Author Topic: cooling fan  (Read 11188 times)

guest5251

cooling fan
« on: September 30, 2015, 08:36:49 PM »
tonight i used the jazz only to go about 1 mile ,the outside temp was 16 deg's
when i was waiting to check the tyre pressures the cooling fan kept
cutting in & out is this normal for the jazz after such a short run,i am still to check
the coolant reservoir level with the system being pressurised.
has anyone else noticed this.
the car had been switched off for about 2 hrs since its last journey.

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
Re: cooling fan
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 08:43:34 PM »
have you got the a/c on? if it is then that's ok its meant to do that

guest5251

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 10:07:34 PM »
yes we have aircon but it was turned off

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 07:28:39 AM »
How long were you waiting in the queue and was the engine running? I wouldn't expect the engine to have reached the full operating temperature in only one mile but if you were in the queue for some minutes with the engine running then it wouldn't be getting any natural ventilation and need to use the fan. The hybrid has auto idle stop but there are conditions when it doesn't activate.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

guest5251

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 10:03:21 AM »
a couple of minutes i had been waiting in the queue, initially the stop / start system cut in but then in true honda fashion the system stopped working and the engine restarted if the stop / start system worked the engine wouldn't of had to run so therefore no cooling fan would be needed, i have just spoken to honda and they are said its normal ,but i dont believe them ,right now i am on edge about it as i feel it isn't right ,its my partners car and she always has our toddler with her so the car has to be reliable,i feel the need to get rid and buy another brand

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 12:03:13 PM »
The auto-stop disabling itself when you are in a stop-start queue is normal for the hybrid. Whether it is necessary is another matter. I think the car decides that one of the batteries isn't completely charged and therefore has to run the engine to try to top it up.  It's one of the features of Honda's hybrid system that you have to get used to.

guest5251

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2015, 01:25:56 PM »
i am use to hybrid all be it from lexus,and i am seriously considering going to toyota
to buy a yaris hybrid for kath instead of this car,as the coolant loss is of concern to me,
honda say this is normal but coolant loss isn't the norm,and the warning light for overheating
when that comes on means your in trouble.

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 05:22:45 PM »
you shouldn't use a drop of coolant, at cold it should be at the max mark then rise a couple of inches above max when driving and then back down to max when cold if it is filled any more than that it will come out of the top of the overflow bottle till it reaches the correct level
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 05:26:35 PM by monkeydave »

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2015, 05:59:26 PM »
My hybrid Jazz never used any coolant in over four years. Just make sure the overflow bottle is above Min when the engine is cold.

If you are getting an engine overheating warning light (which I've never seen on a Jazz) then something is wrong with the cooling system and this will trigger side effects such as the auto idle stop not working.

guest5251

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015, 08:36:47 PM »
we haven't had the warning light on ,but coolant reservoir had lost some coolant and the fan last night just didn't want to stop ,nearly solved our issues today but the boot on the yaris hybrid is too small so we are stuck with the jazz for the time being

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2015, 09:16:55 PM »
I am starting to wonder if the coolant isn't circulating properly due to the water pump or thermostat malfunctioning. This could easily trigger excess fan activity if the temperature sensor is in the engine block although the water in the radiator isn't that hot.

guest5251

• Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2015, 07:05:21 PM »
i have just used my obdii adapter which gives you the coolant temperrature
and at 85' with the car standing still the cooling fan cuts in ,and that i am sure is way to early
id be expecting the fan to cut in around 97' - 100' with the thermostat having a
operating temperature of around 92'

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2015, 08:57:24 PM »
If the fan is operating before the thermostat opens then something's amiss. However, what is the correct operating temperature for the thermostat? http://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-generation-gd-01-08/80555-anyone-install-warmer-thermostat.html suggests about 180F (which is 82C). I would have expected the trigger temperature for the fan to be somewhat higher so that the radiator has opportunity to do some natural cooling before the fan cuts in.

An internet search suggests that the thermostat for the Jazz should be rated at 78C to 82C (the temperature at which it starts to open). In this case you've probably got a sticking thermostat. The old-fashioned test is to put in a pan of water on a cooker and heat it up. You will also need a thermometer reading up to 100C.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 09:16:44 PM by John Ratsey »

guest5251

• Topic Starter
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2015, 12:32:32 PM »
its still under warranty and on the 10th its back into honda for its service,85' to me isn't letting the engine run up to temp ,last night the fan cut in for a short time cut out then both fans cut in sitting on the drive but the temp was still 85' ,there is definately something amiss with this car.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2015, 01:02:18 PM »
Ask to talk through the issue with the service manager, then put your concerns in writing to Honda & the dealership, these days it pays to log your concerns. Dealers in general dont care to trace/rectify issues just book time to charge the customer.

Tags: