Author Topic: The VW EA288 diesel engine study guide.  (Read 4984 times)

guest1372

The VW EA288 diesel engine study guide.
« on: September 01, 2016, 03:09:02 PM »
This is quite a good explanation of what's going on in the latest generation of VW diesels, the complexity and lack of repair-ability is quite amazing.  Just take a look at the intake and EGR sections.

And before this thread wanders into slander, this engine series does not include a low emissions test mode.

Sorry for the off-site link but the pdf is 3.64MB, only click the text link "VW_EA288.pdf"
--
TG

The EA288 Diesel Engine Family / Design and Function
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=13087516451121171716

[attachment deleted by admin]

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: The VW EA288 diesel engine study guide.
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 03:49:16 PM »
What a nightmare of an engine - and its exhaust fumes still capable of killing innocent people every day.  The Japs got kicked out of Euro emissions panel in around 2005 for telling Europeans that they were wasting their time with Diesels because they would never get them clean enough for ever tightening controls,  as usual the Krauts ignored them and went down the ' well if we can't meet emissions rules, we will change the rules' path - the rest is modern history.

http://green-budget.eu/diesel-cars-worse-for-climate-than-petrol/

For a long time I have believed that The Germans were put on this planet to make things more and more complicated (and expensive, which they do it very well, including their motorbikes) and the Japanese were around to simplify things and make them more efficient and better value for money,  which they do very well  :D

I first came to this conclusion this after working on Omron and Mitsubishi industrial Logic controllers, and having to then program Siemens stuff,  the truth is you can get the same end result with a lot less programming with Jap stuff,  even though the programming is much clearer and simpler -  same with their cars and most other German stuff.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 04:03:30 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 06:19:53 PM »
^^ If we can keep our language in line with BBC news guidelines we won't upset Richard.
--
TG

guest5589

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 07:07:04 PM »
^^ If we can keep our language in line with BBC news guidelines we won't upset Richard.
--
TG

what did I miss?  ;)

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 11:11:50 PM »
What a nightmare of an engine - and its exhaust fumes still capable of killing innocent people every day. 
We have that engine in my wife's Tiguan which replaced her second Jazz.  May well have had HR-V if Honda hadn't dilly-dallied in getting the car out in Europe, but she really loves the Tiguan.  It is terrifyingly complex though - I had intended to lease it, but we got offered a really good and bought one.  Then 2 weeks later the emissions news came out.

The Japs got kicked out of Euro emissions panel in around 2005 for telling Europeans that they were wasting their time with Diesels because they would never get them clean enough for ever tightening controls,  as usual the Krauts ignored them and went down the ' well if we can't meet emissions rules, we will change the rules' path - the rest is modern history.
We had a few Accord diesels at work and I remember there was a lot of hassle that they were far less economical than the offical figures.  I know that's often the case, but we were also running A4's and 3 Series and the Hondas were far worse.  That means their emissions were lot worse than claimed.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 01:51:12 PM »
The cheat VW used actually lowered engine performance and used more fuel to lower NOx emissions - that is why VW owners will not be happy with the new software,  the cars will have lower performance AND use more fuel, so using more fuel will also make CO2 emissions higher.

The fact that Honda Accord Diesels had lower mpg probably meant the the NOx (seen as the new evil) were lower but CO2 may have been higher,  but CO2 is now off the hook as the 'ultimate world destroyer' (which was probably something dreamed up by German Diesel makers anyway) and it now seems that instead of CO2 being suspected of killing people in 50 or 100 years time,  NOx is actually killing people in real time today, every time a Diesel car drives past them,  and a combination of Diesel 'black carbon' particulates and NOx cause smog and global warming worse than CO2.

The moral of this sad tale is,  never let politicians decide anything technical,  because they are normally accountants and lawyers and they just don't understand technical, common sense stuff - and will gladly take 'facts' from 'experts' - who are rarely unbiased inasmuch as 'someone' is funding them, and they often come up with the findings their paymasters want.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2016, 08:03:23 PM »
what did I miss?  ;)

A number of members complained about the posts made by another member (who will remain anonymous) going back as far as the EU referendum topic. A line was crossed last week by this member and subsequently they've been issued with a ban - the first time in nine years we've ever had to do this.

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2016, 09:11:00 AM »
Looking at illustration 1 of TG's post, I notice that there is a replaceable? filter. I wonder how much that will be. To be frank, I have never liked VW, purely a personal thing based on they never seem to come up to what is trumpeted about them.
Club Jazz enables us to put forward views, whether they are right or wrong is not the point and a lot of useful information is gleaned so isn't it sad that a member has to be banned because they over stepped common decency.
At the end of the day, we all like to think our point of view is the best and Club Jazz affords us that luxury.

Tags:

anything