Author Topic: Fitting rear mud guards?  (Read 10417 times)

jazzeck

Fitting rear mud guards?
« on: June 08, 2016, 07:14:34 AM »
Has anyone fitted rear mud guards to the new Jazz?

Instructions show removal of the rear bumper is necessary to get access to the right and left side 'fenders' to allow cutting out for fitment of self tapping clips.

Looking at the car I think it is possible to remove the 'fenders' and slipping them out without rear bumper removal.

Anyone done this job?

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
Re: Fitting rear mud guards?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 07:56:19 AM »
Not undertaken this as yet, but try the US jazz/fit website. Should be some ref to the latest models.
here > http://www.fitfreak.net/

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 08:27:49 AM »
I am in the same quandary, have fitted the front no trouble and not fancied tackling the rear if you find anything let us know, 😂

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 11:45:22 AM »
This is interesting as I have mudguards fitted to the rear of our MK2 and I have noticed that when cleaning the car, they are a little mobile and I have wondered why. All the self tappers around the edge are in place. They are Honda, fitted by Honda so, have they been fitted by not removing the rear bumper?  I must have a really good look.
Perhaps Trebor 1652, Olduser 1 and Jazzeck could explain what bracket/attachment requires the removal of the bumper so that I can have an inspect.
I can't see that MK2 mudguards differ from the MK3 ones.

jazzeck

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 12:14:25 PM »
Basically it looks like the two main self - tapping screws go into two spring nuts that are located on the bumper. It is getting access to cut the slots in the fender for these spring nuts and also their correct location on the bumper that is the essential part to proper fitment. (Rather then simply self tappers into the fender!!!)

See attachments.

I think it is possible without bumper removal, will be doing it next week when visitors away.
Also getting  other info from a very good Honda source.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Paulwhitt20

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Various
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 08:04:49 PM »
We have rear mud flaps that were fitted by the dealer when we bought it new. Now you mention it the rear bumper does not look as though it has been put back in exactly the right place. So perhaps you do need to remove the bumper.

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2016, 11:00:38 AM »
Having looked at the 'mudguards' fitted to our Jazz, it appears that there are only TWO self tappers holding them on, one at the top into the bumper and one right underneath. So it seems I have some work to do.
Thanks for the info.

jazzeck

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2016, 12:54:16 PM »
In reply to last post, the mudguards - once on, both sides have two visible self tappers facing the wheel and one 'push' clip on the bottom that is fastened to the 'fender'.

But the good news is that in fact the bumper does not require to be removed to fit the OEM mudguards - going cheap just now from Coxmotorparts!

On either side remove wheel, remove clips from fender - 3 on left, 2 on right, remove lower of the two self tappers on the bumper lip, ease the 'fender' down from behind the lining.

Cut slots as marked on the fender, drill hole for mud guard clip. DO NOT BEND EXCESSIVELY ANYWHERE!

Fit the spring nuts in the positions marked on the bumper - (Let the self tapper centre itself).

Refit the 'fender', carefully pushing between liner, fit  the self tapper first, this to  get fender position correct as to where it was before and ensure the self tapper is back in it's boss.

Refit push clips, I had problem with original inboard one on right fender, the metal location for it is awkward, but swapped it for the new clip supplied with kit and used the old on in the lower mud guard position. (The 'fingers had sprung a little?)

Fit the mud guards - check position below bumper - little notch to align, push up and in when screwing self tappers home making sure tight fit to bumper - tighten top self tapper first I think is best.

Job done. About £80 cheaper than dealer.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2016, 08:25:48 PM »
Thanks for that jazzeck I will give it a go once the weather picks up.👍

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2016, 02:03:15 PM »
Having taken a mudguard off to have a good look, the bottom self tapper was just screwed into the plastic bumper/fender.  I put  third self tapper between the two and that made the whole thing much 'stiffer'. Clearly local Honda didn't want the bother of putting the 'spire nut' in place at the bottom.
On a fine day, I might attempt to put a 'spire nut' in place.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2016, 09:38:56 AM »
Finally got round to fitting the rear mudguard to my Jazz.
Easy job as jazzeck says. No need to remove bumpers just the wheels to give you access.
My alloys had started to "grow together" with the steel hubs so they were cleaned and a thin layer of grease applied.
The other problem was the quality of Hondas fixing/mounting screws because the threads stripped, so replacements had to be found.
All in all allow an hour and the job is done.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2016, 10:01:09 AM »
I stopped using mudflaps many years ago when I found that they flex in the airflow around the car and from water Impacts. This combined with the grit that gets trapped behind them damages the paint. I don't drive in mud or on dirt roads, mud washes off easily and they certainly don't do anything to keep a car clean on dirty roads.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 10:06:32 AM by Deeps »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2016, 10:15:22 AM »
Mud flaps, especially rear ones (most cars today have very short rear overhang) can stop stones being kicked up and maybe reduce the high rate of windscreen breakage these days.

On the downside they can get trapped / damaged when reversing car up to kerbs.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 12:28:01 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

trebor1652

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2016, 05:22:10 PM »
One things for certain these won't flex or bend.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2016, 05:36:03 PM »
One things for certain these won't flex or bend.

They may be rigid but they will move. Check between them and the bodywork in a year, I would put money on there being damage to the paint from the road surface debris that collects between them and the bodywork.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 12:24:39 PM by Deeps »

Tags:

anything