two separate occasions on the A30 dual carriageway, because traffic was light I was able to use the cruise control.  For several miles an  even 70, then coming to a steep hill, going down the car was held back and the speed remained at 70.  The second occasion the car changed down into 4th BUT a constant 70 was still maintained.
 ON every other hill steep or otherwise, at lesser speeds the car has run away requiring braking which as you all report means resetting the cruise control.
I merely wondered if there was a reason for this.
Perhaps it is an anorak question but as far as I am concerned it is a plus for the little Jazz.

What ticks me off is when the correspondent at Honda UK makes it into a complaint, the complaint was WHY had TWO Emails been ignored? I even gave them the let out by stating if you don't know just say so.
As to the dealer, I had brake issues which they did fix over TWO visits and then pretended that it was a gesture of goodwill. The issues arose within about 10 days after purchase. I covered my back by having the brakes checked on a rolling road as if for MOT and although they passed JUST I was told an advisory would have been issued. The car had allegedly been thoroughly checked and yet the brake fluid after I took them to task they admitted had NOT been changed at 3 yrs which they were well aware of. After changing the fluid the Jazz lost the customary grabbing brakes. Other silly things like the TRK was well out of date and yet it had been ticked as OK. A tick against spare wheel, their aint one. Silly things that added to a bigger problem loom large. All on their check list.
The car I traded in had a ring binder with ALL that had been done to the car in our ownership. The salesman stated it was worthless as it had no dealer stamp. The book for the Jazz had all the stamps and yet they had  sold the car knowing the fluid hadn't been done. Other items  I merely did my self.  Had they actually checked the vehicle these should have been done. I am not after blood but when I pay very good money for a supposedly top market S/H car it should be just that top market. I would suggest that any person buying a 4yr old car would be upset if within a very short time had paint peel off and rust appear. It is clearly from accident damage which. even the paintshop manager stated  was a rough job but as soon as I stated I had only just bought the car it was disappear in the opposite direction at a great rate of knots. Unfortunately the previous owner will not answer my request as to who did the repair and the dealer doesn't want to tell me if it was them.
Don't get me wrong  after 2 plus yrs of ownership I think the car is brilliant.
I am also pleased that in general members are happy with their dealers.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 08:46:18 AM »
My wife just took her GE 1.4 Si to local Honda dealer for an MOT ( I know its a bad idea but try telling her that - she says 'she likes the staff'),  sailed through,  not even an advisory - but on their 'healthcheck' sheet it stated that the NSR brake disc was rusty on inner face.
Well those discs and pads were replaced last November, with proper Honda parts (Cox Motors) and calipers stripped and lubed.  Bear in mind this is the same dealer that passed the car last July with the rear discs in a appalling condition,  the rust was literally flaking off the discs. (PDF photo attached)  I had new discs and pads ready last year in case it failed MOT,  but it was OK,  makes you wonder.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 08:49:21 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 08:48:26 AM »
Have you checked the disc yourself?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 09:20:33 AM »
Have you checked the disc yourself?

Will have to wait till tomorrow,  I have a very important appointment with a golf course today - I would be shocked if disc has any rust because the inner pad side is where cylinder pushes and normally gets pressure even when slide pins are binding,  but I know the pins and ears are free because I fitted pads myself and re-lubed the pins and ears,  the outside face of disc is shiny as a new pin.  Inner face of disc also has a splash guard and very hard to see face.

I have tried the handbrake against the engine in reverse and car rises up evenly at the back,  normally if one side not working properly one side goes up higher.

This was not an advisory, just their Honda check sheet, but the cost was £249 (for one brake).

I suspect this is a case of a woman taking a car in.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 09:35:50 AM »
I suspect this is a case of a woman taking a car in.

You may well be right. Talking of golf course appointments, I haven't swung a club in 10 years, but I was sorting through a cupboard yesterday, and found an expensive pair of golf shoes I have only worn once. Put me in the mood for a swing. Even just the driving range!

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 02:30:49 PM »
Took our Jazz in last Friday for the air bag to be changed. The car eventually disappeared and about 35 mins was back on the forecourt. Sat there like lemons until after about another 15 mins went to the receptionist and asked if we could have our car. The so called service assistant, who had the key was sitting yackering to one of the salesman. If he had been in sight, I would have spoken to him sooner  but he was hidden form our view.
I suppose it  was their way of showing me who is boss, after all one  should  not complain about main dealers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2017, 01:09:23 PM »
Took our Jazz in last Friday for the air bag to be changed. The car eventually disappeared and about 35 mins was back on the forecourt. Sat there like lemons until after about another 15 mins went to the receptionist and asked if we could have our car. The so called service assistant, who had the key was sitting yackering to one of the salesman. If he had been in sight, I would have spoken to him sooner  but he was hidden form our view.
I suppose it  was their way of showing me who is boss, after all one  should  not complain about main dealers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Very common way of treating "customers" these days, major dealer networks make more profit on servicing than any other car sales aspects inc new car sales

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2017, 01:56:12 PM »
I had my air bags replaced by Great Western Honda in Dunfermline, and have nothing but praise for the service I received. I had two visits for recall work, and Louise, the Service assistant, was my point of contact on both occasions. She was an attractive, capable, helpful and extremely pleasant young lady. Both times I was given a free courtesy car (CRV and a Jazz) for the day, and my car was returned washed and valetted. On the first occasion they also did a full check of brakes, tyres, lights, exhaust and fluids and even sent me a video of the results.
I would be more than happy to use them again, and if ever I am in the market for a new Honda, that is where I will go to buy it.

Tags:

anything