Author Topic: What MPG are you getting for Jazz hybrid ?  (Read 4349 times)

guest6568

What MPG are you getting for Jazz hybrid ?
« on: February 01, 2017, 02:28:29 PM »
Hello

I just bought a used 2013 Jazz hybrid with about 18k miles. I am only getting about 38 MPG for it and am a bit disappointed. I thought it would do a lot better. What MPG are you getting for yours? Just wondering if there is something not right.

Thanks

D

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: What MPG are you getting for Jazz hybrid ?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 03:30:38 PM »
A low figure like that is not uncommon, how are you using the car? Short journeys in town will ruin consumption.
With a car of that age and mileage the first thing I would do is ensure that you are using decent fuel not some of the unbranded cheap stuff that is available these days.
Get some injector cleaner, put couple of doses in the tank and fill up then give the car a good run with plenty of full throttle revs. That'll clean out the crud that may have accumulated during its life and spoiling the engine performance.

Vic.

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 05:34:22 PM »
If you can do 20 miles down the A1 behind a lorry you should be able to find peak mpg of the petrol engine, the hybrid part needs fairly controlled conditions to make much difference.  Winter and low tyre pressures both reduce mpg but you should really be getting something closer to 50mpg.  A regular 1.4 in winter will give 30 something round town, 40 something on A roads rising to 50s in summer - extreme driving can get you up to 60.

Manufacturers EC test cycle figures are often 30% better than real world figures.

Ozzie will hopefully give you his hybrid figures over nearly 200k miles.
--
TG

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 06:09:02 PM »
I averaged 58.8 mpg (based on fuel from the pump) over nearly 16k miles of mainly out-of town driving when I had a hybrid Jazz. How long have you had the car and what is your usage pattern? Short journeys in winter guzzle fuel as the engine doesn't warm up properly and heating, lights, etc also need power. The hybrid system basically recycles braking energy (so slow down gently to maximise energy recovery) but this isn't enough to keep the battery charged so some power from the engine is also used (and if the engine isn't warmed up properly - needs at least 5 miles in cold weather - then this power is generated inefficiently). There are two gauges you can watch: The hybrid system charge / assist gauge and the battery gauge (on the multi-function display). Are these showing that the hybrid system is working properly. If it is then the normal Jazz would give even worse mpg.

Honda's IMA system with its small battery isn't as good as some of the other hybrid systems. My conclusion was that the main benefit was smooth acceleration when the IMA motor helped the engine.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 06:35:29 PM »
Ozzie will hopefully give you his hybrid figures over nearly 200k miles.
--
TG
Hi,
My Jazz Hybrid averages 52mpg but that's both extremes, motorway driving and reverse manoeuvres on driving lessons with a roofsign on.
If the roofsign is off and I drive at 60mph it goes up to over 65mpg, so I am thinking if you are getting 38 mpg something is wrong with your car, or you have a heavy right foot  ;)

Tags: