Author Topic: Fitting DRL to jazz  (Read 20794 times)

d2d4j

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SI 5 Dr
Fitting DRL to jazz
« on: February 27, 2017, 09:25:29 AM »
Hi

I hope I have posted in correct forum, apologies if I have not

I have bought a set of DRL for our Honda jazz si, and a controller which should dim DRL to 50% light on indicator and sidelights

I would like to ask if anyone could help as follows

How to locate a ACC in fuse box and best method for connecting the ACC wire

How best to connect the indicator and sidelight connections

The controller has a green wire which it states should go to audio, is this the horn connection - it states on pressing the audio button, the DRL should strobe

Lastly, it maybe a silly question, but which wire needs connecting (the positive or negative) for the sidelight/indicator/horn or is there only 1 wire

Thank you for your time in advance

Many thanks

John

guest1372

Re: Fitting DRL to jazz
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 01:33:24 PM »
This thread had some commentary on fitting DRLs to a Mk1, similar principles and issues probably apply to the Mk2.
http://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=8585.msg44056

The power might be best served from the IG1 ignition switched feed rather than ACC so you can sit waiting in the car with the radio on and the DRLs off, the sidelight wiring for mode changing from DRL to secondary Front Position Lamp should be more accessible in the Mk2 through the engine bay.

An IG1 switched +ve supply near the DRLs is the power supply for the headlight leveling motors, this is Light Green and fused at 10A via fuse #5 in the under dash fusebox.
Left indicator is Blue, right indicator is White
Front position light wiring is +ve Grey
Lighting ground (-ve) wires are black.

I assume the audio trigger is to flash the DRLs with an alarm, and if you fit the DRLs away from the indicators down on the valance then you don't need to dim them when indicating, that's only a requirement when they are co-located.
--
TG

d2d4j

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 01:44:02 PM »
Hi tg

Many thanks, much appreciated

I'll look at your link thank you, and try to understand your post fully

I prefer the DRL to dim, and you are correct, the position of the DRL are in the bumper, on the si it has 2 black oblongs, which I need to remove and fit the new one. So hopefully should look at when finished

I do prefer the dimming as I suffer badly from been blinded by other cars with DRL

Once again, many thanks for your help

John

3reggy

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 10:36:45 PM »
Hi Any photos as would like to put on my si also
Thanks John

d2d4j

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 12:06:18 PM »
Hi 3reggy

I'll take some photos and post

My hardest part is understanding and locating the wiring TG posted, but I will have a go after reading and reading posts

Also, off topic, so I apologise, but I am uncertain or confused if our si is a mk2 or a mk3, and if forum does not mind, I'll post some pics of the lighted door sills and door downlighting I fitted over Christmas. I think they look good myself

The DRL and controller hopefully be delivered soon, so I can get started

Many thanks

John

guest1372

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 04:25:02 PM »
I'll see if I can take a photo of the conduits on my friend's Mk2/GE.
--
TG

d2d4j

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 06:36:00 PM »
Hi TG

I would appreciate if you were able to thank you

The DRL and controller are not here yet

Many thanks

John

d2d4j

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 03:59:23 PM »
Hi

The DRL have arrived but I am waiting for the controller to arrive

I have attached some pics of the DRL I have bought

I am a little concerned that the wire maybe a little short but hopefully someone could let me know or I will see when removing the first cover

Many thanks

John

3reggy

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 09:27:14 PM »
Brilliant , where did you get these from please
Cheers John

d2d4j

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 10:13:10 PM »
Hi 3reggy

Many thanks

There is a lot I do not fully understand sorry, fitting and wiring so please use your own judgment but I got them here (hope the link works sorry)

Also, there is no controller, so this is extra and I'll post pics of the controller I bought when it arrives

The DRL fit flush to the trim, and I have left the protective plastic trim over the lights, until I have fit them

I'll also take some pics as I said, for sills and door lights and post

I hope it helps

Many thanks

John

https://m.aliexpress.com/s/item/32742572368.html?trace=wwwdetail2mobilesitedetail&productId=32742572368&productSubject=2PCs-set-LED-DRL-light-Car-daylight-Daytime-Running-Lights-For-Honda-Jazz-Fit-RS-2011&spm=2114.40010608.4.143.pA9WAD

d2d4j

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 03:13:12 PM »
Hi

I hope someone maybe able to help, sorry. I'm stuck

I had a go at fitting the DRL today, and all went smoothly until it came time to insert the DRL (only tried 1 side)

The issue I have is that the DRL are to big in depth of them, and the location securing prongs cannot reach the intended holes far enough

I hope not to cut out any bumper, as part of the location (top prong) would become weak I think

I would be grateful for any suggestions or solutions

I have included some pics so you can see, and the bottom of the bumper, I also removed the balance plug, but still not deep enough

Appreciate Amy help you maybe able to offer

Many thanks

John

guest1372

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 05:48:46 PM »
They look like nice units, but it is possible the RS and Si have different recesses.  I'll take a guess and suggest that the large square nuts on the DRLs fit behind the slimmer part of the bumper slot and hold the DRL in firmly, then the black trim is held by the click tabs.  You might need to un-clip the wheel arch liner to tighten the square nuts up from behind if there is no alternative access from beneath.

Just watched these which might help with the overall installation if not the fitment...
Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2HmEQVkxIE
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzhH19PF2ho
--
TG

d2d4j

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 06:25:04 PM »
Hi TG

Many thanks, much appreciated

I have watched those videos over many weeks/months and they are DIY, but gave a lot of info for removal of trim

I asked a friend, who is more mechanically minded then me, and he suggested they are a 2 part fitment

So I have just been out to have a look

I think he's right, you fit the LED section first, by sliding the bracket at back of led between the slot on bumper (should go in the large middle section, then slide down and backup to where you want them.

Cut the back trim case of the cover, to allow the LED to push through the trim cover.

So you are correct, fit led first then trim

I tried tonight but it's getting to dark and it is an extremely tight fit, I could not push down the LED, going upwards is easier but not enough room to fit the lower bracket in the slot

Guess I maybe ok just fitting the bottom bracket as it is extremely tight fit

Any ideas on how best to fit them without damaging the paintwork is greatly appreciated

I hope my explanation is easy to follow or understand

Also, as I said I would, and I hope I am breaking forum rules sorry, please see pics of my sill guards and footlights. Had to wait for darkness for door lights

Many thanks

John

d2d4j

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2017, 06:34:20 PM »
Hi TG

Sorry a thought, please could I ask how easy it to remove the front wheel arch covers

If access could be gained to the back of the front bumper, installing the LED would be easier I think

Please correct me if I am wrong

Many thanks

John

d2d4j

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2017, 06:41:05 PM »
Hi TG

Very sorry, rereading your post, you were 100% correct

Please could I ask 1 more question

In my first photo above, is the grey plug the IG1 you were talking about. It's here again to save you looking

If it is, it looks a very tight fit to get the wires connected or is there an easy way to connect. I thought of scotchlock to join them

Many thanks

John

Tags: