Author Topic: Toyota Yaris  (Read 3802 times)

jonathan

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4SE
Toyota Yaris
« on: August 01, 2016, 03:16:23 PM »
Hi there, thought id ask a question about a yaris, I know not my favourite but my mother seems to like them... Some people have no taste  :D

She has seen a 2006 yaris t2 5dr which has only 14000 miles, only two owners, 1st was mobility owner for 1st 2 yrs then a lady for remaining years till a year ago when she traded in in for a newer Toyota at a dealership.

The problem is that the car only has one know Toyota dealer stamp at 2008. The car looks immaculate inside and outside.  It is unknown if the car has been serviced , though engine oil look new.

Is worth buying?????? I think for £2700.

I know Toyotas a ultra reliable but not sure to risk it.

Any thoughts?????

Any info would be gratefull....

Jonathan

guest5589

Re: Toyota Yaris
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 04:36:24 PM »
Hah at 14k miles its probably had just one oil change if you go by miles but if it was following yearly schedule it should have had 10 so you do the risk assessment. For me it has too little miles to be eternally reliable.

1400 miles a year = 116 miles a month *Alarm Bells*

30-40k miles would have been good but this has alarmingly low mileage. I know Toyotas do last (My 99 Yaris 1.0 was still strong at 155,000 miles and my friend's gave up the ghost at 194,000 miles) but low mileage cars are known to have other issues which are caused because nothing has ever gone up to full operating temperatures...

Difficult one to suggest really..

guest1372

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 04:57:06 PM »
There will be quite a few people who would buy the car with low mileage as a benefit, on the forum we are not opposed to high mileage with proper care.

If you can deduct the cost of a full service from the purchase price, and consider that tyres may need changing due to age rather than wear, then the price is in the right ballpark against other T2.  Most seem to be £2K > £3k with 40k to 80k miles.

Considering the internal trim won't be worn and many peoples attitude to mileage when it comes to re-sale by your mother, it stands as a fair purchase, but no outright bargain.  A 2013 T2 5d 24k is top of my search results at £5674
--
TG

jonathan

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 07:36:14 PM »
Cheers for the feedback.

I think its a case of your damned if you do and your damned if you don't..

At least Japanese cars are better built and reliable than there European counterparts generally.....

I did try and get her to buy a Jazz but she wants a Yaris. oh well.......

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 08:47:19 PM »
Women either seem to like either fairly big SUV type vehicles (Qashqai Range Rover etc.) or little tichy ones like Fiat 500, Mini or Yaris.  Given the back seat legroom and small boot on a Yaris it is just a city runabout with little room for luggage or even shopping really (bit like the Nissan Puke).   It will be a reliable car but without the amazing inner space of the Jazz that seems to defy laws of physics that something cannot be bigger on the inside than its exterior dimension - maybe the 2002 Jazz re-wrote that law  :-X
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 09:46:34 PM »
probably worth a punt for the money

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 05:00:10 PM »
Generally Yaris engines have to be grossly abused to wear badly (we have had 3 in the family and 2 currently).

I don't know what the spec is but the price sounds OK.

Job 1 would be an oil and  filter change..

jonathan

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 03:35:03 PM »
I've done some research and the car has passed all its mots except for a advisory 4 yrs ago for low tyre threads  :P

When I got the Honda jazz I rang up the previous owner, but the previous owner of the Toyota is ex-directory. shame..

Though can see the car parked outside her house on Google Earth.  aaaahh the wonders on modern technology!!!!

I have rang up a Toyota dealership and there is two outstanding recalls, airbag and door switch, told my dad to get this sorted.

madasafish, your suggestion of service is a v good idea....

Thanks for all for the posts...

Tags:

anything